The Official TRF Cat Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dexter goes back to the vet to get stitches removed tonight. His ears seem to be a bit closer together than before.
Dexter.jpg

He had three sarcomas removed. That was his third operation for them. The bad news is that cytology came back and they are a very bad sarcoma, with few treatment options. I think we just need to let him be a cat as much as we can, without applying chemo. :(

thats a really tough call, i have had hard decisions to make in the past and the kitties weren't that old. for me it really wasnt about money, it was about quality of life, obviously if there is a long term option you just do it, but a kitty going through chemo is like a toddler going through chemo, theres no way to explain whats going on, they only know everything sucks. i dont envy you having to make that decision whenever it comes. my kitties are my buddies, i'd never want them to hurt.

Dexter goes back to the vet to get stitches removed tonight. His ears seem to be a bit closer together than before.
View attachment 560701

He had three sarcomas removed. That was his third operation for them. The bad news is that cytology came back and they are a very bad sarcoma, with few treatment options. I think we just need to let him be a cat as much as we can, without applying chemo. :(

Super sorry to hear that. Our cat, Friend, had injection site sarcoma between her shoulder blades and we found it about the size of a pea, but within a week, it was the size of a kidney bean. Took her to the vet and he said emergency surgery and it would be aggressive. Wife called me at work with the info and since we trust that vet more than most people trust their doctors, I said OK. They removed a ton of muscle and at first I thought they pretty much butchered her, but over 6-8 weeks, she got back to being able to walk, jump etc., just fine. She lived another 5-ish years, but did end up passing from the sarcoma eventually.

We never did chemo, as the vet didn't recommend it and I agree that it would be tough on the animal, regardless of cost. I think your thought to just take care of him being a cat is the best call. I hate that you have to make the call though. Its bleeping tough.

Thinking of you and Dexter.

Sandy.

The kittens like to go for rides around the house in their pet stroller. In the background on the box is a cat someone dropped over our fence years ago. All of our cats are rescues.View attachment 560721
I have to say, these kittens have you very well trained. I've seen cats in strollers out on the street, but never around the house. :D

(Tongue firmly in cheek, it's clear how much you love them)

I have to say, these kittens have you very well trained. I've seen cats in strollers out on the street, but never around the house. :D

(Tongue firmly in cheek, it's clear how much you love them)
That's right. The cats let us live here because we have thumbs. In our wills, If we die before the cats, the cats can stay in the house for as long as they live. We have made arrangements with a friend to take car of them. She will receive $10000 per year to take care of them. When the cats die, then the kids can do what they want with the house.

Our three rescues pictured a couple of years ago. Effie in the middle is 15. Morris at the bottom is 12. They were both rescued near Effie Morris Elementary near Fort Worth where my wife was a Speech Pathologist (I am a work in progress). Stormie at the top is 14 and was rescued from a storm drain at a Target the day before heavy rains hit. We lost the leader of the band, a calico named Cassandra (she had a lot to say) in 2012. I still remember her look when we brought Morris home - "What, another one!".
My wife had a dauschund when we met. Cat since.

Chas

Attachments

• Kit Kat Toes.jpg
    Kit Kat Toes.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 0
Stewie, like all feline super-villains, is vulnerable to "kitty traps".

He is a willing slave to the powers of the box...

View attachment 562252

That there is some quality double-wall construction!

I've often wondered if you took a refrigerator-size box or an enormous paper bag and left it out on the African savanna, would you come back to find big cats chilling in it?

That there is some quality double-wall construction!

I've often wondered if you took a refrigerator-size box or an enormous paper bag and left it out on the African savanna, would you come back to find big cats chilling in it?

My new HVLP sprayer came in that. Stewie says it belongs to him now.

Absolutely, I have actually seen Bobcats jump right in a kitty trap. I've seen video of other species... Not sure about African cats. :)

Back