The so long has released

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That might be my favorite Rocket Estes has ever made, That being said, my Sub Min Diameter F-15-8 simms at 2850 feet and it's almost out of sight on a clear day. . Can you even see a rocket the size of a So Long at 3,600 feet? I could just build it as a single.
It does have specifics on flying as a single stage... And I'd add a little ribbon made of silver mylar to the ends of the streamers to help add a little sparkle to it coming down (if the light is right).

It uses streamers... A pair of them.
I am using the GPS for the telemetry data and to wow my friends as it calls out the altitude. I may have the parachute wiggle room if I use the JLCR.
I want to see how high I can get on current production Black Powder motors alone.
Someone chime in? Where else to go than a pair of black Powder F15's?
amendment: In a production rocket. ie not homemade, or clusters, I think you know what I mean?

Last edited:
I plan to put my Featherweight GPS in the nose and a JLCR on the chute.
As has already been shown, the JLCR isn’t going to fit. There are other electronics options that fit in even smaller tubes - the Adrel DeployMax from North Coast, a range of Eggtimer products - the So long is a perfect candidate for dual deploy with $20 Eggtimer Quark - but Cris has several other Eggtimer altimeters that would fit.

I like BT-55s/56s for 24mm mounts and on the BT56 I have flown 29mm mounts on an H50 Ellis Motor. Lighter and no need for the weight of heavy wall 29mm tubes I have.

A 29mm MD Goblin would actually be a down Scale.

I like BT-55s/56s for 24mm mounts and on the BT56 I have flown 29mm mounts on an H50 Ellis Motor. Lighter and no need for the weight of heavy wall 29mm tubes I have.

A 29mm MD Goblin would actually be a down Scale.

There's also thinner-wall version of the 29mm MMT tubing.

Quest 30mm
Apogee 29MM X 13" BODY TUBE
BMS
T30mm-341.181(30mm)x1.141(28.981mm)x 34 in long$3.00BUY

are all the same as far as I can tell. Same ID as 29mm MMT, but 0.020 or so wall thickness.

Agreed. It’d be a good option for 24mm mounts, not quite as bulky as BT-55s.
A lot heavier though. The volume of cardboard in BT55 is 0.555 cc per cm of length. The volume of cardboard in one cm heavy wall 29mm motor tube as Estes seem to be using is 0.834 cc.
There's also thinner-wall version of the 29mm MMT tubing.

Quest 30mm
Apogee 29MM X 13" BODY TUBE
BMS
T30mm-341.181(30mm)x1.141(28.981mm)x 34 in long$3.00BUY

are all the same as far as I can tell. Same ID as 29mm MMT, but 0.020 or so wall thickness.
There's also Rocketry Works tubing, claimed to be 1.168x1.137. The others mostly differ slightly in claimed specs too. It would be interesting to know if all of this is the same tubing with various degrees of measurement error.

My Min Diameter F-15-8 Rocket uses a heavy duty tube for the motor section (Vintage Centuri T-30 in Black) and standard tube upper body taken from a Quest Penetrator kit. 3 flights with no issues other that reattaching a fin after it's second flight. Considering the black paint started to melt when launched on a hot day it's probably good that I used Heavy duty tubing for the motor/Fin section. A quest Penetrator kit is one of the cheapest ways to get a 29mm nose cone and upper body tube. Without a reflective streamer recovery would be impossible as this rocket goes out of sight.

Attachments

• IMG_6202.jpg
    IMG_6202.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That might be my favorite Rocket Estes has ever made. Can you even see a rocket the size of a So Long at 3,600 feet? My Scratch built Sub Min Diameter F-15-8 simms at 2850 feet and it's almost out of sight on a clear day.
I bet you could if you painted it with Rustoleum bright coat metallic paint and flew it on a sunny day. That stuff is mirror-like when it dries.

I bet you could if you painted it with Rustoleum bright coat metallic paint and flew it on a sunny day. That stuff is mirror-like when it dries.
You aren't kidding. I've been waiting to launch my Pegasus painted with Rustoleum Bright Coat on a sunny day. Unfortunately you can't touch the paint when dry or it starts to melt and loses the mirror finish.

Attachments

• IMG_5416.jpg
    IMG_5416.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 0
Ok I’m like a kid again. Just ordered the So Long. Looking forward to seeing some of the build ideas in here

Are you applying the new floor wax in the bottle with green writing that suppose to have taken over for the old Pledge? How are you applying it? I seen some posts in the past where guys were using a foam brush and said to just paint it on and let dry.

I'll be ordering 2, though I'll see if my LHS can get them before ordering online. No electronics, probably not even a tracker - I'd rather lose a $40 rocket than a $150 tracker!

I'll be ordering 2, though I'll see if my LHS can get them before ordering online. No electronics, probably not even a tracker - I'd rather lose a $40 rocket than a $150 tracker!

Might as well make it an $11 rocket. Just build this MD and retain the motor with tape.

https://www.acsupplyco.com/quest-1020

Back