The scale of Apollo--wrapping my head around the size of the beast!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m gonna study my Lego Saturn V before I go to KSC in a couple weeks do I know what to expect. Sort of like Richard Dreyfus learning Devils Tower from his mashed potato creation. :)

Be aware, the saturnV hall is via bus tour ($)

That was my experience too. It is so big it is a little hard for the brain to reconcile, even after seeing the Saturn 1B.

Back in the 80's, I saw the Saturn V at the Johnson Space Center when it was still displayed in the weather and more recently, I've been to Huntsville and saw what they have.

As a comparable event where it was tough to wrap my brain around, I interviewed at Electric Boat in Groton, CT, in my senior year of college back in the late 70's. The yard tour took me to the building where Los Angeles class fast attack subs were being assembled. If I recall correctly, they were about 30-feet in diameter and 300-feet long. I had never seen a single machine that large. A few minutes later, we went into the "barn" where the Ohio and its sister boats were going together. That was roughly 50-feet in diameter and 500-feet long. Inconceivable.

A couple of years later, I was on a ferry from New London to Block Island and we passed a boomer making its way down the river to Long Island Sound. Well submerged but still very impressive.

Here is another comparison for you regarding just how massive the Saturn V was.

The rockets in this photo are all 1:72 scale except for the larger LM on the left which is 1:48.
The cars, a green 69 Camaro on the left and gold 69 Cutlass on the right are also 1:72 scale as are the people! If you enlarge the photo or look closely enough you can see two guys sitting on the Saturn V stand and others standing around the cars.

This puts it in even better perspective for me.

Sat V comparisons.JPG

We saw a shuttle launch and the same week did a KSC visit.

The scale becomes very apparent when you walk into the building @ KSC where Apollo 18 is on display. It's a very well done exhibit.

It's something I'll never forget as long as I live. It's hard to describe the feeling of pride and awe.

Last edited:
Here is another comparison for you regarding just how massive the Saturn V was.

The rockets in this photo are all 1:72 scale except for the larger LM on the left which is 1:48.
The cars, a green 69 Camaro on the left and gold 69 Cutlass on the right are also 1:72 scale as are the people! If you enlarge the photo or look closely enough you can see two guys sitting on the Saturn V stand and others standing around the cars.

This puts it in even better perspective for me.

View attachment 377647
That's cool.

Saw the one at KSC in '85, standing next to it, it went on forever! That was one thirsty beast

Back