The scoop on 808 cameras

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smstachwick

LPR/MPR sport flier with an eye to HPR and scale
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After hearing repeated mention of the 808 keychain cameras so often used for rocket-mounted video, I have been able to dig up very little information on them. Obviously there are a number for sale online but who developed them? Who manufactures them now? How did the designation come about? And when did they first become available?

Thanks in advance for any information, my curiosity has been gnawing away at me for quite a while now.

Last edited:
https://www.chucklohr.com/808/ should answer your questions if you read it all.

FWIW I only buy these from eletoponline365 on ebay, the #16 (OOP) and #32. There are some good threads on rcgroups (for example, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3785927-The-Original-32-Camera-Support-Thread-(Read-Posts-1-5-BEFORE-POSTING!) ) but the supply situation is ever-changing. You should expect to pay about $40 or so for one of these; anything cheaper will probably be low-resolution.
From what I gather, the TL;DR is that they’re manufactured by Chinese companies that flaunt the rules on everything from false advertising to lead content to IP theft. Fun!

FWIW there is some evidence suggesting that the #16, #32, and Mobius were designed by the same people and I've found their quality and reliability to be acceptable over the years. And they're compatible with Additive Aerospace shrouds. The #3 was good for its time (VGA resolution) but is long OOP, and equivalents I have purchased elsewhere have been junk.

If you don't want to buy electronics made in China, you won't find yourself with many options. :)

I bought a couple 808 cameras years ago for $1 each. They were charged via USB, but if you charged them too long, their batteries were ruined and they will never work again. That happened to one of the two I had. I got some 480p movies out of the other until it's battery also died.

I now have a RunCam 2 4K camera. You can also buy 3D printed shrouds for the RunCam for various diameter BTs.

Back