"The Neutral Zone" Build [launch pics and vid]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonimus

Reaction score
EDIT: Launch pics and video start at post #79, https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?126105&p=1508944#post1508944 This has been changed from a sneak peek to a build thread. We got working on it sooner than anticipated. Currently, it has been renamed "The Neutral Zone".

Here's a sneak peek at an upcoming project a buddy and I are working on:

The nosecone next to a 5.5" from another rocket.

Some centering rings UpscaleCNC did.

Last edited:
A package showed up from UpscaleCNC...

Here it is next to my 75 pound dog for scale:

Because he's an a--. Had a growth removed, then pulled the stitches.

Nosecone and fins next to a 7 foot tall job we refurbished.

Holes drilled in the fore end of the fin tang and brass threaded inserts ran in to secure the front centering ring.

Fore centering ring partially screwed down, aft looks the same.

Thrust plate bolted to fins over the aft centering ring.

Fore centering ring bolted in all the way.

Fin can waiting for a shipment of tubes from Apogee.

Motor tubes arrived today! Six 29mm and one 75mm tube, with all the glassine removed.

Thanks, guys. Getting the retainers to fit sucked. The Estes retainers are nice, but I had to take a lot of material off to get them to clear with the Aeropack. I'm glad I didn't make the 29mm tubes any closer.

Uh, I guess the server move ate a few posts. Here's a redo:

Estes retainers for use with a thrust plate:

Motor tubes glued up and thrust plate on:

75mm to 4-29mm cluster mocked up:

Last edited:
Got the nosecone hammered on to a 12" section of body tube. Using a coupler in the body tube as the new shoulder of the rocket since the nose is so tight. Got one fin slot cut and took the opportunity to test fit the motor assembly and one of the fins.

Got to body tube cut for the fins!

Lower airframe:

Short configuration:

Full size, with me and I'm 6'5":

Last edited:
Just a level 2. It should go over a mile high on a full house L.

Tony,

Will this be your L2 cert bird? And will it be ready for the September Hope Site weekend launch?

Guy

Guy,

No, it isn't my L2 bird. I just ordered a Wildman Interceptor that will be for the cert. The rocket may be done before the September launch, but it is set up for 1515 rail, and the pad we're building won't be ready in time. We'll bring the rocket out to show off anyway.

Tony,

If you can get it ready, Ken will bring his 1515 rail launch pad out. He has two 10' segments, so if you need 20' of rail we can provide it.

Guy

Guy,

I'll let you know when we are closer. Keep an eye out here for progress.

MORE PICS! Got a bunch of truss head screws today. Secured the nosecone and its shoulder extension. Bolted in the fin and motor tube assembly as well. We cut the tip of the cone off and we're having a new tip machined from aluminum.

The fin design was the reason I went with a conical cone instead of an ogive or such.

I agree with the rest, that really works for me. The fins are amazing.

I have resisted posting until now, but you are posting some nice build techniques, while using Blue Tube2.0, and have a cool design, that I thought I would chime in. The fins did not work for in the beginning, but I have warmed up to them... especially, like you say, the conical nosecone really sets them off... I like it now. Looking forward to the end game.

Back