The Mission Impossible.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very cool ryan, wish I could have been there

looking forward to your K1100T flight at LDRS, should be a nice chippy flight

Hey Ryan. That rocket looks familiar :D . Glad to see you rebuilt it.

A quick History lesson for you all. I originally built that as my personal rocket before Smokin' Rockets was around. First flight was on a K1100 BT airstarting two I 211 WL's then airstarting two H124 blackjacks. I named it "Mission Impossible" because I thought it would never work. Well it flew perfectly with blue flame, then white smoke, then black smoke. Very cool.

Second flight was on an APS Spitfire K 1500. This 54mm motor is three feet long! Another awesome LOUD flight.

The last and fatefull flight was on an APS L1100 Redeye and airstarting two APS I Spitfires. Well the main L motor was hard to start and she chuffed for over 30 seconds on the pad. It finally came up to pressure and flew nice for a couple seconds. Then the delay burned through (from the chuffing) and all hell broke loose. Chute came out and then the airstarts decided to rumble to life. Well needless to say what you got from me was the carnage.

So you might say that was an early prototype of the SR kit. As Nick noted, some small changes were made.

Good luck on future flights....Bill

yeah this rocket is great, once I get some more money I am gonna stick a timer in it and run some wires down that conduit.

it would be nice to fly that rocket on a 3300 case, but I dont think there are many around anymore.

Anyway, I am glad the fincan got to me, I really like the rocket.

I know you guys are probably tired of hearing about this rocket, but I finally painted it, and here are some pics; first, the rocket with 2 coats of gloss blue paint

not bad for my first job, yes there are some bumps, but look how good it came out, you can see most of me in the reflection!

now for the money shot, I flamed it out, they arent that good,, but not that bad for my first time using the HVLP. I wil have pics of the entire rocket tommorow

that picture blurs them alot, they look better than that.

Also, thanks to Sorules for his program that allows me to embed pictures in my posts

Originally posted by DPatell
nice toes ;)

LOL!

Blew, I drew alot of flames and got an idea of the shape I was looking for, then I just masked them off, I tweaked the tape alot but it came out pretty decent

Looking forward to seeing it fly Ryan, should be cool.

Rob - Think the motor will tear the fins off it? ;)

What happened here? Your motor burn through?

DSCN04891.JPG

Got any vids?

It did indeed, the long motor was high in Aluminum making it very hot, which burned through the case and popped a section off the rocket. I was still happy with the flight, I was more afriad of a bulkhead going through the rocket, and the damage, although iit does not look it, is not very bad.

Repairs consist of; glueing the body tube back on and using ample amounts of bondo to fill the gaps, and then some sanding and repainting. The rocket is still as strong as it was before, so I am not going to put any fiberglass or anything else on the rocket

Overal I was happy with the flight. The rocket flew straight even though the motor lost pressure somewhere around 500 feet and thrusted out the side as well as the back. Maybe someday I will fly it on another one of these motors, if there is one out there

A really great guy who was LCOing made a mistake by omission and a group of us on the opposite end of the range were walking directly toward Ryan's rocket during a countdown we couldn't hear. One guy was a lot closer than the rest of us because of the last radio transmission we received.

"We have to wait for a window and won't be launching for 10 minutes."

One minute later the surprise (for us) takeoff and resulting CATO shocked the one who was closest and he let out a tirade on the radio which had at least 12 F-bombs and descriptions of various anatomy parts. If nothing else, one more LCO has been trained. :cool:

I was annoyed because I missed taping the flight, the other lad was not so forgiving. There is no room for brain farts when dealing with away cell safety.

Chuck

Back