The most beautiful jet fighter ever made

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

KC3KNM

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 452128
speaking of retired fighters. Of course, it’s not much to look at......
I remember when I was at Whiteman and was doing some laundry at a laundromat. An older woman saw my ABUs and exlaimed "Man, those stealth jets are crazy! You can hear them but you can't see them!", her husband just chuckled. 😅

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
I did the Davis-Monthan tour. It was a tour I would take again but it would be nice to wander.
I did the same while stationed there. More than once I travelled the perimeter road on my 10-speed and eyeballed inward in the beautiful, late afternoon winter weather. Sunsets in AZ can be awesome and were a nice backdrop to the planes. I wasn't into photography then and, actually, even after I was I finally learned to consciously avoid taking photos because everything became about the right framing, angles, and lighting and not about just experiencing the moments.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This image is an intentional deception. From the outline we can tell it's a current technology F-22:

What, I can still see the guy?!

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Navy Reserve Aggressor aircraft. As always, click to view full size:

Not sure if those are F5s or F20s. In either case, one of the cleanest, simplest lines of any jet fighter. I saw a documentary with a segment on the F5, the Top Gun and I believe Air Force equivalent programs were flying them against F14s and F15s respectively, and often beating the newer and much more expensive jets.

Mugs914

Pardon me for talkin' while you're interruptin'...
Reaction score
Those are F-5s, the F-20 never made it to production.

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if those are F5s or F20s. In either case, one of the cleanest, simplest lines of any jet fighter. I saw a documentary with a segment on the F5, the Top Gun and I believe Air Force equivalent programs were flying them against F14s and F15s respectively, and often beating the newer and much more expensive jets.
Those are F-5s, the F-20 never made it to production.
Very nice looking jet. I knew I had seen it elsewhere, but couldn't put my finger on it until just now:

"The aircraft used for the fictional MiG-28s are Northrop F-5E (single seat) and F (two seat) Tiger IIs, which were used by TOP GUN as aggressor aircraft. "

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice looking jet. I knew I had seen it elsewhere, but couldn't put my finger on it until just now:

"The aircraft used for the fictional MiG-28s are Northrop F-5E (single seat) and F (two seat) Tiger IIs, which were used by TOP GUN as aggressor aircraft. "
"Flying through Time" is a nice commercial free documentary on military aviation (and some civil aviation) history on Amazon Prime. Episode 13 focuses on the F5. The series also has segments devoted to the Hellcat, F4U Corsair, F14, F15, SR71, Valkyrie, P38, A4, A7, C130, and the Century Series F100 and follow on Aircraft. Not a bad background TV series for rocket building if you are into aviation. Each segment is less than 1 hour.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Click on images for full size:

Nellis AFB aggressor "Ghost" paint scheme:

F-16 Viper - NEW paint scheme with Ghost Design

F-15E Strike Eagle Heritage Paint Scheme / 4th Fighter Wing 75th Anniversary

Vitruvius

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Fwiw, knowing some Fighter Pilots myself, I learned from them that when the F-16 came out, the pilots felt the name "Fighting Falcon" sounded quite a bit "wimpy". They preferred to call it, ( and please keep in mind that there had just been the original Battlestar Galactica series out), the "Viper" as it sounded really deadly and maneuverable. I still see the F-16 referred to in print as the "Viper" once in a while. Cheers

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Fwiw, knowing some Fighter Pilots myself, I learned from them that when the F-16 came out, the pilots felt the name "Fighting Falcon" sounded quite a bit "wimpy". They preferred to call it, ( and please keep in mind that there had just been the original Battlestar Galactica series out), the "Viper" as it sounded really deadly and maneuverable. I still see the F-16 referred to in print as the "Viper" once in a while. Cheers
The F-16 demo team:

Can't find a hi res image of that paint scheme anywhere. They are all clipped showing only a part of the plane. The only full plane, hi res images I can find of it are actually just very good 3D renderings.

A-10 pilots prefer to call their plane the Warthog which I also prefer over Thunderbolt II. Fighting Falcon = Yech.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
F-16 Venom?

1615223554933.png

1615223616018.png

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That F15 in the Mach Loop is from RAF Lakenheath. They had F-111's when we were there. Here we have Starwars Canyon which is similar to the Mach Loop.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
I love watching the videos taken from the Mach Loop. Standing above the aircrafts flight level as they pass by at high speed....I would love to experience in person.
Just a few samples of what is available.
Where exactly is this? and is is a 'predictable' thing? (meaning it happens on a specific date at a specific time)

On a side note:

My grand parent had a lovely house in North England (Whitby area, town of Grosmont) Well, they happene4d to be 'above & overlooked' the valley. The valley was used for a bombing run on the railway station as it was a station & main switch. They (the grandparents) would be having their afternoon tea or morning breakfast and 1 or 2 A-10s would come rumbling up the valley to make their run.

While I was there many years ago, I was at the train station, and in the gift shop when they made their run. Friggin' pissed i missed their flight!!

TSMILLER

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Mach Loop is in Wales, and predictable is according to the guide:
On average you will see 2-5 movements a day now during “good weather” (clouds or sun), but sometimes there are even days with 0 or also 20 movements.
It's not just F15's there are also videos from the cockpit views and takes including the F22 to the A400m and the C17 as well.
Watched one where the photographer panned as the plane transitioned, went back and showed a nude woman standing on the opposite peak, then went back to the planes.

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Star Wars Canyon is also called Rainbow Canyon. It is in Death Valley. Also predictable. There are some You Tube videos.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
Speaking of canyons... I was deer hunting, up in a stand, south of San Angelo, TX. The stand is located next to a fairly large canyon, giving a great view over lots of terrain (hence the location of the stand). I hear a great commotion coming down the canyon. I turned around in time to see two F16's coming down the canyon, *below* the stand! They had to have been breaking regulations, being that low. I was shaking so much after that, I gave up on hunting. I figured the deer were probably spooked as bad as I was. too.