The most beautiful jet fighter ever made

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a number of variants of the SU27, some with side by side seating, others with the more traditional "in line" seating arrangement.

4bb54986208466376aed186ca7aee53f.jpg

Something about these just don't look fast from the side to me. They more look like an inverted newest class of the Starship Enterprise from the side.
I think jets look more streamline when the intakes are on the side and the fuselage is inline from tip to tail.
I'm sure there are aerodynamic and performance reason's for making them this way, but it looks like they are meant to come apart like the dish on the Enterprise.
I also don't care for delta wings or one's with forward canards. And the one's with pods at the wing tips are kinda cool, but they played heck testing those things.
But take a 1966 Piper Twin with the small wing tip tanks, and that is one sweet looking prop plane...I think. I'd love to have one of those!

And the one's with pods at the wing tips are kinda cool, but they played heck testing those things.
They do look good, but the problem with the wingtip pods is that the mass ends up as far as possible from the central axis of the aircraft, limiting roll performance due to increased roll inertia. There is something nice about flying a jet with almost all the mass on the main axis. Almost no reverse roll is needed to cancel an existing roll in progress. You just center the stick and the aircraft seems to stop rolling. Surprisingly nice!

Why do I have to pick only one?!

However, I confess there is something kinda "Russian Beauty Contest" about the lines on the MiG 1.44.... even though it never went into production.Mig1.44_Hamilton_5.png imageproxy.jpeg

I've watched many an F 15 fly at Hollowman, yet during joint exercises the A 10 out shined them all. It will turn tighter with beautiful grace. I sware I saw one drag a tip in the sand.

I've watched many an F 15 fly at Hollowman, yet during joint exercises the A 10 out shined them all. It will turn tighter with beautiful grace. I sware I saw one drag a tip in the sand.
The A-10s at Whiteman were always fun to watch. They'd fly pretty low and do some crazy stuff.

My new job is based at BTV and the guard squadron here just got F-35s. We've got a pretty good view :D.

Attachments

• IMG_5019.jpg
    IMG_5019.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 77
Colorful F-16s of the 64th Aggressor Squadron at Nellis AFB

F-16 Gets Paint Scheme of Russian Su-57 Stealth Fighter

F15 for the win......(acquaintance from a flying forum in photo....)

Attachments

• B16FDA12-9B29-43FE-81C6-6595FE41EFDD.jpeg
    B16FDA12-9B29-43FE-81C6-6595FE41EFDD.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 14
Back