The moon is in danger

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaturnV

Reaction score
Many unscrupulous people are preparing to extract resources from the moon if it is owned by their grandfather! The moon should be used only for the construction of spacecraft and nothing else!

Dang! He found me out. I'm sitting here with the deed to the moon that my grandfather gave me. I'm ready to strip it bare as soon as I find some cheap alien labor. I know it's out there.

The only realistic way to extract lunar resources of which I'm aware is with a solar-powered mass driver.

Nothing up there is rare enough to warrant such extraction until it's cheaper to boost out of an airless gravity well than it is to build on Terra firma, AKA demand for points beyond.

I think the asteroid guys have it right, lots of rare metals which could potentially have enormous payoff ( and completely disrupt some Earth mining ).

One can imagine a scenario in which the sunk costs for near Earth exploitation make it less unreasonable to look at the belt, necessitating a way station or two.

Hopefully at least a little frontierism in my lifetime, but probably not.

As long as we can get enough He3 for our fusion reactors here on Earth to solve all of our problems, then we can afford to sacrifice a few clones every 3 years to run our mining operation for Lunar Industries based in Korea.

:marshmallow:

The only realistic way to extract lunar resources of which I'm aware is with a solar-powered mass driver.

Nothing up there is rare enough to warrant such extraction until it's cheaper to boost out of an airless gravity well than it is to build on Terra firma, AKA demand for points beyond.

I think the asteroid guys have it right, lots of rare metals which could potentially have enormous payoff ( and completely disrupt some Earth mining ).

One can imagine a scenario in which the sunk costs for near Earth exploitation make it less unreasonable to look at the belt, necessitating a way station or two.

Hopefully at least a little frontierism in my lifetime, but probably not.

I've been curious about that. Extracting something from an asteroid obviously leaves it weighing less, so won't that alter its orbit? What is the risk of it crashing into Mars or Jupiter, or ... yikes! ... Earth?

Most of the not-insane ideas I've read involve parking it in some orbit or other.

But yeah, we'll need new laws & safety standards to prevent a bankruptcy causing a Chicxulub.

Many unscrupulous people are preparing to extract resources from the moon if it is owned by their grandfather! The moon should be used only for the construction of spacecraft and nothing else!

What the heck are you talking about? The moon is a huge body that is essentially doing nothing. If somebody can make a financial and technological case for mining it they should.

Last time I checked, know one owns the moon. Mine away.

I think that the Discovery Channel should send Lisa and those other nitwits from Bering Sea Gold to the moon and have them dig for gold. Or, would it be cheese.

[video=youtube;twuScTcDP_Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuScTcDP_Q[/video]

ssix

[video=youtube;twuScTcDP_Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuScTcDP_Q[/video]

ssix
You beat me to it. Decent scifi movie about He3 extraction from the lunar surface... and other things...

Grampa won the moon fair and square in a poker game, and he can pass it on to me if he wants to. No law against that.

I've heard of some unscrupulous guy or people who have actually "sold" property rights to some very famous people both of the Hollywood type as well as politicians and the very well off. This was I think well over a decade ago as far as the "selling" was concerned.

Last edited:
My grandfather owns the title deed to Mare Crisium. I could sell it really cheap. Only one million dollars and I'll sign it over. I'll even throw in the Brooklyn Bridge to sweeten the deal...

I'm not worried, I just checked in the mirror and my moon is fine, in fact it is beyond fine. :cool2:

That's right. Let's go mine the moon. Sooner or later some nimrod is going to say, "OOPS" and we'll be looking at this.

Moon Destroyed.jpg

I live right next door to a Whole Foods, and the price of cheese there is exorbitant. So, if I need to go a little out of my way for some free cheese, who can blame me?

After watching the Sharknado movies, your brain should be in danger of liquefication... :wink:

Adrian

too late- that happened after watching mars attacks!:kill:

seriously, i hadnt laughed that hard in a long time while watching them.
imma dork.

Latest posts

Back