The most beautiful jet fighter ever made

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Navy Reserve Aggressor aircraft. As always, click to view full size:

Navy-Reserve-Fighters-Over-Key-West.jpg

I did the Davis-Monthan tour. It was a tour I would take again but it would be nice to wander.
I did the same while stationed there. More than once I travelled the perimeter road on my 10-speed and eyeballed inward in the beautiful, late afternoon winter weather. Sunsets in AZ can be awesome and were a nice backdrop to the planes. I wasn't into photography then and, actually, even after I was I finally learned to consciously avoid taking photos because everything became about the right framing, angles, and lighting and not about just experiencing the moments.

Navy Reserve Aggressor aircraft. As always, click to view full size:

Navy-Reserve-Fighters-Over-Key-West.jpg
Not sure if those are F5s or F20s. In either case, one of the cleanest, simplest lines of any jet fighter. I saw a documentary with a segment on the F5, the Top Gun and I believe Air Force equivalent programs were flying them against F14s and F15s respectively, and often beating the newer and much more expensive jets.

Not sure if those are F5s or F20s. In either case, one of the cleanest, simplest lines of any jet fighter. I saw a documentary with a segment on the F5, the Top Gun and I believe Air Force equivalent programs were flying them against F14s and F15s respectively, and often beating the newer and much more expensive jets.
Those are F-5s, the F-20 never made it to production.

Very nice looking jet. I knew I had seen it elsewhere, but couldn't put my finger on it until just now:

"The aircraft used for the fictional MiG-28s are Northrop F-5E (single seat) and F (two seat) Tiger IIs, which were used by TOP GUN as aggressor aircraft. "
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092099/trivia

Very nice looking jet. I knew I had seen it elsewhere, but couldn't put my finger on it until just now:

"The aircraft used for the fictional MiG-28s are Northrop F-5E (single seat) and F (two seat) Tiger IIs, which were used by TOP GUN as aggressor aircraft. "
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092099/trivia
"Flying through Time" is a nice commercial free documentary on military aviation (and some civil aviation) history on Amazon Prime. Episode 13 focuses on the F5. The series also has segments devoted to the Hellcat, F4U Corsair, F14, F15, SR71, Valkyrie, P38, A4, A7, C130, and the Century Series F100 and follow on Aircraft. Not a bad background TV series for rocket building if you are into aviation. Each segment is less than 1 hour.

Click on images for full size:

qVbFGCQ.jpg

29329497978_c74366c549_o.jpg

42482642304_5a57665e91_o.jpg

F16AM-FA101-Demo2018-BAF-Laurent-Heyligen-Low-Approach-06.jpg

46216674564_d6c8d6d658_b.jpg

Nellis AFB aggressor "Ghost" paint scheme:

5ced9b1f11e2050ec3245824

F-16 Viper - NEW paint scheme with Ghost Design

F-15E Strike Eagle Heritage Paint Scheme / 4th Fighter Wing 75th Anniversary

3962310.jpg

Fwiw, knowing some Fighter Pilots myself, I learned from them that when the F-16 came out, the pilots felt the name "Fighting Falcon" sounded quite a bit "wimpy". They preferred to call it, ( and please keep in mind that there had just been the original Battlestar Galactica series out), the "Viper" as it sounded really deadly and maneuverable. I still see the F-16 referred to in print as the "Viper" once in a while. Cheers

Fwiw, knowing some Fighter Pilots myself, I learned from them that when the F-16 came out, the pilots felt the name "Fighting Falcon" sounded quite a bit "wimpy". They preferred to call it, ( and please keep in mind that there had just been the original Battlestar Galactica series out), the "Viper" as it sounded really deadly and maneuverable. I still see the F-16 referred to in print as the "Viper" once in a while. Cheers
The F-16 demo team:

https://www.blogbeforeflight.net/2020/05/usaf-f-16-viper-demo-team-venom-paint-scheme.html
Can't find a hi res image of that paint scheme anywhere. They are all clipped showing only a part of the plane. The only full plane, hi res images I can find of it are actually just very good 3D renderings.

A-10 pilots prefer to call their plane the Warthog which I also prefer over Thunderbolt II. Fighting Falcon = Yech.

I love watching the videos taken from the Mach Loop. Standing above the aircrafts flight level as they pass by at high speed....I would love to experience in person.
Just a few samples of what is available.

Where exactly is this? and is is a 'predictable' thing? (meaning it happens on a specific date at a specific time)

On a side note:

My grand parent had a lovely house in North England (Whitby area, town of Grosmont) Well, they happene4d to be 'above & overlooked' the valley. The valley was used for a bombing run on the railway station as it was a station & main switch. They (the grandparents) would be having their afternoon tea or morning breakfast and 1 or 2 A-10s would come rumbling up the valley to make their run.

While I was there many years ago, I was at the train station, and in the gift shop when they made their run. Friggin' pissed i missed their flight!!

Mach Loop is in Wales, and predictable is according to the guide:
On average you will see 2-5 movements a day now during “good weather” (clouds or sun), but sometimes there are even days with 0 or also 20 movements.
It's not just F15's there are also videos from the cockpit views and takes including the F22 to the A400m and the C17 as well.
Watched one where the photographer panned as the plane transitioned, went back and showed a nude woman standing on the opposite peak, then went back to the planes.

Speaking of canyons... I was deer hunting, up in a stand, south of San Angelo, TX. The stand is located next to a fairly large canyon, giving a great view over lots of terrain (hence the location of the stand). I hear a great commotion coming down the canyon. I turned around in time to see two F16's coming down the canyon, *below* the stand! They had to have been breaking regulations, being that low. I was shaking so much after that, I gave up on hunting. I figured the deer were probably spooked as bad as I was. too.

Back