"The Peripheral" on Amazon Prime (***** S P O I L E R S *****)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed the season. However I think they could have been a bit more explicit in the last episode about exactly what was going on about the new stub and how all that worked. In the book it was pretty clear but for those that didn't read the book, I can sense there would be confusion.

I read the book long enough ago that much of what happened had faded from my memory, but since I read the sequel book (Agency) a couple years ago my memory was somewhat refreshed.

I enjoyed the season. However I think they could have been a bit more explicit in the last episode about exactly what was going on about the new stub and how all that worked. In the book it was pretty clear but for those that didn't read the book, I can sense there would be confusion.

I read the book long enough ago that much of what happened had faded from my memory, but since I read the sequel book (Agency) a couple years ago my memory was somewhat refreshed.
I have not read the books, and I did find that aspect of the last episode to be confusing. And the one thing that really doesn't hold up to scrutiny is how Flynne seemed to know exactly how it all works... but I can so easily look past that because the whole of the thing is so good. Or is it implied that Lowbeer explained to her all the details?

Also requiring some suspension of disbelief is how good of a fighter Flynne is in her peripheral. Yes, she was a very good *gamer*, but in those games it seems that control was done with normal hand-held controls, which is far different from actually controlling a body to do those things. To do that, presumably you'd need to have similar skills in real life, and there's no evidence that she does (vs. Burton and Conner, for example).

WARNING: SUPER GIANT SPOILERS AHEAD, IF YOU WANDERED IN HERE BY ACCIDENT GET OUT NOW

But to get back to the last episode... so Flynn created a new stub, and then had herself killed in the old one, so Cherise wouldn't nuke her whole town. And then by crushing the watch (?) she made it impossible for Cherise to track her in the new stub.

So that means that after she created the stub, she existed in each one simultaneously. How would she even know which stub she was in, to make sure she got killed in the correct one? Both stubs would have seemed identical. Likewise, Conner would be in both stubs. And then she comes right back into her peripheral from the new stub.... I guess I don't understand how she would have managed that whole thing. It makes my head hurt.

There sure is a huge mess to clean up from that episode (Tommy!). Season 2 should be fun.

Back