The new Dr. Who is a ...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
...woman. New trailer out, "Meet the Thirteenth Doctor - Doctor Who"

[video=youtube;_-_bSdWEYK8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-_bSdWEYK8[/video]

The last season they had a gay character (Bill). I hope this is not some misguided SJW bullstuff. I think the good Doctor should be a man, just like Wonder Woman should always be female. Yeah, I know, bad comparison because the sex is not actually implied in his name... I'll give it a watch. In any case, if they stay true to Whovian lore, this should be the last Doctor.
[h=1][/h]

They've already gotten away from Whovian lore by giving the Doctor more than 12 regenerations, so this isn't much of a stretch. There was also the episode near the end of the 9th season where the Castelan (I think?) of Galifrey got shot by the Doctor and turned into a woman. They already changed the Master from male to female, and Michelle Gomez was great as the new Master. I think it more depends on how the actor playing the character is perceived, rather than the sex of the actor playing the character. We shall see.

We are still watching the most recent season. It was off for so long we didn't realize it had started up again and just managed to record the entire season a few weeks ago during a marathon.

The top notch writing is what makes this show so good; I think the actors on the show are interchangeable (duh!). Since the reboot I have disliked every new doctor - at first. I have learned to appreciate them in their own way; even Matt Smith, although he was tough for me. I especially initially hated Donna (companion), but learned to really appreciate her as they really did a good job writing her character and she even had family members that got drawn into stories. I missed her when she left the show.

And speaking of great writing; one of the scariest episodes was "Blink". The Cincinnati Art Museum has two life size angel statues at the entrance to one of their galleries. Years after watching that episode I still find it creepy to walk past those statues! Now that's good writin'.

And speaking of great writing; one of the scariest episodes was "Blink". The Cincinnati Art Museum has two life size angel statues at the entrance to one of their galleries. Years after watching that episode I still find it creepy to walk past those statues! Now that's good writin'.

OMG. Weeping Angels are perhaps the scariest sci fi things I've encountered. Of course even that can be taken too far:
weep.jpg

Blink was a great episode. Very little Doctor in it, but very good story and writing. I think my boy left his bedroom light on for a week...

. I think it more depends on how the actor playing the character is perceived, rather than the sex of the actor playing the character. We shall see.

Much Spoilerly stuff ahead, so anyone who's not up to speed but plan to watch reruns to catch up, should avoid this.

It's the writing mostly. And the chemistry between the character,s which is a mix of the writing AND the actors themselves. The 11th doctor, Amy, Rory, and River Song, hell of a chemistry between all of them. And the OMG "I'm Melody, I'm your daughter" moment. Also even for the 9th Doctor, the ending of the "are you my mummy?" 2-part episode (whatever the name), with the "Everybody lives" moment (and introduction of Captain Jack , spinning off into Torchwood). The Doctor and Rose Tyler. And so many others.

I never cared much for Capaldi. At least he had "Impossible Girl" as his companion most way thru, though she was introduced with the 11th. And this last season was pretty bad for the most part - worst ever for the "New Who" episodes since the restart of the series. I never would believe I would be happy for the actor playing the doctor to retire, but I was for this one.

So, to me the show slowly became a train wreck with Capaldi. But more accurately the writing going downhill as the showrunner Steven Moffat became more distracted by other shows he was doing. to the point that incredibly stupidly, there was only *ONE* episode in 2016, the Christmas episode. Moffat didn't bother to plant much if any "Easter Eggs" for the 12th Doctor (Capaldi), that "vault" thing this season was the only one that comes to mind and it played out very poorly.

Unlike way far back when he was a writer, not showrunner yet, and planted River Song's arc by introducing her in "Silence in the Library", where she apparently knew the doctor VERY well (wife?) but was from his future so he (10th Doctor) did not know who she was and only believed she knew him closely from the future when she said something in his ear (apparently his real name). And then she died......mostly, to be seen many times later, in her "past" (doctor's future).

Indeed the one Capaldi episode I do like the most is "The Husbands of River Song", where she had no idea who the doctor was until during a rant about how much the doctor didn't love her because he was always traveling around doing more important things and would not be aboard that ship (station?), he revealed to her who he was, by saying "Hello Sweetie". But not much chemistry there.

I realized another major character was mostly missing in recent seasons..... the music. Must have changed whoever was in charge of music production for the show, as it was not up to the level of the seasons of the 9th,10, and 11th doctors.

So, I am looking forward to the 13th doctor, and think the choice of a female might shake things up in a very good way. All depends on the writing of course, but it's a hopeful sign in the video above that she has a smile. Something the 12th didn't do very often and even when he did do so it often looked "forced". And i hope they fix the issue with the music not being up to par for the Capaldi seasons.

SIGH:

[video=youtube;1e8tOF3PeH0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e8tOF3PeH0[/video]

Oh, I'm not much into "reaction" videos (kids finding out about Luke's Father in Empire, not withstanding), but this one is really great.

[video=youtube;asA7ZqaXvdc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asA7ZqaXvdc[/video]

Last edited:
Blink was a great episode. Very little Doctor in it, but very good story and writing. I think my boy left his bedroom light on for a week...

Not a Dr. Who fan, and don't care if it's a man or a woman or whatever, but I did see that episode and it was truly frightening. And I don't get scared by much....

I'm catching up with modern Dr. Who. I am use to the Dr. Who that had the frizzy hair and long scarf. About late 1970's or very early 1980's is when I use to watch Dr. Who a lot.

I'm not sure what I think of a female Dr. Who. If the quirkiness can be captured, it may work. And will she find a male traveling companion?

I'm catching up with modern Dr. Who. I am use to the Dr. Who that had the frizzy hair and long scarf. About late 1970's or very early 1980's is when I use to watch Dr. Who a lot.

I'm not sure what I think of a female Dr. Who. If the quirkiness can be captured, it may work. And will she find a male traveling companion?

That was Tom Baker. At the risk of offending lifelong Who faithful, I couldn't stand him as The Doctor. He was just too goofy/silly...which is saying something because I typically *love* goofy and silly characters. I think it was his facial expressions that turned me off more than anything *shrug*. I think the only one I loathed more was Sylvester McCoy.

Peter Davidson was my personal fave of all the "old" Doctors. David Tennant is my favorite of the "new" (post-2005) Doctors...and also my overall fave.

Capaldi...eh...I like him more now than I did in the beginning. But that's still not saying a lot. He hasn't been a bad Doctor, but he's not been a very good one either.

These are, of course, only my personal opinions. Your mileage may vary.

Capaldi was a punk:

https://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophe...nk-band-with-peter-capaldi-and-craig-ferguson

That was Tom Baker. At the risk of offending lifelong Who faithful, I couldn't stand him as The Doctor. He was just too goofy/silly...which is saying something because I typically *love* goofy and silly characters. I think it was his facial expressions that turned me off more than anything *shrug*. I think the only one I loathed more was Sylvester McCoy.

Peter Davidson was my personal fave of all the "old" Doctors. David Tennant is my favorite of the "new" (post-2005) Doctors...and also my overall fave.

Capaldi...eh...I like him more now than I did in the beginning. But that's still not saying a lot. He hasn't been a bad Doctor, but he's not been a very good one either.

These are, of course, only my personal opinions. Your mileage may vary.

The feminist side of the internet was beside itself with joy over a female Doctor Who. Well, at least until I pointed out she was getting paid less than Peter Capaldi had been. Got real ugly after that.

...woman. New trailer out, "Meet the Thirteenth Doctor - Doctor Who"

The last season they had a gay character (Bill). I hope this is not some misguided SJW bullstuff. I think the good Doctor should be a man, just like Wonder Woman should always be female. Yeah, I know, bad comparison because the sex is not actually implied in his name... I'll give it a watch. In any case, if they stay true to Whovian lore, this should be the last Doctor.
[h=1][/h]

Here, this will help:

[video=youtube;PMSIe6WfXYE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMSIe6WfXYE[/video]

Bond, Jane Bond

I think that would be kinda cool, actually.

There's too much capital at stake with the Bond franchise for that to happen, methinks. It's not too early to start thinking about the next Bond, though. Of the current crop of Brit actors the choice that intrigues me the most is Idris Elba. And, if you saw the excellent "The Night Manager" series with Tom Hiddleston, he proved that he would be a pretty compelling choice also.

James

The feminist side of the internet was beside itself with joy over a female Doctor Who. Well, at least until I pointed out she was getting paid less than Peter Capaldi had been. Got real ugly after that.

Why? As long as she's getting the standard 2/3 rate...

FWIW - My favorite from the revived era is a tie of David Tennant and Matt Smith. And I was fine with Christopher Eccleston.

I've only been to two comic-con or sci-fi conventions. One was around 1977 or so, not so good, not very big. Although it is where I first saw the cult classic "Dark Star".

Went to another one 3 years ago. Much bigger much better, much more costly to get in. Saw some panels.

One by some guy who was a starship captain on TV in the 1960's (and a few more times later), played a Hooker in the 1980's and then got Legal in Boston the early 2000's.

There was also this lady.... (hair still short after cutting it off for filming some Galaxy movie)

ef5vFu4.jpg

And this guy (on right).

hZabyEl.jpg

REALLY enjoyed it!

And also, a picture of this guy..... :)

9q2rHMv.jpg

Last edited:

My (then 12-year old) daughter watched that episode with me; we weren't allowed to watch Dr. Who after that. It's still my all time favorite episode.

In a few episodes with Tom Baker, there were a couple of female Time Lords, IIRC. So, a female "Dr. Who" is not out of the question.

Back