The Star Trooper Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blades

Reaction score
The Star Trooper always struck me as a cool little rocket. I like the esthetics of the long, slender fins. I decided to use some of the Estes Leviathan parts to make an upscaled Trooper. The nose cone is about as close in shape as you could want. It comes out to 5.5X scale. I took a page from the Mega Der Red Max and cut laminated fins. 1/8" ply makes up the core with two pieces of 3/32" balsa sandwiching the fin. The balsa was then papered, mainly to give a clean surface for finishing.
20160706_222001.jpg
20160707_132948.jpg
This is the dry fit of the Star Trooper. At the base, is standing a stock Trooper.
20160707_212231.jpg

:clap::clap:
When I saw TopRamen's CF Trooper and the 18mm upscale, I got the idea that going even bigger would be a lot of fun. I'm kind of thinking that I'll have to keep the really big version in the back of my mind if I ever go for my L1 cert. Until then, I'll just have to build an upscale or two of my own..

Yeah, Top Ramen got me thinking about it. I could see going even bigger, 4 or 5" tubes, although the 3" version makes for a good sized rocket. I'm going with a 29mm mount, but there's no reason why it couldn't take more.

That's awesome!

I am planning a 5" foam based version as soon as I'm done with a few other projects.
I estimate it would weigh around 30oz., so 29mm and no L1 needed. :wink:

She's finished. First time using vinyl decals from Stickershock, must say, I'm impressed.
20160805_134224.jpg
20160805_134238.jpg

OH YEAH!!!!!

That is too awesome!!!!!!

Please do get a launch video!
Those Fins are going to look amazing in flight!

What was your final weight, and which motors do you have scheduled for it?

Very nice work indeed, and what a marvel of a bird you have now!:clap:

I love it!

Final weight comes it at 19.25 oz. First flight will probably be on a F-15 bp motor, after that, I could see putting her up on a G76 (my favorite midpower motor).

I was just thinking that my next project should be an upscale Star Trooper since I have 18, 24 and 29 mm tube looking for a rocket. My current thinking is to build it as a 24mm MD rocket so that I can fly it on 18mm motors with and adapter on the small fields that I usually have access to. You and TR have me thinking along the lines of upscaling some of the classics and having them ready for an L1 flight when the time comes (DD Chuter Two? Or would I need to actually design it for three events?)

Latest posts

Back