The Rocketry Show Episode #39: John Boren from Estes...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgould

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
So, what upcoming fantasy rocket from the past that John hinted about do you think is going to come out?

The hints were: All white and the nose cone cannot be lathed.

Last edited:
So, what upcoming fantasy rocket from the past that John hinted about do you think is going to come out?

The hints were: All white and the nose cone cannot be lathed.

Aries SST #1927? I could only hope...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482108429.818061.jpg
I don't think you could lathe this nosecone.

My guess is Starship Nova

The hint was "an absence of color," which would mean black. White is all visible wavelengths (all colors) in equal intensity.

An all-black rocket with a nose cone that could not be produced on a lathe may refer to the Alien Invader: https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/76est028.html

James

I guess you're right. I have to admit I was a bit confused as black and white is not considered to be a color.

Then I would say, as others have as well, that the Starship Nova is one candidate.

Fred, the Estes X-15 did not have a motor tube and suffered from non-eject due to gas leaking out the back. I modified one with Kevlar line, a motor tube, and a 9 inch nylon chute. Flew fine on a C6-3.

Sandman (Gordon Angelo) makes a two piece Starship Nova nose cone from wood. I have one of his upscale kits.

Chas

Listened to the podcast this morning. My main takeaway was to stock up on PSII kits and accessories. It sounds like that party's over.

Not sure what John was alluding to, but I'd love to see an X-15 too.

Back