The most beautiful jet fighter ever made

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...35as-not-worth-including-in-high-end-wargames
f-35a-top.jpg

message-editor%2F1618257814812-f-35-inline.jpg

message-editor%2F1618257877213-f-35-f-16.jpg

message-editor%2F1618258148188-f-35-f-16-e-walk.jpg

not a fan of the F-35.. not sleek & looks too fat.. Kinda like power weight lifters of the 70's..
Neither is most of the greater Burlington area. There's been a huge amount of noise complaints since they moved to BTV. To be fair, our machine shop is right at the end of the runway and when they're taking off it's almost unbearable, so I see where they're coming from, but it's not sustained and maybe adds up to about a half hour or so of noise.

Not to sound insensitive, but some of these reactions are a little over the top.

Concur. I really like that bird. Should not have been retired.
I had the pleasure of working 2 tours Tomcats and 2 tours Tomcat radar repair.

To be certain, we had more money than God, and our maintenance practices drove the cost/flight hour through the roof. To be fair, somewhere along the way they changed the grading criteria for 'success' on us with no warning.

Boeing Bird of Prey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Bird_of_Prey
The Boeing Bird of Prey was a black project aircraft, intended to demonstrate stealth technology. It was developed by McDonnell Douglas and Boeing in the 1990s. The company provided $67 million of funding for the project; it was a low-cost program compared to many other programs of similar scale. It developed technology and materials which would later be used on Boeing's X-45 unmanned combat air vehicle. As an internal project, this aircraft was not given an X-plane designation. There are no public plans to make this a production aircraft. It is characterized as a technology demonstrator.

I live about 10 minutes from the museum. It IS a neat looking A/C

Neither is most of the greater Burlington area. There's been a huge amount of noise complaints since they moved to BTV. To be fair, our machine shop is right at the end of the runway and when they're taking off it's almost unbearable, so I see where they're coming from.....
Not to sound insensitive, but some of these reactions are a little over the top.
I lived and worked in Boise when the Idaho Air Guard still flew the F4s. ( to this day I would still do just about anything for a ride in one)
Our hanger was right at the end of the runway. When the mornings they flew they usually flew in groups of 4. To see, hear and feel that.
The Boise airport used to be way out away from everything. Developers built homes at the ends of the runways. Homeowners started complaining about the noise. Imagine? You purchased a home at the end of a military base runway, and you don’t want noise!

I lived and worked in Boise when the Idaho Air Guard still flew the F4s. ( to this day I would still do just about anything for a ride in one)
Our hanger was right at the end of the runway. When the mornings they flew they usually flew in groups of 4. To see, hear and feel that.
The Boise airport used to be way out away from everything. Developers built homes at the ends of the runways. Homeowners started complaining about the noise. Imagine? You purchased a home at the end of a military base runway, and you don’t want noise!
Yeah, I don't miss living in the dorms on Whiteman. 😅

Even though the F-35s get a little annoying with the noise, it's pretty neat to have them here. I agree, I don't understand why you'd rent or buy a home next to an airport/base if noise is a concern.

Yeah, I don't miss living in the dorms on Whiteman. 😅

I don't understand why you'd rent or buy a home next to an airport/base if noise is a concern.

because people, generally, are stupid.. and don't think that far ahead. or are impressed by the pool, and the paint job..

When we bought our house, I had a map of the area, with big 'V's at the end of the runways for Montreal's airport. Anything in that V was a no-no. (We are in between 2, so we see them, but it's not noisy.) And one potential house, we parked for an hour on the street to see how heavy the traffic is.. I knew it was busy, but didn't realize 'how' busy.. (We quickly said no..)

When we were in Base Housing At RAF Lakenheath we were close to the end of the runway. Man those F111 were loud. After a while though we hardly noticed them. When we got to Vegas we lived across the street from the base. The pattern went right over us. Our second house was under the flight path going out to the ranges. Now that we are in Pahrump we only hear them when their going to or coming from Edwards or China Lake.

It's not sleek, but I just love the proportions and "bulk" of the Marine Harriers. To me it really fit with that branch.

Pic of actual jet:
Rbf83c80f00b964c9682a9c24914b3d66

Decades ago I built a 1/48 Monogram model of it and was really proud of the result...one of the few jet models that was in my display case and nice that it was compact in that scale!

I live about 10 minutes from the museum. It IS a neat looking A/C
Lucky you! Last time I was there I was when I was TDY to Wright-Patterson AFB for training. A fantastic museum that was even better IMO than the Air & Space museum in DC.

A-6E aircraft are simply put ‘da bomb’ ;)

A-6 aircrew are the smartest aircrew ever. Remember back to early flight training when the mantra was, “get in the pointy end of the aircraft.” A-6 aircrew are smarter than that.

View attachment 393132

Note the business end is the blunt end!

Retired A-6 driver
Round is beautiful. I'm going to have to second Ret. A-6 Driver's vote.

F-86A! It is the jet fighter equivalent of an 3FNC. Simple, Sleek & Sexy!

Im sorry but youre all wrong. The sexiest most beautiful jet fighter ever is the F22 Raptor Followed by the F15 with a close 3rd being the F16. Now if were talking the most beautiful fighter plane ever. Hands down the P51D Mustang!!!!!!!!

Back