The simple High Power Two Stage (Metallic Bliss)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want that mirror finish you will need more sanding and polishing.....
2000, 3000 grit can be found at most auto parts stores.

JD
I spent $5 at the local hardware store and bought an ultra fine sandpaper set and metal polishing kit. 500, 600,1000,1200grit. Sanded all the fins to a uniform 1200grit finish left them silky smooth. But not mirror like. (The goal of course)
The polishing kit was just a cloth wheel and white and red rougue. The white is supposed to be for aluminum. I am very happy with the finish. Not quite a mirror, but extremely reflective. I may try some other things but am not disappointed with finish that is there.

Tell me what you think.

View attachment 108444

View attachment 108445

View attachment 108446

View attachment 108440

View attachment 108441

View attachment 108442

View attachment 108443

If you want that mirror finish you will need more sanding and polishing.....
2000, 3000 grit can be found at most auto parts stores.

JD

Yes that is the plan. Hopefully soon.

I put a coat of gloss black on the sustainer yesterday.

I will post pictures when I get home later tomorrow.

Try crocus cloth. It polishes things to a crazy shiny extent.

Mark Hayes has done it again.

Incredibly cool. Super impressed.

Sustainer has now been officially christened Metallic Bliss 1 with a set of decals for the Booster Metal Bliss 2. Both will be able to fly individually so they might as well has names for each.

Mark is so awesome I can not say that enough.

Pictures!!!

image-449917701.jpg

image-1460867800.jpg

image-1972837684.jpg

image-2438613056.jpg

image-43538088.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Should fly on a CTI J140 LONG BURN at next Weeks ROC launch. That is going to be AWESOME! And if that goes well perhaps a K261 6grain Long Burn. Could do 15k.

I start school in a week and then can start cutting the fins for the booster.

I saw the videos... It didn't spin much on the I212, but it spun fairly rapidly on that J354. I wonder if that's the camera's fault...

When I get access to a computer. (Today is the first day of starting my 24unit semester) I will post the video and stills. Unless you (Carlo, Jared, Chris) want to post up my Facebook album with the photos and the YouTube videos.

The spin was expected. These fins are metal. They bend. End of story.

When I tested to see if the fin can can hold my my weight. Which it did, but it slightly bowed the two fins apart. I re bent them (you can't tell by looking at it) and was planning on adjusting them onsite after the first flight. I forgot to add since it wasn't so evident on the first flight it never caught my attention. However since the second flight was about twice as fast and three times the altitude it was a problem for the onboard video. I made a small adjustment to one of the fins that may slightly or fully correct the problem. I don't think it was an inherent problem of the machining.

Picture and video to come. Soon.

March 9th. Two stage flight to ~16kft. Should be safe. And awesome!

Yup, that was me. And no worries, I am similarly poor with names. :cyclops:

It's the sketch-sled! (As I am want to call it)

Who needs right angles anyway?

I heard things ended...well, they ended. Apparently.

Details?

Aft closure on the booster let go. But the rocket was a second or so into the burn... so the sustainer lit and flew quite well. I'll let Bryce give the details.

Back