The look of (the) Future

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. The inability to stick with one name for this product is utterly baffling to me. All this could possibly do is create customer confusion.

I'd venture to guess that they have a lot if big-brain marketeers and branding strategists who have "good" reasons for coming up with this stuff. Evidently the modeling community doesn't show up on their radar.

I do like the product description, "Extra heavy duty hard finish acrylic". The Pledge product doesn't mention acrylic anymore. Thanks

I do like the product description, "Extra heavy duty hard finish acrylic". The Pledge product doesn't mention acrylic anymore. Thanks

Yes, Sam, it does seem tougher with a marginally thicker build up than Future.

AFAIK the new Pledge whatever is still the same acrylic stuff. Only the packaging and name have changed (if this is not true I'd certainly like to know about it).

How is the smell of that Lundmark stuff, and how does it go on? I normally foam brush the Future and it self-levels pretty well, although I've thought of mixing it with some Simple Green to make it thinner and level even better.

AFAIK the new Pledge whatever is still the same acrylic stuff. Only the packaging and name have changed (if this is not true I'd certainly like to know about it).

How is the smell of that Lundmark stuff, and how does it go on? I normally foam brush the Future and it self-levels pretty well, although I've thought of mixing it with some Simple Green to make it thinner and level even better.
Very little smell. I wipe it on with lint-free microfiber cloth. Similar to wipe-on wood stain. Nothing easier and you eliminate the small bubbles typical with a foam brush. Flows well and self levels. Just don't soak the cloth. You can also remove it with ammonia, although you will have to use a stronger mix than used when removing Future, I guess because the interlocking is stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried a bottle of the Lundmark stuff and hate it. Very runny, not much gloss didn't seem to do the self leveling flow-out that Future does. I wondered if I did something wrong but my body to matches the picture.

And you bought the right stuff? There are more than a dozen Lundmark products on Amazon, waxes, cleaners, strippers, etc., some diluted, some non-diluted.

I’ve heard of the Future trick but forgot about it years ago. What’s the deal, just brush it on and let it sit for a thick shine? Spray it somehow? I have a rocket I’d like to clear and I’m willing to try something new.

BTW Sam, are we looking good for a Gunter launch soon?

I’ve heard of the Future trick but forgot about it years ago. What’s the deal, just brush it on and let it sit for a thick shine? Spray it somehow? I have a rocket I’d like to clear and I’m willing to try something new.

Here is a thread detailing application methods.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...getting-a-smooooth-finish-with-future.121930/

I have used those cheap paint brush sponges & lint free rags and it goes on pretty easy & dries quick. Usually 2-3 coats if I remember correctly. Haven't used it in years. Others have used air brushes.

And you bought the right stuff? There are more than a dozen Lundmark products on Amazon, waxes, cleaners, strippers, etc., some diluted, some non-diluted.

Yup. Definitely the same. Here are pics of my bottle:

Lundmark 1.jpg

Lundmark 2.jpg

I was careful to shake the bottle well before using. It goes on super thin/drippy (almost like water) and the coat was very thin and not shiny. Somewhere around satin, I would say. Two coats didn't make much difference. I tried it on various surfaces, side by side with Future (Pledge with Future shine). I did a side by side on a piece of foam core board that had been painted with a few different paints, then after drying coating with the two products. The Future side had that thick, wet look gloss to it; the Lundmark was almost grainy.

I'm happy to do further experiments with it, because if there's some trick to using it I'm interested.

I've used whatever was handy at the time: brush, sponge, paper towel. 1 direction, 1 stroke,try not to overlap, leave it till it dries. If it looks good enough then I'm done. If not, another application. I've read here that others spray it on but I haven't tried that method.

Yes, next up on the calendar is September 15th.

Last edited:
So this is interesting, I have used acrylic on my boat for stain protection and the shiny gloss look.

Questions... other than looks/gloss, what benefits are gained by using acrylic? My boat does about 40 MPH, Rocket... well a bit faster.

Do you lay the acrylic right over the clear coat? And if you use a two part epoxy clear coat, say 3 layers of clear, would one still see benefits of using acrylic?

It’s used as an alternative to clear coat. One benefit is it doesn’t yellow. It can also be easily removed with ammonia.

I was careful to shake the bottle well before using. It goes on super thin/drippy (almost like water) and the coat was very thin and not shiny. Somewhere around satin, I would say. Two coats didn't make much difference. I tried it on various surfaces, side by side with Future (Pledge with Future shine). I did a side by side on a piece of foam core board that had been painted with a few different paints, then after drying coating with the two products. The Future side had that thick, wet look gloss to it; the Lundmark was almost grainy.

I'm happy to do further experiments with it, because if there's some trick to using it I'm interested.
Maybe you received a bad bottle somehow(?).

View attachment 361326

View attachment 361327

Did you notice the bold print on the back of the bottle that says “Do Not Shake Before Using”?
Maybe that is your problem.

Back