The launch pad gone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PNC-80BB with witches hats or PNC-80K are hard to come by...Balsa Machining has both plastic and balsa versions iirc, sans witches hats of course. Did LP use any special nose cones? I thought all their kits used standard nosecones and modded them from there.

This is exactly correct (in case kuririn was not clear enough). Nothing special about their nose cones, with one possible exception. The Matra Magic has a rounded nose cone, sort of like half a tennis ball.

This is exactly correct (in case kuririn was not clear enough). Nothing special about their nose cones, with one possible exception. The Matra Magic has a rounded nose cone, sort of like half a tennis ball.

And the 4” Pershing 1A. No nosecone at all in the kitbag that I see. Maybe someday I’ll open it up. Or offer it to yous guys for extra scratch...😉

And the 4” Pershing 1A. No nosecone at all in the kitbag that I see. Maybe someday I’ll open it up. Or offer it to yous guys for extra scratch...😉
Should have a standard BT 60 balsa nose cone and two paper shrouds make up the rest. Finishing those shrouds to look good takes some patience.

Still, the Pershing (and I think the SCUD) cones are formed from paper transitions, so no special parts. Generally, if you have the plans and dimensions, you can build these rockets.

Edit: Was not aware of the balsa cone (thanks Daddy), but that is still readily available.

If you ever do open that Pershing (or anyone and any TLP kits), I know many who would be appreciative if you would scan the plans, dimensions and all the templates, posting them online for all to enjoy. I would greatly like to see TLP come back to life but that is becoming increasingly less likely as time passes. I have built 13 of their kits and would build more if available for a reasonable cost. I had considered looking at acquiring the company myself, but I am on a fixed income so the expense would not be something I can do.

1614622832648.png
Should have a standard BT 60 balsa nose cone and two paper shrouds make up the rest. Finishing those shrouds to look good takes some patience.
Pic from another thread I just posted the other day to.
BNC-60 nose cone and stuffer tube, 3 nesting cardstock shroud segments.
Same size as the just released Boyce Pershing, but much lighter.
Standard conical balsa nose cone.

Always had a hankering for that ~48" TLP Nike Hercules. Uncle Mike's still shows they have that particular plans pack.
The kit is a single stage 29mm motor mount.
The plan pack is a two stager.
Very different, but the fin and shroud templates are probably the same.

He actually did get a new mold made for BT-80 ogive nose cones. Chuck claimed it was similar to the one that used to come in the Estes Phoenix. So toward the end, even the 'witches hats' were on the way out.

He also told me the plan pack for the Hercules was very different than the kit, with the kit being far more refined and more accurate. The plan pack was more of a 'semi scale'. But as mentioned, the kit was single stage and the plan pack was two stage.

-Hans

The kit is a single stage 29mm motor mount.
The plan pack is a two stager.
Very different, but the fin and shroud templates are probably the same.

Was aware of that. I expect that the model from the plan pack could be modded to be a single stage 29mm if someone wanted to go that route.

He actually did get a new mold made for BT-80 ogive nose cones. Chuck claimed it was similar to the one that used to come in the Estes Phoenix. So toward the end, even the 'witches hats' were on the way out.

He also told me the plan pack for the Hercules was very different than the kit, with the kit being far more refined and more accurate. The plan pack was more of a 'semi scale'. But as mentioned, the kit was single stage and the plan pack was two stage.

-Hans

I believe I have one of these nosecones on my (heavily embellished) TLP Krypton...it is a nice NC as I recall. It was for sale as a separate item late in TLP's existence.

1614630744795.png

Still, the Pershing (and I think the SCUD) cones are formed from paper transitions, so no special parts. Generally, if you have the plans and dimensions, you can build these rockets.

Edit: Was not aware of the balsa cone (thanks Daddy), but that is still readily available.

If you ever do open that Pershing (or anyone and any TLP kits), I know many who would be appreciative if you would scan the plans, dimensions and all the templates, posting them online for all to enjoy. I would greatly like to see TLP come back to life but that is becoming increasingly less likely as time passes. I have built 13 of their kits and would build more if available for a reasonable cost. I had considered looking at acquiring the company myself, but I am on a fixed income so the expense would not be something I can do.
Uncle Mike’s has a fairly large assortment of TLP plan packs available - $12 USD.

Uncle Mike’s has a fairly large assortment of TLP plan packs available - $12 USD.

Yes, thanks. I have picked up a couple already and will get to them after I work through the ones in my build pile.

Pershing data . . . Note there was also a version with an Ogive Nose Cone.

Dave F.

DIMENSIONED DRAWING.JPG

Early_test_of_P1_and_ground_equipment - LARGE.jpg

pc0469 - 8 X 10.jpg

pershing_01 - LARGE.jpg

pershing_105_25feb60_01.jpg

pershing_105_25feb60_03.jpg

pershing_108_9jun60_01 - LARGE.jpg

Last edited:
See, now that just does not look right. Probably why TLP never modeled that one. Of course, it would be easier to build...

Great photos Dave. Thanks.

Hi, I've been away for a bunch of years, but back and was wondering if anyone had the Flail kit. I started it, but misplaced the cardstock templates for the middle diamond fins (who'd guess I would lose some flat cards among my rocket like? Lol

On a separate note, I used to love collecting these, so I have a bunch of the kits including both Nikes; however they're buried somewhere and it'll take me time to find.

Also recently working on fixing a pranged Saab and making the witch hat (which I oddly love despite the amount of work).IMG_20210301_231756271.jpg

As I understand it, several have looked into the purchase of the TLP inventory of kits and machinery.
All has to be removed from the premises immediately after purchase.
The problem is how low the owner won't go for the sale, as I understand it.
This information comes from 2 separate individuals that have made the venture to purchase.
I will take guess it will sit until the owner passes away, and the family will auction it all off...piece meal.
And that would be a horrible same of a forever ending of TLP line!
Unless for some reason the acceptable offer agreed upon before hand.

Because I love missiles so much this was my favorite rocket company for years. Very much regret not getting more of their kits when they were available. I promise if someone buys the company and gets it rolling again, I will buy one of each. And 4 or 5 Sidewinders. 😁

Andrew

I miss the TLP haters at the club. Always bashing on the quality of components like the Swamp Mud nose weight and squishy balsa. Miss the hugely modified and bullet proofed kits the "Yes I am a high powered rocket scientist" guys would fly, not putting in more stinking nose weight but adding a kick butt motor. The crashes were spectacular along with the post flight rants about TLP. Those were the good ole days. Yeah, I'll buy those crappie kits off you for next to nothing, such junk no one would want. The 50% off sales, cheap on eBay. Still fly a lot of TLP and always a hit at the launch. Love to roll super strong and pointy witches hats. Man that Krypton can float. Pull it out of the lake and fly it again. So many fond TLP memories!

I know someone who looked at purchasing the company. Factoring in the purchase price for the inventory, kit instructions, etc., and adding overhead to set up new production and some profit for each kit, it was decided that it would never be a profitable venture. The asking price was too high to make it work. The people running TLP put a lot of time and effort into creating those kits and wanted to recoup that effort when they sold the business. But that apparently pushed the asking price out of the profitability zone.

I doubt TLP was ever a profitable venture. Rocket companies rarely are. It was always a part time business and inventory has always been spotty. However, Chuck has a ton of intellectual property amassed that he created over a lot of years. I can understand why he wants to be compensated for that. Still, the only way it would make sense to pay for all that is for a larger company that can absorb the cost to buy it and work it over the long haul. Not likely. More likely is for someone to recreate the line, at least in part, using his kits and plan packs from over the years and simply turning his work into theirs. Sad really. He would be better to sell for less and at least reap some reward for his work.

I doubt TLP was ever a profitable venture. Rocket companies rarely are. It was always a part time business and inventory has always been spotty. However, Chuck has a ton of intellectual property amassed that he created over a lot of years. I can understand why he wants to be compensated for that. Still, the only way it would make sense to pay for all that is for a larger company that can absorb the cost to buy it and work it over the long haul. Not likely. More likely is for someone to recreate the line, at least in part, using his kits and plan packs from over the years and simply turning his work into theirs. Sad really. He would be better to sell for less and at least reap some reward for his work.

According to the internet, Charles "Chuck" Barndt is 68 years old and lives in a very rural part of Central South Florida
( Okeechobee, FL is very small - Population = 5,274, in 2019 ).

Dave F.

Hello all - New here

I saw you were talking Pershing nose cone. I started to update and refurbish my Max brut kit from my childhood days. I ordered a 3d printed nosecone from Boyce and it is awesome. You can order the kit or what ever parts you want. The update fins are great too!

Hello all - New here

I saw you were talking Pershing nose cone. I started to update and refurbish my Max brut kit from my childhood days. I ordered a 3d printed nosecone from Boyce and it is awesome. You can order the kit or what ever parts you want. The update fins are great too!

I might get a Pershing one day but the TLP model I was interested in personnally is the Sidewinder. TLP seems to be the only company that had one. HINT HINT to every other maker: SIDE uhummm WINDER. Thanks for bearing with me.

Estes used to make a really nice Sidewinder kit too...

Hear that Estes? Hmm? And bonus points if it's the same scale as my 2.1" PML AMRAAM. Jet missiles should all be available at a same scale (or close enough if staying with standard size tubes).

Hear that Estes? Hmm? And bonus points if it's the same scale as my 2.1" PML AMRAAM. Jet missiles should all be available at a same scale (or close enough if staying with standard size tubes).
Easily cloned.
BT-55 tube diameter. Plans are at YORP. Nose cone and coupler are at Sirius Rocketry Moldin' Oldies section. Body tube sizes and lengths can be found in John Brohm's Estes body tube reference list.

Back