The NCR Cluster Duck is shipping!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManofSteele

Reaction score
Featured in the recent issue of Sport Rocketry, the North Coast Rocketry Cluster Duck uses a cluster of six 18mm engines around a 24mm core to provide plenty of fire and smoke in flight.
This is an evolution of the old NCR Mini Katana and Phoenix Rocketry Mighty Kat. I went through about six different iterations on the motor mount before I got happy with the design. The problem with the Might Kat was that the fins were not through the wall. I had two prototypes with 6 and 7 fin TTW tubes, but it still broke fins off. This is what I ended up with - the fins are even "self aligning" with the slots in the rings, making assembly easier.
Using the Quest Q2G2 igniters (not included), you can reliably ignite all seven motors for spectacular flights. A great combo is to cluster 6 B6-0s around a D12-7, though the best flight to date was a mix of Estes C6-0s and Quest C6-0s around a D12-7!

The kit feature laser cut fins, colorful decals, a core engine hook, plastic nose cone, and the heavy duty GorillaTM shock cord system. This kit does not include a 24” nylon parachute that you will have to supply from your stash.

Suggested Engines:
Core: D12-7, E9-8, E12-8
Outboard: A8-0, B6-0, C6-0
Length: 41.5"
Diameter: 2.65"
Weight: 13.5 oz.
List Price: $59.99

Available from Apogee or on eBay!

Matt

Cluster Duck Ignition.jpgsmall-20131123-003.jpgsmall-20131123-013.jpgsmall-20131123-008.jpg

They butt up against the lower centering ring and vent through the hole prepunch in them. The fins have a tab on the front that go into the slots on the lower centering ring to align them. Once all six fins are glued on, the booster tubes are glued between the fins.
I am currently building the kit.

Chas

Back