The Phoenix project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stones

Reaction score
My 1st MPR scratchbuilt, the Phoenix. I've always been a fan of the Phoenix with it's massive fin area and markings. I wanted to build as big as I could go for the G motors I have and stay somewhere around 800'(G35) to 1000'(G64 - G80). Should make for a slow(er) majestic launch with all aspects of the flight visible. Makes for a little easier recovery for our smaller local field. ;)
Pics at the link below and also in the signature. I'll post here as I update the site.

The Phoenix project

Great looking rocket....... I too, love the Phoenix.............. Is that a LOC 3" body tube?

Lookin pretty good, Stones! Be sure to post pics when it's done, and launched!

I love the Phoenix too. For the same reasons as you. It's just a beautiful bird :D

Your model looks excellent too. Looking forward to the first launch report.

Regards,
Todd

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
Great looking rocket....... I too, love the Phoenix.............. Is that a LOC 3" body tube?

4" LOC

I redid the format slightly and added a few more pics.

My 4" Phoenix SCREAMS for H128's. Make sure you stock up... my favorite motor for that bird... of course the Phoenix also rocks with H123's and I161's :D

Yep...looked at that pic awhile back Sandman...
...if I was going for all out scaling, I'd go for building out the fillets with basswood, epoxy, etc. but, I just don't want to add the weight for the motors I'm trying to get this bird up with. Actually, I've got the length about 4" over for stability (kind of an upscale Estes). The LOC NC is not quite the right shape for the 54A but it's perty close to other Phoenix pics I've seen.

Stones
You'r phoenix looks great,Its one of my favourate rockets.I've been thinking about clustering an estes phoenix:)

I love this model - nice work!

how did you get such nice consistent bevels on your fin leading edges? something I need to work on for sure.

Also, your glue fillets look perfect - any tips on that aspect?

thanks,
Steve

stones ,
great idea using the laser level for your rail buttons

I bought a cheapy at harbour freight for $11 , thanks to your idea,now I have something usefull to use it for!

Originally posted by stevem
...how did you get such nice consistent bevels on your fin leading edges? something I need to work on for sure.

Also, your glue fillets look perfect - any tips on that aspect?

thanks,
Steve
I put a line of tape where I want the taper to end on the fin. I think in this case it was .375(3/8"). I fold sandpaper around a flat paint stir stick (what they usually give you when you buy a gallon of paint) and sand from the leading edge to the tape line.

Glue fillets are nothing more than the finger method. I use a squeeze bottle with a small tip and get the glue right in tight to the fin/bt joint. Then, using the same finger on each fin, I smooth the glue fillets.

Stymye...
Picked mine up for $4.88 at Menards. ;)

Firemanup...
I'll be happy to get this one built, let alone trying to "kit" it. ;)

She's all primed. Good thing my better half had to work and couldn't see the "paint room" I setup in the basement. Hopefully, the smell will be gone by the time she gets home. ;) see pic
Now it needs to sit and wait, as sandman would say, 'till ya can't smell the paint. ;)
I'm planning on a light gray airframe with a white NC. Lightest gray I can find around here is a "winter gray" which is a little darker then I would like but, I think the end result will be good.

The Phoenix Project

She's looking great Stones! I like your paint booth too. Very low budget ;) That's what I need :D What do you have for ventilation? I see the filter in the back. What is it connected to?

Regards,
Todd

She's gettin real close now. All painted up and just waitin for me to either build the decals (that's another project altogether) or give Tom at Tango Papa a call. ;)

Phoenix painted

Added a chrome band at the BT/NC joint. I'm experimenting with chrome foil from Bare Metal Foil Company. Gives it that real metal look because, it's real metal. ;)
Decals are left and I have mailed Tango Papa with a few questions and I'm waiting on Tom's response.

Originally posted by Stones
I'm experimenting with chrome foil

Stones...... I see that the foil comes in 6" X 11.75" sheets..... How did you cut it? razor knife? I wonder if it could be cut by the stripe cutter I remember see on the Forum a few months ago.....

The Phoenix is looking real good!!!!

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
Stones...... I see that the foil comes in 6" X 11.75" sheets..... How did you cut it? ...
RocketM...
A VERY sharp knife (exacto blade #11 is suggested) is a must as the foil is VERY thin. The sheet comes with detailed instructions that has all the particulars. This was my first time using it and it worked really well for my application. As far as the stripe cutter, hmmm, I don't think I'd try it but, haven't used one so I can't really say.

Wow...his mid-power scratch built looks better than a lot of folk's high power rockets...:eek: :cool:

*thumbs up*

We need more emoticons...

wow beautiful... im a pheonix fanatic myself and i think im gonna do a 3C cluster similar to the bigger bertha i made on one... ill also go to great lenths to retrieve a pheonix... ill try and find pics of that later...

great work though...

She's a done deal folks! It really came out well, I think. Lord knows I spent way too much time on it but, it's a labor of love, if you know what I mean. :rolleyes:
I went through a major learning process but, I came out of it learning how do do my own decals. I'd like to thank Tom from Tango Papa for all of his help in getting me going. The decals were drawn up in Paint Shop Pro and the font is a military style I found on the net. The hardest part was scaling each individual decal and then getting the whole works to fit on a single sheet of 8.5 x 11. I'm really quite proud on how they turned out. I went with a monocote type thin tape for the stripes, which is how I was able to do the decals on one sheet. Someone tell me again that future floor finish will not harm the decals and that will be the final touch. ;)

Attached is a pic with it on the pad next to an Estes Patriot for scale. Now I just have to get up enough nerve to send it skyward on a G80 or G64. With pics and video of course. :D

More pics at The Phoenix Project

Awesome......!!!!

Again let me know when ya put out a kit on that one.... heh heh

(subliminal hint) (subliminal hint) kit this rocket (subliminal hint) (subliminal hint) kit this rocket and sell to jason (subliminal hint) (subliminal hint)

That's one beautiful bird. EXCELLENT work !!

Even Carl and Sandman will be jealous of that one.

Tnx for the compliments gents. Heres a few more pics showing the decal detail.

Back