The Rockets in Spain fall mainly in the plain?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Last summer I participated in a neighborhood outreach with a local church (not mine) where we helped the kids build Art Applewhite paper saucer rockets and launch them. This past week, I have been helping the youth leader (who thought the whole rocket thing was REALLY cool) from that church put together some stuff so that he can do the same with his nephews. His nephews (and by extension their parents) live as missionaries to Spain and are in the States on furlough. Their mom thought that the "rocket thing" would be great to do for a children's program in Spain this summer when they return home. Obviously we can supply paper rockets and even launch equipment purchased right here in the good old USA, but motors obviously can't be carried in their luggage or even shipped to them from here. I have also warned them that, in Spain, this may well be cost prohibitive.

Does anyone know where they could acquire A10-PT motors (or equivalent) in Spain? Are these sold in local hobby shops, etc. or some specialty store, or special ordered? I know George Gassaway and the Internats team were in Spain last summer, do any of you know any Spanish rocketeers who could point these folk in the right direction? Does anyone here live in Spain?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bump.

That's a great idea, but does anyone here have a Spanish connection? When the US team traveled to the internats, where did they buy motors?

I'd love to hear from George Gassaway or any of the other US team members.

By the way, the report I have is that my friend's launch with his nephews went great and they're still very interested in finding a way to do this in Spain.

John- I was on the team in Spain last summer. A good contact is the local club that sponsored the WSMC. https://www.cabarcelona.net/InformacioContact.aspx You can talk to Esther Roura- she speaks english.

The US Team actually bought their motors from two different suppliers who were NOT located in Spain. I have no idea how the motors made it to Spain, and that's a topic that you'll meet with resistance from anyone who does know :)

I had actually contacted a few hobby shops in Lleida, Spain prior to going over there. Both hobby shops carried motors, though I can't remember now if I was looking for the foreign Delta motors or Estes. Nonetheless, they appear easy to get in the local hobby market.

John,

Art's newer version of the 13mm Qubit is still free and not restricted to A10-Ps. He redesigned it because plugged motors are getting scarce in this neck of the woods.

Some of the other sizes might be easier to find in Europe.

I know that evern a 1/4 A will work because I've tried it. It doesn't go too high, but it works.

He calls it the Qubit 2

Pat Butler’s answer of contacting Esther Roura is the best. She was CD of the WSMC in Leida, Spain, last August. And that photo Pat attached was Esther’s ankle tattoo of a rocket.

As strange as it may seem, when rocket teams go over to WSMC’s, they do not plan on buying engines locally. Many drive, and take a lot of their engines in their cars or buses. Some of the engines are ordered from very specialized engine makers. The best being the Czech-made “Delta” engines. This last year, the US Team ordered Delta engines, and some Serbian engines, which were hand-delivered by the makers in Spain ( a LOT of teams use the Czech Delta engines, and those Serbian engines have grown in use as well in recent years).

There were of course also some US-made engines, such as Aerotech D3’s and E6’s for S8 (R/C Rocket Glide), and even some Estes C6’s (James Duffy flew his Little Joe-I on a cluster of 4 of them), which were shipped by commercial air cargo for ridiculous amounts of money (so ridiculous that the day after the WSMC, a few members went back out to the flying site and burned up all of the unused S8 R/C Rocket Glide engines by flying them in S8 models, as it was not worth shipping those engines back).

Anyway, here is one good source for mail-ordering engines in Europe, SierraFox Hobbies, based in Italy:

https://www.sierrafoxhobbies.com/catalog/

Also, below is a link for a page of European rocket dealers. Some of it is out of date, or flawed by a bad policy of ths website about reciprocal links. The SierraFox website listing had gone away because they had not included a reciprocal link back to this site:

https://www.europerocketry.com/eurocdealers.htm

Take note there may be some other good European rocket dealers not listed on that page. I do not know how up to date it is, so there may also be some out of date info there.

But again, they should contact Esther first to find out the most practical way to get engines in Spain.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Back