The Mission Impossible.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan S.

Reaction score
I just PMed nick for some info and he asked for some pics. so I started taking some for everyone. I realized how I really did not post enough pics here. So I took a bunch of my current project, and here they are:

here are the tubes and fincan the tubes are completly glassed with 6oz

this is the coupler I made from a 12" peice of phenolic tube I cut off one of the airframe tubes (the short one) it is internally glassed and really strong it fits perfectly, a little to good, I need to add some tape.

sorry you couldnt see the whole coupler in that last picture, I needed to crop it so it fit.

here is another view of the coupler, this time on the outside

here is the twisty coupler I was talking about this picture shows the groove

the tubular nylon I bought. 40ft sections for each part of the rocket. 1", nice stuff I got it cheap too

and here it is, in all its glory, to big to fit in the whole camera. I look kinda disheveled, probably from working all day, man am I a mess :rolleyes:

Looks awesome Ryan! Can't wait to see that monster fly at LDRS. I'll see what I can do about getting motors for it when the launch gets closer. I think it'd like a nice K1100T or K695R, it'll fly beautifully on either of those!

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
Ryan, What is the diameter of that body tube? Is that (1) 29mm, (2) 24mm and (2) 18mm motor tubes?

LOL. That is 1 54mm, 2 38mm, and 2 29mms :D

hehehehe good point. I want to cluster it though. I may go with a K1100 and some I357s I havent decided. I was gonna do a redline cluster but I heard that might be a bad idea because they are hard to ignite.

The K1275 will probably happen as well, but that will be a single motor flight.

Originally posted by Ryan S.
LOL. That is 1 54mm, 2 38mm, and 2 29mms :D

Holy cow...... I was sure off..... I got the whole scale off....... What diameter body tube? 5.38"???

yeah that picture is kind of deceiving. That is a PML 6" tube..... ;)

Ryan, It looks great! What are the dimensions of your fins? They look smaller that the fins that came with mine. On mine, the root cord length is 30 inches, and the semi span is 8 inches.

Wow...that rocket is a beast. Best of luck on your first flight with it!

I certainly have to agree with most when saying that the best scale pictures are the ones that show a person standing next to the rocket.

Originally posted by Ryan S.
I may go with a K1100 and some I357s I havent decided.

Do a K1100T + 2x I435Ts and it'll scream! Literally... you'll get that trademark Blue Thunder scream that big BT clusters make off the pad :D

the length of the fin where it hits the BT is 27" from the BT to the tip of the fin is 6"

I will consider clustering it on I435s. I like the scream but remember I live on the East coast ;) I need to see how high it will go the LDRS waiver is like 8000'

Ryan,

My Mission Impossible sims out just under 6000' on a AMW K975 central motor and 4 pro38 I350 smokey sams airstarted in pairs at 2 and 3 seconds. Figure the mix of white and black smoke should be great.
Just remember not to mix types if you are going to groundstart (using only pad electronics) all the motors, if you dont get them all to light it will get ugly. With clusters I like to use Cessaroni motors for the outboards and have the onboard electronics fire them as needed.

My Impossible

OOOOOOHHHH.... SO tHATS why you needed an estimate on a 14' chute..... I dont know if I can manage someting that big... I took a tape measure out,and 14' is more thanI thought! I reccomend you take a look at military surplus.... Contact BIll Spadafora. He hadone of those, I think. BTW, you could use 2 or 3 smaller chutes. I could manage 5' or 6'. 3 6' should be enough, I believe. 3 of those would be about $125, +shipping. Thats a lot... That rocket cost what, $350? But thats how much it costs.... Nylon aint cheap, and neither is Kevlar, if thats what you want for shroudlines....

I could but then I would neet harnesses and advanced stuff like that. I will go with a single chute. A guy in my club said he has one he may sell me

Ryan,

If that falls through try AEROCON they show a 17' mil surplus for $85. Just remember that this type of chute typically wont take the kind of abuse that a Rocketman or SkyAngle will take. So make certain you have a properly sized drogue so the main doesnt get hit with too big of a shock.

Thank you, I have been looking at that chute, Do you think it is too big or the right size? What size drogue should I use for the MI if I use this chute?

I am interested because it is extremely cheap

Thanks

What's your MI's finished weight? Don't forget the weight of the fired motors, bridles, avionics, batteries etc.

it isnt finished but It will probably be pretty heavy. I will go weigh some of the parts now.

About that chute....is it nice? Someone is offering me one with a bag and pilot for less than the chute alone is selling for on Aerocon so I definantly may get it

Thanks

If you can get a chute with deployment bag and pilot for less, go for it. Just make certain you maintain enough speed for the pilot to pull the main out of the bag. You may even want to go drogueless on apogee. I've seen many big rockets come down drogueless at my club, most just have the two halves come down relatively flat and stable.
If you elect to go with the 17' one you'll need at least a 60" drogue if your MI is as heavy as mine. A 60" drogue brings it down at just under 50'/sec which the main should have no problems with.

I believe the chute I am being sold it the one from Aerocon that someone has used. It has a deployment bag and a pilot.

If mine is as heavy as yours, which it probably will be, will the 17ft work?

If it does, I suppose I will get a drogue, maybe the Rocketman Drogue so it comes down fast enough for the main to pull out but not shred it

This is all getting a bit complicated, what chute do you have for yours? I am thinking of not use a Dbag and just using an R14

Yes, the 17' will work, it will slow it down to less than 15'/sec which is what you are looking for. Deployment bags help make sure that the chute opens in a controlled fashion. If you decide not to use one, you can get something like the GiantLeap slider to reduce the opening shock.
I have a custom made chute that is similar to a rocketman chute in design, its a little bigger than a R14 but not by much.

Back