The new Dr Who (UK SCI FI)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gillard

Reaction score
During the absence of TRF the BBC announced the name of the 11th doctor - Matt Smith. (i think that the US also get Dr Who sent over there)
I really can not see this doctor being anywhere as good as the last two.
check out my avatar- i could have been the doctor - apart from the lack of acting ability, looks, skill, etc

The last episode I got was very confusing. The one where the Dr. found Rose.

As well as the episode in the "library".

I guess I didn't understand the redhead (she played a Dr on our TV show ER).

I'm sure I missed something but wasn't it that the Dr was killed and came back as the same Dr or something...

perhaps i missed an entire episode???:confused::confused::confused:

I said I was confused!:rolleyes:

Yes it can be confusing. Rose and the red heads were assistants
when the Dr "dies" he does not die but regenerates - usually to a new doctor ie new actor. the last time he regenerated he came back as himself but some of his "powers" created a human doctor with no time lord ability, and some of his time lord ability was passed on to one of his assistants, but only for a short time.
You really need to watch an entire series to have any hope of following some of the plots.
I've watched all ten doctors, either on TV or DVDs. I think the tenth doctor was one of the best.

Last edited:
Yes it can be confusing. Rose and the red heads were assistants
when the Dr "dies" he does not die but regenerates - usually to a new doctor ie new actor. the last time he regenerated he came back as himself but some of his "powers" created a human doctor with no time lord ability, and some of his time lord ability was passed on to one of his assistants, but only for a short time.
You really need to watch an entire series to have any hope of following some of the plots.
I've watched all ten doctors, either on TV or DVDs. I think the tenth doctor was one of the best.

Heck, I HAD to watch all ten doctors - I was part of the design team for FASA's Doctor Who Role Playing Game! :p It was my job to stat the doctor and his companions for the game.

(Well, OK - at the time there weren't that many - we were only up to Colin Baker :rolleyes:)

I think we get the episodes delayed by a few months. They are shown on BBA-America and Sci-Fi.

Turn Left was the last episode I saw. We had 2 others after that that I missed (so far).

I'm sure someone will corret me if I'm wrong, but I think that Sci-Fi Channel shows them at least 6 months before BBA-America shows them. Which is good since that means I can catch those missed episodes in the next few weeks.

Now, what about Torchwood? That is only on BBC-America (2 seasons so far). No new season shown in the schedule. I will assume the UK websites are still blocked so that we cannot see anything here in North America....

Touchwood. a Dr Who spin off. Captain Jack who heads up the team was with the Dr for some time, and when Rose looked into the time vortex Captain jack was made immortal. Captain Jack has another name which is the face of Bo. when the face of Bo finally dies, he offers up his last serect - that the doctor is not alone, which was a realised in the last series when we meet the Master (another timelord) and a "clone" daughter of the Doctor.
touchwood was set up by Queen Elizabeth (the first) to protect against aliens- ironically the alien that touchwood was to protect against originally was the Doctor.

Perhaps I could have worded that more clearly. We have had the first 2 seasons of Torchwood on BBC-America, but I thought there was a 3rd season coming soon (or possibly already aired in the UK). Maybe I need to visit Wikipedia....OK, series 3 is supposed to air soon (at least in the UK....).

Anyway, they killed of most of the Torchwood crew in the last episode of season 2.

We do get the Graham Norton Show within a week of being new (on BBC-America0. That's good since the jokes are often about current events.

so who was your best Doctor.

I would have to say that my favorite Doctor was Peter Davison. Not sure why. I think Tennant is probably #2, followed by a tie between Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee.

WARNING: I DO NOT follow Dr. Who (but had a friend who did - who later married a Brit and moved to England, but I digress...)

Isn't there a limit to the number of times that the doctor can regenerate and hasn't he just about used them up?

I thought my friend mentioned that he only had a couple lives left and that seems like three or four lives ago...

The original premise was that a Time Lord had twelve regenerations, and then no more. We'll have to wait and see if they hold to that, or use the "Last of the Time Lords" as an excuse to bend the rules.

One of my friends got me into Doctor Who a couple years ago (at the end of Season 3), and it has since become one of my (if not the one) all-time favorite shows. Coming in during season 3, Tennant was my first doctor, and still my favorite. I watched through a bit of seasons 1 and 2, and thought Eccleston was pretty good, but I still like Tennant more. I think the new guy has too much hair, to start with. There's also a pseudo-doctor in the 2008 Christmas special, I thought he would have been good replacement, if it wouldn't have messed up the plotline. Oh well. We'll see in 2010...

The original premise was that a Time Lord had twelve regenerations, and then no more. We'll have to wait and see if they hold to that, or use the "Last of the Time Lords" as an excuse to bend the rules.

originally the dr was not a time lord and human.
then he was a time lord with seven lives
then it changed to twelve
but in one of the old series (5th doctor i think), it was suggested that the time lords could be given further regenerations. i think this was one of the things that was given to the Master as a bribe.
either way, i bet there will be alot more dr whos

Tom 'Daddy Who' Baker - without a doubt.

Then Tennant folowed closely by Wurzel Gumm.....sorry....Pertwee

everyone has their own opinion - but you are definately correct about the first two.

who was the worst?

everyone has their own opinion - but you are definately correct about the first two.

who was the worst?

Personally, I'd have to say Colin Baker - I just never really liked him that much - he seemed a bit surly and just didn't have the grace and humor of the previous doctors.

who was the worst?

On TV that must be awarded to Colin Baker, but he has more than redeemed himself in the Big Finish audios. Overall there really wasn't a bad doctor - if I had to say which one it would be Hartnell as hes the one I can least 'identify' with.

I think we get the episodes delayed by a few months. They are shown on BBA-America and Sci-Fi.

Turn Left was the last episode I saw. We had 2 others after that that I missed (so far).

I'm sure someone will corret me if I'm wrong, but I think that Sci-Fi Channel shows them at least 6 months before BBA-America shows them. Which is good since that means I can catch those missed episodes in the next few weeks.

Now, what about Torchwood? That is only on BBC-America (2 seasons so far). No new season shown in the schedule. I will assume the UK websites are still blocked so that we cannot see anything here in North America....

When they started out, SciFi was about a year and a half behind. However, each successive season was played a little sooner, until this past season SciFi channel played it mere weeks after the original broadcast on the beeb. Like not more than a month. There was a Christmas special on BBC this year, right? We haven't seen that yet. I've got a feeling that SciFi will wait for all the specials this year to be recorded before showing any of them here.

Torchwood was also on, I believe, Universal's HD channel. Or maybe HDNet? Whichever one also plays Smallville.

Matt Smith looks like he has potential as the Doctor, and I've preferred Steven Moffat's stories over Davies' lately. So, I think the new Doctor will turn out alright.

On TV that must be awarded to Colin Baker, but he has more than redeemed himself in the Big Finish audios. Overall there really wasn't a bad doctor - if I had to say which one it would be Hartnell as hes the one I can least 'identify' with.

I can truly say I've never seen a complete Colin Baker episode, much less series.

I went to some little Whovian gathering in a park in Decatur, GA back in 1983 or 84, and someone had a really bad NTSC copy of a PAL video recorded off the bbc, playing it on a battery powered TV. This was our first look at Colin Baker. The tape had scanning and color sync problems, so I went over and flirted with some of the skinny girls who were dressed as Leela (for some reason, the chubby girls were all trying to look like Sarah Jane or Nyssa)

originally the dr was not a time lord and human.
then he was a time lord with seven lives
then it changed to twelve
but in one of the old series (5th doctor i think), it was suggested that the time lords could be given further regenerations. i think this was one of the things that was given to the Master as a bribe.
either way, i bet there will be alot more dr whos

In the recent series, especially the existential ones where Tennant's Doctor would whine to Rose or Donna, he would talk about not being able to die. Of course, the immediate contradiction is the destruction of Gallifrey and the idea that he thought he was the "Last Time Lord." So somehow the timelords on Gallifrey suddenly couldn't regenerate? or is there some rule about the complete destruction of the body? Or maybe his infinity is something that was a privilege bestowed upon the Doctor when he became President of Gallifrey or whatever way back in 1980. They allowed Tennant to regenerate his arm, and somehow keep the severed one going! Then there's the thing about the the Tardis' time matrix entering Capt'n Jack and keeping him going for 5 billion years (except he can't regenerate, so he ends up looking like the Face Of Boe). Wonderfully silly stuff.

So, whatever the reason, the Doctor'll keep regenerating until everybody's sick of him.

In the recent series, especially the existential ones where Tennant's Doctor would whine to Rose or Donna, he would talk about not being able to die. Of course, the immediate contradiction is the destruction of Gallifrey and the idea that he thought he was the "Last Time Lord." So somehow the timelords on Gallifrey suddenly couldn't regenerate? or is there some rule about the complete destruction of the body? Or maybe his infinity is something that was a privilege bestowed upon the Doctor when he became President of Gallifrey or whatever way back in 1980. They allowed Tennant to regenerate his arm, and somehow keep the severed one going! Then there's the thing about the the Tardis' time matrix entering Capt'n Jack and keeping him going for 5 billion years (except he can't regenerate, so he ends up looking like the Face Of Boe). Wonderfully silly stuff.

So, whatever the reason, the Doctor'll keep regenerating until everybody's sick of him.

One could come up with all sorts of "explanations" for all this (and I have for the various games I've written. For example, there is always the possibility that The Doctor is something special - something of a mutant who will be able to regenerate in ways that other time lords couldn't.

As for Cap'n Jack (I love that character), it is possible that some event in the future will change him into the Face Of Boe. Especially since whenever he dies, he just wakes up again with the damage healed. Who knows if they will tell the tale of that.

And remember that we only have The Doctor's word for the fact that he is the "last time lord". He did not know about The Master, after all. Who is to say that there might also be another time lord or two running around out there (I'm holding out hope that he'll run into Romana at some point!) And I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see The Master pop up again - with some pseudo-scientific explanation of how he managed to survive.

Always remember that, in the universe of Doctor Who, NOTHING is ever set in stone. :D

Roy wrote:

>>>>
There was a Christmas special on BBC this year, right? We haven't seen that yet. I've got a feeling that SciFi will wait for all the specials this year to be recorded before showing any of them here.
<<<<

If one was into downloading bit torrents, one might do a search for “Dr Who Christmas” (last month’s special that ran in the UK), and find the torrent to download a VERY ENJOYABLE episode (“the New Doctor”, which despite the name did have Tennant in it, and NOT the newly named actor), without waiting for when Sci-Fi got around to showing it.

If one was into that kind of thing.....

- George Gassaway

You are all wrong. I can't believe how smart I am on the subject of Dr. Who--and all of you are wrong. This is embarassing--I am so right. William Hartnell was teriffic as the original Dr. Patrick Troughton was excellent. Then came Jon Pertwee--he was fantastic--loved his car. Then Tom Baker--a little looney--but a fantastic Dr. Then things went downhill. Peter Davidson could not even cut it as a vet in pre-WWII England. How could you expect him to be a Dr.? Then Colin Baker. He was a horrible Dr. His assistant was good looking--but needed a little Jenny Craig. I stopped watching then. I think Sylvester McCoy was the idiot in a suit that had question marks all over it. In recent years they started showing David Tennant on cable that I had access to. What an idiot--a skinny twirp.
And now Daleks fly! I'm sorry, but Daleks do not fly. And Rose--a little Jenny Craig would not hurt her either. And what is the deal with every episode taking place in London? Do the writers not know that the Dr. has a Tardis? If I had a Tardis, I would not spend all of my time in London. Have you ever seen the girls of Finland? I would guess that of all the episodes that Tom Baker made--less than 3 or 4 took place in London--if that many. With all of the billions and billions of planets out there, I would think that Tennant could find some excuse to leave London. I have completely given up on Dr. Who. It has gone so far down the tubes--it will never get up. Oh yeah--the limit for re-generation is 12--that cannot be changed--sorry.

Recent saw on SyFy a more recent Dr. Who involving a Sontaran invasion of Earth. They had seized the TARDIS and they seemed to have an operative in the London command centre, IIRC. Never saw how things worked out.

Tired of London?

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpe1Ywz8azM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edlrtit6GFI&feature=related

You are all wrong. I can't believe how smart I am on the subject of Dr. Who--and all of you are wrong. This is embarassing--I am so right. William Hartnell was teriffic as the original Dr. Patrick Troughton was excellent. Then came Jon Pertwee--he was fantastic--loved his car. Then Tom Baker--a little looney--but a fantastic Dr. Then things went downhill. Peter Davidson could not even cut it as a vet in pre-WWII England. How could you expect him to be a Dr.? Then Colin Baker. He was a horrible Dr. His assistant was good looking--but needed a little Jenny Craig. I stopped watching then. I think Sylvester McCoy was the idiot in a suit that had question marks all over it. In recent years they started showing David Tennant on cable that I had access to. What an idiot--a skinny twirp.
And now Daleks fly! I'm sorry, but Daleks do not fly. And Rose--a little Jenny Craig would not hurt her either. And what is the deal with every episode taking place in London? Do the writers not know that the Dr. has a Tardis? If I had a Tardis, I would not spend all of my time in London. Have you ever seen the girls of Finland? I would guess that of all the episodes that Tom Baker made--less than 3 or 4 took place in London--if that many. With all of the billions and billions of planets out there, I would think that Tennant could find some excuse to leave London. I have completely given up on Dr. Who. It has gone so far down the tubes--it will never get up. Oh yeah--the limit for re-generation is 12--that cannot be changed--sorry.

Back