The Launch Pad Nike Hercules

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that The Launch Pad has a Nike Hercules kit. This is a full kit and not the plan pack. Has anyone built one and what do you think of the kit? I've always wanted to build a Nike Herc! Thanks for any replies! I've built the Nike Ajax and it's an awesome rocket.

You mean had a Nike Hercules kit.
Long OOP.
The kit is a single stager.
They had a plan pak that was a two stager.
Just started my kit, can't say yet how it is.

Yes I know that the company is gone...I just found one for sale. Does it have the paper type cone extension that a lot of their kits have? I always groaned at having to make them, but they always turned out ok. Any pics of your kit pieces would be appreciated but that's fine if you would rather not. Thanks for the information!

Here you go buds.
Tons of paper transitions and shrouds.
One of those kits where after building it you feel that you've really accomplished something.
If you can get one at a reasonable price then I would say go for it.
I only coupled the central core and glued in the motor mount. Added a plastic motor retainer.
Good luck.
1022201143[1].jpg

I just found I had an unfinished Roachwerks Nike Hercules kit I started years ago! If all the parts are still there, I may try to finish it. 4 D12-5 powered!

Looking at that photo.......

That's a lot of transitions!

Last edited:
Built and flown TLP and Roachworks kits. TLP Nike Ajax on three and Roachworks Hercules on 4. I would reinforce TLP above motor mount with coupler or CA for better durability. TLP dual chites on Ajax a bit tricky. As with any cluster be aware of the burn of 3 to four motors. Keep distance from blst deflector or don't use one. Always crowd favorites.

Yes my TLP Nike Ajax flies awesome on 3 D12-5!...and deploys 3 Mylar chutes! But last flight hung on a power line...I rescued it!

I have one still in the box. I am hoping to build it once the house renovation is complete (hopefully by Christmas) and the shop is cleaned up once again. I have been jonesing to build some rockets...

Not sure if I will modify it into a two-stager... It is very tempting, but it is already a nice kit and I would hate to goof up on it.

I have two unbuilt and still in their box. I know I will never get around to building them. I need to sell them.

I know Uncle Mikes has plan packs for TLP, including the NH.
I was thinking on ordering a couple I like, but I'm not sure what the plan pack consists of.
Hate to waste $30 on 2 plan packs that won't never materialize.
If anyone has info on the plan packs, please share in a PM.
Don't mean to hijack this thread.

I know Uncle Mikes has plan packs for TLP, including the NH.
I was thinking on ordering a couple I like, but I'm not sure what the plan pack consists of.
Hate to waste $30 on 2 plan packs that won't never materialize.
If anyone has info on the plan packs, please share in a PM.
Don't mean to hijack this thread.
I have and have used a plan pack as the basis of a Nike Hercules semi-scale model, read the instructions through multiple times as they can be hard to follow since the directions and illustrations/patterns on not necessarily on adjacent pages.

I have and have used a plan pack as the basis of a Nike Hercules semi-scale model, read the instructions through multiple times as they can be hard to follow since the directions and illustrations/patterns on not necessarily on adjacent pages.

I have to agree. I have the NH plan pack and am not impressed. The information on constructing the electronic upper stage ignition system is interesting and the patterns for the interstage are ok but if I had it to do over I'd save my money, go without and just design my own based on available drawings of the full scale. I might consider a TLP kit if I can find one for a price I'm willing to pay.

Last edited:
I have built and flown successfully both the Boyce and the Roachwerks NH. Both have a 4-motor cluster in the first stage. I converted the Roackwerks NH to have an electronic fired second stage.

Wasn't the regular price for the NH around $100, IIRC?
I believe you are correct. I scratch build so much anymore; Unless it's something my grandson specifically wants I almost never build kits anymore. I did build a couple TLP kits some years ago and I remember thinking it wasn't much of a leap from one of those kit TO a scratch build. ;)

I actually talked with Chuck at TLP about this, and he said the plan-pack for the Nike Hercules is nowhere near as well developed as the kit.

I made a rather long narrated slide show of the construction of the Nike Hercules kit. About 23 minutes. It covers from the first step through finishing. I just uploaded it so it's still in processing as of 1300 CST 19 Nov 2020. I didn't think anyone would be interested so I didn't upload it before now.

The maiden flight of the TLP Nike Hercules.

Very nice Ken!
Did I hear the RSO say G76?
Awesome flight.
Keeping mine stock, mid power.
Will be referring to your build video while I put mine together.
Thanks!

Yes G 76 Green. 48" homemade Mylar chute and a 500# test Kevlar shock cord. Very fussy build, but very satisfying when its done. One bit of advice is to strengthen the central B60 body tube where the booster section meets the sustainer. Mine failed at that point tearing the sustainer completely away from the booster. Other than that it flew perfectly several times.

Really neet build, build video, and flight. I've only ever seen one other in the flesh and it wasn't nearly as nice as yours. I can see it's a difficult build.

Just a couple of nits on terminology that take nothing from your build:
  • 'directional fins' are elevons.
  • 'directional fin guides' are actually elevon locks; they prevent motion of the elevons prior to staging.
  • 'directional fin actuators' are actually dynamic dampers; the damper is on the elevon and the part on the main fin is just an aerodynamic shroud for the damper - they are separate unconnected pieces, though the gap between them is small. The actuators are in the rocket body at the elevon root forward edge.
Since this thread reveals that there are quite a few that people have this in their build pile, I wonder if they might be interested in a better depiction of the interstage 4:1 shroud. I haven't seen a kit yet that's really gotten it right (tho I doubt I've seen all kits). The real shroud is fabricated from four pieces of flat sheet metal, each 1/4 of the shroud, joined by four triangular pieces of sheet metal that have a single vertical bend. It wouldn't be hard to work it up, and I don't think it would be difficult to integrate it into this kit. Gonna give it a think.

Really neet build, build video, and flight. I've only ever seen one other in the flesh and it wasn't nearly as nice as yours. I can see it's a difficult build.

Just a couple of nits on terminology that take nothing from your build:
  • 'directional fins' are elevons.
  • 'directional fin guides' are actually elevon locks; they prevent motion of the elevons prior to staging.
  • 'directional fin actuators' are actually dynamic dampers; the damper is on the elevon and the part on the main fin is just an aerodynamic shroud for the damper - they are separate unconnected pieces, though the gap between them is small. The actuators are in the rocket body at the elevon root forward edge.
Since this thread reveals that there are quite a few that people have this in their build pile, I wonder if they might be interested in a better depiction of the interstage 4:1 shroud. I haven't seen a kit yet that's really gotten it right (tho I doubt I've seen all kits). The real shroud is fabricated from four pieces of flat sheet metal, each 1/4 of the shroud, joined by four triangular pieces of sheet metal that have a single vertical bend. It wouldn't be hard to work it up, and I don't think it would be difficult to integrate it into this kit. Gonna give it a think.
The 4:1 shroud is easier to make than people think, simply create a regular conical shroud template where the narrow opening is the same as the upper diameter of the transition, and the lower "diameter" is equal to the perimeter measurement around all 4 boosters plus a bit to allow it to slightly wrap into the area between the boosters. That how I did it on my 5' tall Nike Hercules. I describe the process in better detail in post 18 of my Nike Hercules 2 stager thread.. https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/nike-hercules-two-stage-by-rharshberger.144093/

Back