The Launch Pad Nike Ajax

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Flies on 3 D12-5s…recovers on 3 Mylar chutes!

Grant_Edwards

Reaction score
Very cool. I golf across the road from an old Nike launch site (Nike MS-70) and have always wanted a model Nike. IIRC, it was a Nike Hercules site, so someday I should build one of those. I see that Apogee has plans for one that flies on a cluster of 4x13mm motors and could be staged with a 24mm sustainer. Maybe after I get my Saturn-1B built...

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool. I golf across the road from an old Nike launch site (Nike MS-70) and have always wanted a model Nike. IIRC, it was a Nike Hercules site, so someday I should build one of those.
I went on a bike ride with Scouts Troop to Sandy Hook, NJ, stumbled onto a local Nike Missile Site NY-56.

1634869621743.png
1634869645748.png

Now I know exactly where to go if I need the exact measurements ;-)
You can see for yourself here:

BTW, I also have a pair of TLP Nike kits (Nike-Ajax and Nike-Herc) in the "build pile".
If anyone is interested, I can scan the build instructions and parts, turn it into a thread, and we can all build as many copies as desired.

a

Last edited:

TigerHawk

Reliving the good ole days
Reaction score

rklapp

NAR# 109557
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I went on a bike ride with Scouts Troop to Sandy Hook, NJ, stumbled onto a local Nike Nike Missile Site NY-56.

View attachment 486725 View attachment 486726

Now I know exactly where to go if I need the exact measurements ;-)
You can see for yourself here:

BTW, I also have a pair of TLP Nike kits (Nike-Ajax and Nike-Herc) in the "build pile".
If anyone is interested, I can scan the build instructions and parts, turn it into a thread, and we can all build as many copies as desired.

a
Can someone borrow it? Doesn't look like they're using it at the moment...

Grant_Edwards

Reaction score
I went on a bike ride with Scouts Troop to Sandy Hook, NJ, stumbled onto a local Nike Missile Site NY-56.
I wish they had preserved one of the sites around here (Minneapolis). There's no trace of most of them. The one I mentioned across the road from the golf course was bought by a developer just before the crash of 2008. He removed all of the buildings, and there's nothing left except the pavement and the launch doors:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9517228,-93.7801189,447m/data=!3m1!1e3

The radar/control site is a mile-and-half to the southeast on Nike Road. I think this is what's left of it (it used to be marked on Google Maps, but the marker is gone).

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9354612,-93.7568867,258m/data=!3m1!1e3

One of the nearby towns (St. Bonifacius) does have a decommissioned missile on display in Missile Park:

NikeHerc.jpg

Grant_Edwards

Reaction score
Perfect flights on both models!!
That's reassuring. I might have to reconsider the Hercules. Reviews mentioned problems with chute deployment and with the motor retainer.

Latest posts