The Lazy RSO's motor guide

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this! Potentially very useful.

One note: you should add the 38mm G motors somewhere.

38mm G's........yes, yes I should......let me go do that.

I always forget about those 1 grain motors.....

So for anyone that already printed the guide, 38 Gs will go in their own section at the back, so it'll be easy to add!

For the next major update, I"d suggest adding an upfront graph that blows up the low power region, say up to 15 Newtons average thrust. It's hard to read those graphs down there.

Can you expand a little more? I'm unsure of exactly what you're looking for

Update, yeah it probably is time I finish the L3 section

Volume 1, page 4. Try to read the 3:1, 5:1, and 7:1 values for a C6. Because the vertical axis goes all the way to 70 N it's hard to pick out small values. If you take the same lines but plotted only for weight from 0 to 15 Oz and average thrust from 0 to 15 N it will be much easier to read for those low power motors and low mass rockets. Not instead of what's there but in addition.

Anybody still updating this?

Hey Chuck,

I'd say the last time I updated it was around December 2018. I'm going out on a limb and guessing there's been some changes in the motor availability since then, so I'm afraid it's definitely out of date.
Since then I got married, bought a house, and now have a 1 month old baby, so I haven't sat down to to update it in quite some time

(I also got deluged by link request emails letting me know the google drive link from the first post is expired or no-longer-applicable)

I'll see what I can do about getting the link restored. Any chance I can have edit permission for that post?

If you send me the links, I will update it for you. I can also help update and maintain the files if you need help.

During my first RSO experience at Southern Thunder this year, I really wished I had a motor curve reference at hand to end arguments quickly with data. Especially when technology isn't cooperating, and fliers threw out the motor datasheet 5 months ago.

That being said, I began whipped up these motor guides for whenever I find myself under the tent again, and figured I'd share it for anyone else that was interested.

The major sections are broken out motor diameter, and, for lookup convenience, the listing is by Designation (A3,A8,B4,B6, etc.....)
~Nyt

**Note** The online view makes the page numbers in the doc footers screwy. Once downloaded, it should be back to normal, and the dynamic index functional again.
$$Update$$ Volume 2 (L1 High Power) is now live. Links added for Volumes 3 (L2) and 4 (L3). Check recent posts to for updates.

Lazy RSO's motor guide Vol. 1
Lazy RSO's motor guide Vol. 2
Lazy RSO's motor guide Vol. 3

Lazy RSO's motor guide Vol. 4
I just get some annoying google login... Anyway, I remember back in the early days of HPR before on site computers ruled the post, Bob Kaplow produced set of waiver tables to indicate if a rocket/Motor could exceed the waiver altitude. Whatever happened to that lazy RSO guide?

Yea, the links seem to now be broken or you are required to have a google account to access them.

I know that at MDRA (Red Glare) the RSO has a book of motors to check for a minimum of 5:1 TTW ratio. That may even have a max altitude to ensure not breaking the waver.

During my first RSO experience at Southern Thunder this year, I really wished I had a motor curve reference at hand to end arguments quickly with data. Especially when technology isn't cooperating, and fliers threw out the motor datasheet 5 months ago.

That being said, I began whipped up these motor guides for whenever I find myself under the tent again, and figured I'd share it for anyone else that was interested.

The major sections are broken out motor diameter, and, for lookup convenience, the listing is by Designation (A3,A8,B4,B6, etc.....)
~Nyt

**Note** The online view makes the page numbers in the doc footers screwy. Once downloaded, it should be back to normal, and the dynamic index functional again.
$$Update$$ Volume 2 (L1 High Power) is now live. Links added for Volumes 3 (L2) and 4 (L3). Check recent posts to for updates.

Lazy RSO's motor guide Vol. 1
Lazy RSO's motor guide Vol. 2
Lazy RSO's motor guide Vol. 3

Lazy RSO's motor guide Vol. 4
I requested access to these. Thanks.

Been awhile since I've signed in

Is this still maintained?
It really isn't.

I created It 6ish years ago before I was married or had a kid and when my career was significantly less challenging lol, but never completed the L2/L3 portions and definitely haven't kept up with additions like the Qjets or C5.

I granted CWbullet link access in the meantime

Been awhile since I've signed in

It really isn't.

I created It 6ish years ago before I was married or had a kid and when my career was significantly less challenging lol, but never completed the L2/L3 portions and definitely haven't kept up with additions like the Qjets or C5.

I granted CWbullet link access in the meantime
I might read through this an help you if you need it.

I might read through this an help you if you need it.

I won't say I need help, since that would imply I was planning to work on it in the near future.

Truthfully it's just the thrustcurves alphabetized and thrown into a word doc by impulse.

But if anyone finds it useful or worthy of updating from the last 5 years, they're welcome to try!

Back