The SuperBowl half-time show

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
That was the most glorious ending to any spectacle I've ever seen!

Justin Timberlake gave us all a suprise there, didn't he?!

:D :D :D :D ;) :cool: :eek:

well the show was horrible

as to the end, I thought I was seeing something, but I guess not......HOLY SMOKES!!!

Since when is the Superbowl not fit for family viewing?

I'm MAD! Who do I need to e-mail.

Now...how do I explain this to my 12 yr old son....my 8 yr old son...and my 7 yr old daughter....My wife and I just looked at each other. No bedtime story tonight. I've got to explain what is acceptable behaviour to my innocent little children. What are we filling their minds with?!?!?!?!

This was a sad visual statement on the current moral condition of our country......

John

The big finale....Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson singing a little ditty....bumping and grinding with each other the whole time....just before the very end of the "song"....Young Mr. Timberlake reaches over and rips off Miss Jackson's quick release boob/bra cup holder and exposes her breast (with paisty over the nipple) to all of the world on TV.

I'm still in shock.

John

Originally posted by OKTurbo
The big finale....Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson singing a little ditty....bumping and grinding with each other the whole time....just before the very end of the "song"....Young Mr. Timberlake reaches over and rips off Miss Jackson's quick release boob/bra cup holder and exposes her breast (with paisty over the nipple) to all of the world on TV.

I'm still in shock.

John

Just tryin' to compete w/ the old Madonna/Britney kiss is all...

I totally missed it. I was in the middle of cleaning out the storage closet. (Gotta make more room for rocket tools!) Ah well...that is inappropriate for public viewing I'd say.

Was it planned?

It seems like it wasn't because even JJ looked shocked.

As far as the kid factor - My two young sons (8 and 6) were watching too, and it just blew right over their heads. If they didn't realize what just happened, they sure didn't care. The only reason they'll remember is if I go and make a big deal out of it by bringing it back up and explaining anything "moral" about it one way or the other.

I thought it was HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELarious!

Wrong has become right,
and right has become wrong.

What upsets me is the minority has a stronger voice in this country than the majority (Because the majority of the people still know right from wrong). And they are tearing down the strong moral foundations that built this country...

I can go on... but I don't want to force my opinion on others...

Originally posted by n3tjm
Wrong has become right,
and right has become wrong.

What upsets me is the minority has a stronger voice in this country than the majority (Because the majority of the people still know right from wrong). And they are tearing down the strong moral foundations that built this country...

I can go on... but I don't want to force my opinion on others...

I hope that you are not saying that it I can't identify "right from wrong" because I found that funny.

This is a classic example of the 3 Stooges paradigm. Many times, Mo would give Larry or Curly a big whack on the head or grab their noses between his two fingers.

Wrong? Yes.

Funny? Sure.

What's the difference?

Or Tom & Jerry Cartoons. Their constantly whacking each other with indescribably violence.

Wrong? Yes.

Funny?

Do you see my point?

I am not arguing that this is problem, however.

Fore Check...I see your point, but to me this is an entirely different thing.

If I was watching a show where I knew things of an adult nature would be shown/heard .... with a bunch of guys/adult friends....OK...maybe...BUT during the SUPERBOWL!

THIS is the problem with America's kids. There are no boundaries anymore to what is acceptable behaviour. I watched Tom & Jerry...the Roadrunner...The A-team...Black Sheep Squadron...The 3 Stooges...etc...etc...

BUT never did I see a woman's bare breast during prime time network television as a child. What is someone going to do next to top that? Erosion of values...plain and simple.

John

There are things that belong on television, and there are things that don't.

The deciding criteria, for me, were set in stone thousands of years ago, have not changed, and never will change.

My perspective on this sort of thing has definitely changed, from the time in my life when I was a lusty young lad until the time when I have acquired a more mature perspective. Since I now have a 15 year old daughter, I am not too crazy about the idea of some boy walking up to her, ripping off her clothing, and thinking it is 'funny.'

Probably, when you have kids that you are responsible for, you will see things differently too.

And this whole thread is getting too close to an on-line spat, something that TRF has been pretty free from, so maybe we should just agree to disagree.

I must say that I saw the show, and was enjoying it mildly - until the surprise ending. No, I'm not a prude, but that moment made me realize just how low the morals are on this planet.

And IF that wasn't supposed to happen, why else would she have had a pasty on ?..

*gets down off of soap box*

I find the Stooges funny. I find Tom n Jerry funny. This I do not find funny.

That being said, I find it a lot less offensive than when I had to explain a few years ago that just because the leader of the free world has found creative uses for a cigar, that this doesn't make it right.

It's a scary state of affairs when those we put on pedestals are chosen from the pool of Jerry Springer guest wannabes. :mad:

I think the Jackson incident is just a very sour ending to a tasteless halftime show. The thing that I found extremely offensive was Kid Rock wearing an American flag as a poncho.
Bob

Call me crazy, but I find much more difficulty teaching and fostering sensitivity for other people and their feelings/being in my children rather than teaching them the inapporpriateness of giggling at a boobie.

Violence on tv/movies is everywhere and sickeningly pervasive. I find myself scolding my children most often for being rough with each other (two young boys - go figure) and or getting rough with their playmates and thinking nothing of it than I do anything else.

It all starts with basic respect for the other person. Or glassed over and accepted views regarding simple violence in entertainment is supremely more destructive to the fabric of society than the limits pushed by that move during the halftime show last night.

If everyone respected the person next to them enough so that there would be no giggles at their ill fortune - let alone a feeling of empathy if they were physically hurt - rather than turning away because of complacency, things like the "flash" would never occur because the respect level would already be there.

Getting off my soapbox now, but what we saw last night is merely a symptom of a larger, more serious problem - not the main issue here.

These, of course, are simply my opinions.

Hmmm...

I watched the halftime show and thought that the whole thing was just lame.

My thoughts:

Why was Janet Jackson even in the show? Does she even have a new record out? Or was it to take away some of the public attention from her brother?

Kid Rock: saw the flag thing. As soon as I saw him with the flag on, I thought I would be offended, but I did notice that he did not let it touch the ground when he removed it. Nor did the guitar player he then passed it to. To me, it was just another 'wrapping yourself in the flag' ploy like or politicians of all parties do all the time.

I missed the ending of Justin/Janet part. I guess I was so bored by that time that I had walked away.

The game though, well that was one of the best I had seen in years. You cannot beat a nail biter to the finish!!

I must say I was not impressed by the half-time show one bit. I was very upset at Kid Rock wearing the flag. He actually cut a hole in it!:mad:

To make matters worse, I missed the Janet thing at the end. Everyone in the room started yelling and I had just looked down at my chili :rolleyes:

The game was pretty cool though. That was the first time I actually watched a football game from beginning to end. I was pleasantly surprised.:)

Originally posted by Fore Check
Violence on tv/movies is everywhere and sickeningly pervasive.

And what is our national sport/religion? It is a game where eleven big sweaty guys line up against eleven similar freaks of nature, someone says go, and they all beat their brains out against each other. Someone says rest, and then they start it all over again. And again. And . . . you have to wonder just how intelligent this game is.

Having said that, yes it was a good game, yes it was a stupid half-time show (but we should get used to this, every year will have to be 'bigger' than the last), but the on-stage rape served absolutely no purpose. It wasn't sexy, it didn't fit the song, it just got thrown in for shock value. I don't think that belongs on television. If you want to do this crap, show it on cable or PPV, but don't show it to my kids in my living room.

Having said that, yes it was a good game, yes it was a stupid half-time show (but we should get used to this, every year will have to be 'bigger' than the last), but the on-stage rape served absolutely no purpose. It wasn't sexy, it didn't fit the song, it just got thrown in for shock value. I don't think that belongs on television. If you want to do this crap, show it on cable or PPV, but don't show it to my kids in my living room. [/B][/QUOTE]

I couldn't have said it any better Powderburner! and Silverleaf is also correct.. this awful display was planned from the beginning. All these appologies are pure Bull!

Fore Check: I assume from your screen name you either play or like to watch Hockey. One if not the THE most Violent games today... Violence is a part of everyday life... Take care what you are teaching your children.. tolerance and sensitivity are great traits as long as you also teach them not only to turn the other cheek "once" but also carry a very big stick! My father a Boxer in his WW-II military days, taught me to respect the rights of others... Never start a fight... but never walk away from one either! defending yourself is not a bad thing. I mean WE REALLY DO NOT WANT TO BECOME FRENCH now do we?

The upshot of all of this is the Network has said today that they will no longer let MTV be any part of thier network (to little to late)

Originally posted by Micromister
Having said that, yes it was a good game, yes it was a stupid half-time show (but we should get used to this, every year will have to be 'bigger' than the last), but the on-stage rape served absolutely no purpose. It wasn't sexy, it didn't fit the song, it just got thrown in for shock value. I don't think that belongs on television. If you want to do this crap, show it on cable or PPV, but don't show it to my kids in my living room.

I couldn't have said it any better Powderburner! and Silverleaf is also correct.. this awful display was planned from the beginning. All these appologies are pure Bull!

Fore Check: I assurme from your screen name you either play or like to watch Hockey. One if not the THE most Violent games today... Violence is a part of everyday life... Take care what you are teaching you children.. tolerance and sensitivity are great trates as long as you also teach them not only to turn the other cheek "once" but also to carry a very big stick! My father a Boxer in his WW-II military days, taught me to respect the rights of others... Never start a fight but never walk away from one either! defending yourself is not a bad thing. I mean WE REALLY DO NOT WANT TO BECOME FRENCH now do we? [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't buy the argument of violence in sports unless it's dirty. Hockey being a great example. Solid, hard checks are a part of the game. They are fun.

High sticking an opponent in the chops because you don't like him is bad. And there is a penalty for that. Contact within the context of the game = good. Punching the guy in the nose = bad = penalty.

Contact sports do not imply violence, IMO. Unnecessary Roughness is the part I don't want my kids to learn.

As far as my kids and the turning the other cheek issue: I agree that a kid must stick up for himself. I have no problem with that. I just don't want them to make the next kid have to stick up for him/herself, you know what I mean?

"On-stage rape"??????

Wow. :rolleyes:

Just to set the record straight for those who don't know. Apparently MTV is sponsering JJ's new album coming out. So they advertized, "See JJ at the halftime show, something shocking is going to happen." MTV claims they didn't know what it ways. Yeah right. But the boobie thing was very planned and she was covered even though it didn't look like it. It was done to promote her new album. How pathetic is that? Anyway, the halftime shows have been horrible since I was a kid. They just need to stop having them, period. :)

Human acceptance: Those who agree with me must be genious, those who do not agree must be idiots. :)

Now from my perspective: I thought the half time show was lame and the music bad. Did not appreciate the hole cut in the flag but I fought and lost that issue in the 60's - thank you supreme court.

I was actually surprised when JJ came on stage, thats the most clothing I had ever seen her in. The end I believe the world could have done without. On the other hand, you see much the same thing 3 or 4 night per week on WWE produced shows. This does not make it right yet it is the way it is.

Now on the positive side: there were a couple great things in this production. One of the best games in years just because it was a cliff hanger right up to the last second ... event two was getting to see an Initiator rocket courtesy of Damon Wayons and Yahoo (I believe), during a commercial.

I mean WE REALLY DO NOT WANT TO BECOME FRENCH now do we?

Micro, ROTFL, I think I would have liked your dad!

Was there a game yesterday???

I rented a couple of videos.

"Bruce Almighty" was well...kinda strange, but very clean...not even any foul launguage...until the outakes at the end.

sandman

Hum,... May be a good time to post a plug for Nascar. Sure there are some irritated drivers once in a while, but much less bad press about drivers than any other sports athletes. I hope that doesn't change. No half time crap to watch either. Just rain delay dribble:mad:

Larry

event two was getting to see an Initiator rocket courtesy of Damon Wayons and Yahoo (I believe), during a commercial.

What was the commercial about? Was the Initiator flying?

Fore Check - You can't forget...fighting is one of the best parts of the game, IMO. Nothing adds to a game like a good fight. They're rare though, and every now and then it's acceptable.

Hockey is a man's sport. In the playoffs, teams battle nose to nose for 4 to 7 games a series, then shake hands at the end of it all. Says a lot, as it's the only professional mens sport that does so. I know that after every one of our games (High School) we shake hands.

What happens on the ice, stays on the ice.

Back