The Rise and Rise of a mid power scale sounding rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles_McG

Ciderwright
Reaction score
Meet my 1/5 scale Ute Tomahawk. I’ve written about it elsewhere. It has a 38mm mount in the booster and 29mm in the sustainer. It has an Eggtimer Proton in the Tomahawk avbay and an Eggfinder Mini in the nosecone.

IMG_1089.jpg

It’s had two flights, and I’d like to share my data.

First - she flies easy and straight and I can’t believe that I seem to be the first to talk about this design in 40 years. The Bid Daddy derived booster would fit a 2 grain - but the 1 grain motors make a nice staging altitude.

I’m keeping the flight numbers on the Proton.

Flight 5 was a CTI G78bs to E22ss.
The blue lines are from the Proton, the red lines from OpenRocket (timing adjusted to match the flight) Events picked out for LDA and Channel 2 (separation) and Channel 1 (airstart). First 4 seconds plotted.
Altitude and acceleration.
2019-06-10 (3).jpg
Altitude and velocity.
2019-06-10 (4).jpg

Flight 6 was a CTI G115wt to Aerotech F10. Because I -really- wanted to see a long burn sustainer. 8 seconds is awesome- and probably 4 seconds too far into the gravity turn.
Alt and acc
2019-06-10 (1).jpg
Alt and velocity.
2019-06-10 (2).jpg

Now, my first thought was that the accelerometer based altitude (Altaccel) was really low. Since it ignores angle, it should read higher than the baro, and it doesn’t. It must be reading a little low, because it reaches apogee several seconds before the baro does. But I’m more concerned with using it as another form of ‘tilt’ detection.

Actually, my first thought was ‘look at those awesome thrust curves and nice velocity data.

Then I merged in the OR data and saw that it actually matched the accelerometer Gs and velocity pretty well. It’s the baro that looks high, at least until a few seconds after burns are done.

Here’s both flights together.
2019-06-10 (5).jpg

I suspect that I don’t have good isolation from the base of the rocket to the avbay. Though that doesn’t explain the high baro before separation.

That high baro that slowly returns to the main curve throws a twist into the first derivative (velocity) too.

It will help me set the safety limits in the future, though I still don’t understand what’s going on well enough to try the baro-accelerometer deviation limit. That 100-200’ difference at separation and airstart still has me scratching my head.

First - she flies easy and straight and I can’t believe that I seem to be the first to talk about this design in 40 years. The Bid Daddy derived booster would fit a 2 grain

Coincidentally, Aerotech makes the H669 Warp 9 motor that would be perfect for this!

It was a really nice flight, even with the F10 inspired "turn to the north" it did at the end.

Might I suggest the G54 RMB CTI motor for the upper stage next time? Only 2.97 second burn, but might be a little more stable for ya.

Coincidentally, Aerotech makes the H669 Warp 9 motor that would be perfect for this!

It was a really nice flight, even with the F10 inspired "turn to the north" it did at the end.

Might I suggest the G54 RMB CTI motor for the upper stage next time? Only 2.97 second burn, but might be a little more stable for ya.

I’ve been eyeing the H53m.

Very nice, how did you airstart the F10? Did it take any extra measures?

Do you have access to the unfiltered altitude? Maybe that will help sort out what happened at events 2 and 1.

Very nice, how did you airstart the F10? Did it take any extra measures?

Do you have access to the unfiltered altitude? Maybe that will help sort out what happened at events 2 and 1.

I used a First Fire Mini and a little of the powder from cutting the Pro38 1 grain pellet in half. Taped in place. I had ground tested the FFM to make sure the Proton on a 2S lipo could light it.

I have the unfiltered- but the filtered is actually easier to see. The dip at separation is understandable- I think I’m ducting the pressure in the interstage up the wiring chases. Same with the peak when the sustainer lights - the altimeter gets a whiff of the low pressure area above the nozzle.

This is puzzling. I'm trying to figure out whether or not the alignment between simulation and AltAccel makes sense or not. I have no explanation for the higher than expected FAlt values. Unless your sim is off (e.g. you summed for a rough finish and actually have a pretty smooth finish) and is just coincidentally matching the AltAccel data, I think your data indicate that the accelerometer may be a viable method for measuring tilt. (It would be interesting to launch at a 15 deg angle to see how well it actually sensed the off vertical acceleration.)

I think if you flew lower flights, or single stage flights a time or two to see how your rocket behaved, you could confidently use the Falt:AltAccel ratio lockout

As for the higher than expected baro, especially near MaxV, I have a thought. I used a nifty little piece from the pressure relief valve of a recyclable keg as combined avbay pins and vents.

IMG_0906.jpg

So maybe the rounded shape is artificially lowering the pressure - and thus raising the altitude?

Hmmm, it's kind of curved like the top of a wing, and the pressure is certainly lower there... I wonder if that is in play here too?

Charles: Have you simmed an Aerotech G8 in the sustainer? 17.7 second burn if it'll work...

Charles: Have you simmed an Aerotech G8 in the sustainer? 17.7 second burn if it'll work...

I have - it's why I tried an F10. The long burn sounds cool - but I don't think I'll try anything slower burning than a Mellow in the future.

Unless I had active control - canards or vectored thrust. That long burn lets the sustainer slow down to where thrust matches drag+gravity - and holds it.

I finally got in touch with Cris@Eggtimer. He enlightened me - and now I understand the timing I was seeing during these flights.

The Proton timers start run from -triggering-event-, not Start of Flight as in the Quantum. That can make them more accurate, since the Quantum is estimating Start of Flight, working backwards from Launch Detection Altitude to baseline baro reading.

The Proton can use LDA, ALD (Accelerometer Launch Detect), or Motor Burnout 1-6 (as of v1.02N) as triggering events. That explains why events were showing up in my data at SoF+ADL(time = ~0.4sec)+Timer Delay. The Proton is supposed to work like that, I simply missed that it's different from how the Quantum does timing.

Back