The strongest rocket motor on the market

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmazanec1

Reaction score
Just perusing rocketry stores, the strongest rocket motors I see for sale are N. Is that the top, and anything stronger you have to make yourself?

There are Os available, too. Cesaroni has a 150mm O8000, and I think a couple others. Even certified!

Mikey

CTI O25000 - 6000 lbs of thrust.

[youtube]Jl9JIsEkrlc[/youtube]

AA3312760LOX/LH2 (that's as much power as 2 'Z' motors).

Burn Time is 367 seconds. Total impulse is over 120 million Newton-seconds. Motor is plugged, no ejection charge. No reloadable case, motor is single use, preassembled. It is Clusterable, 3 have successfully clustered in the Delta IV Heavy demonstration rocket by United Launch Alliance. (ULA)
2 of the motors were booster motors (parallel staging) and the last was the first stage.

The vendor is United Launch Alliance. They specialize in extreme high power.
The motor's trade name is "Common Booster Core"
I couldn't find a price, you'll have to contact United Launch Alliance to get a quote I think.

The drawbacks are that you need a special launch tower (available at Cape Canaveral of Vandenburg Air Force Base.) Shipping is pricey and difficult and there's probably a hazmat fee if you ship through a commercial company.

The motor is not officially certified by NAR, TRa, or CAR, but that's not because it's unsafe; There's just so little demand for AA class motors in the rocketry community these days.

Ok, jokes aside, yes, the biggest commercially avalible motor is an O. People have successfully created amateur (homemade) motors up to an S though. That's not something anyone can do though, making amateur motors, especially without extensive knowledge and many years of practice. I saw that you weren't interested, which is good, at least for your safety and my stress levels. Not so much for the companies that sell to rocket motor makers.

As for high power rockets, you'll find that as motors get bigger, prices do too. Launches are more expensive and mistakes are even more. If you've only flown low power, try a mid power, E-G rocket to get the feel before you venture into high power. Then, if you like it, first, work on building techniques like fillets and technical things like dual deployment, since there are more stresses and more altitude gained in a high power flight. This way you don't screw up a really big project.
If you're still into it at this point, get level 1 and maybe level 2. Many people choose not to get level 3 because the certification flight is likely the only time they'll use the motor and the rocket and motor can cost several thousand dollars each.
If you want to get the certifications and fly really big motors though, the people at TRF are really helpful and I'm fairly certain will lead you through.

Good luck.
I hope this was helpful in some way.

-Tony

We used one of the single-use O25000 motors on the 1:1 scale V2. Search for "world record rocket" on facebook. Burn time is a bit short! Would be a beast of a motor in a smaller rocket.

10891971_760455147356108_78144444612047503_n.jpg V2 motor fit adjustmentres.jpg

Thanks for the link Coyote!
I'll be jumping on one of those AA's right now.
Anybody wanna chip in on it?

But yes, in my short time in HPR, I've only heard of O being the biggest you can buy.

Thanks for the link Coyote!
I'll be jumping on one of those AA's right now.
Anybody wanna chip in on it?

But yes, in my short time in HPR, I've only heard of O being the biggest you can buy.

If ya' gotta ask the price, ya' can't afford them :D

Not sure what's gotten into me today - guess I'm just acting weird :headspinning:

Just wanted to say - the "strongest" rocket motor I //(all 3 of us - me, myself, and I) // can buy is the Aerotech F25.

Just to be sure, I looked it up on Thurstcurve.

https://www.thrustcurve.org/

Wildman used to have P motors. Don't know if he has any left or not but they were a specialty motor for, if I remember right, staging. You can even find video of him flying them on youtube. And if you partner with an EXer that likes making motors the AP is the limit.

Tried to bargain with these guys, told 'em "Well then, I'll just buy it from one of those vendors in China. They all advertise free shipping. So THERE!" Didn't work, they were firm on the price.

I don't have the money right now, but I'll have it as soon as that Nigerian prince gets back to me. I'm gonna be a millionaire!!

:)
Best -- Terry

Hmm . . , I wonder what an AEROTECH "Warp 9" N motor would be like ?

I’m sure similar to the old CTI N10,000

If I had my druthers, I would opt for an N in ATs “Super White Lightning” propellant. However, it’s a moot point as I’m along way from ever flying an N...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that NFPA 1127, which applies to HPR, states that the maximul impulse allowed in 40,960 Ns, which is the limit for an O motor. The CTI O8000 is right up to the line. So where NFPA rules are in effect, you'll find nothing better (impulse-wise).

But like others, I'll probably never go for my L3 because the motors are just so darn expensive. In Ns/$ they're really not so bad, but that doesn't make the bank account hurt any less.

Last edited:
Back