The Payload Bay.com

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gramparocket

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this so I Put it here
I use the payload bay tools for wraps and fin guides, Does any one else have problems with printing?
Mine never seem to print on the paper, they are always half off.
Does anyone know how to fix this?

Broadly speaking, maybe-kinda? - but I have run into a few issues over the years. If the piece is big, the paper size selected for the PDF may not be one I can print, and in that case forcing it to use 'actual' instead of 'fit to page' can make the guide appear in a weird place.

When that happens, I open up the PDF in Adobe Illustrator, select the vectors, and copy them into a new file with the correct size page. Especially for fin guides, I don't mind if the tips get cut off. and sometimes I can rotate them 45 degrees for a better fit.

Make sure your printer settings are set to print the PDFs "Actual Size "

Some things are too large to fit on the standard paper sizes, so the tools are generally only useful for smaller rockets.

I have experimented with versions of the tools that print on multiple pages if necessary, but wasn't too happy with the results. Even with registration marks to line them up, taping the pages together is difficult and error prone.

So, right now I don't have a good solution for handling larger rockets.

I have found that many "work" places are getting rid of large sized plotters - it is a sad time

I have found that many "work" places are getting rid of large sized plotters - it is a sad time

Well, yeah. My current workplace doesn't have a large format plotter (I actually use the fine folks at Kinko's when needed for quilt or rocket patterns). I think the large plotter only survived at the my old job because it was in a backwater that didn't have any other plausible use.

Thanx all. I don't have illustrator so I'll see if i can turn it or move it somehow. I'm putting rivets on a 4" payload bay/ebay the manufacture wants 6 rivets I usually do 3 so i have a wrap for that. I've noticed the novel rocket stuff works fine but when you get to 2.5-3" and up they just don't print right.

Over 20 years ago I used to work for the railways, doing the software, as a Systems Analyst, that runs the trains in Melbourne. The Signal Engineering Department had a big HP plotter that was used to print the track plans when works were being done. Plans were to scale (can't remember what scale), both plan view and elevation, Some of the plans were up to 30' long and had to be scrolled through. I would hope these days it would all be done with a GIS database.

Back