the LAUNCH CANADA challenge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a l-o-o-o-n-g talk with Adam a few months ago. He is quite passionate about rocketry (the real stuff, not the "toys" we play with) and is an avid liquid fuel motor collector.

The contest has morphed into a pretty sophisticated set of events & technical criteria. This isn't a simple "design a rocket, launch with X motor, and achieve [event] with a payload" task, but involves the propulsion system. This is proper "rocket science": payloads, mach+ speeds, liquid fuel, etc.. The idea is to keep our top-tier graduates here in Canada!!

their Facebook page is a better / more up-to-date place to start. they have 20 teams signed up.

I have not yet signed up to be a mentor, as after the conversation I had with Adam, I feel like I'm an 8yr old with an Estes Goblin talking to NASA people!! [severely under-knowledgeable]

an excerpt from the e-mail I received from Adam:

The big challenge - and reason why Launch Canada exists - is there has been a massive surge of interest in rocketry in Canada over the last several years, particularly among students, but few opportunities to run with it here. The Spaceport America Cup, and its predecessor the IREC, is largely why they exist: it was the first time Canadian students with an interest in advanced rocketry had an obvious path to pursue it. One of the real strengths of that competition has been its flexibility. It allows 10 000 foot flights with off-the-shelf solid motors which provides a reasonable "entry level" for new teams, but it also accommodates higher altitudes, and student-build solids, hybrids and liquids, for the more ambitious teams. And the Canadians have consistently been dominating at that competition: at the Cup two years ago, the Canadian schools made up about 10% of the teams but won 75% of the awards, including first overall.
At this point, at least half of the Canadian teams have progressed into advanced hybrid and liquid projects, or are starting to, and targeting altitudes of 50 000 feet or greater. Unfortunately for those teams, they've had no outlet to be able to fly in Canada. While Tripoli allows EX solids and hybrids at some of their launches, CAR does not and hasn't shown much interest in changing that. And none of the HPR organizations allow liquids, nor do they generally have the expertise to be able to approach such projects safely.

But the rise of student rocketry has been accompanying another new trend in Canada, with a newfound openness to the idea of Canadian orbital launch capabilities. Apart from the Maritime Launch Services spaceport, there are now several Canadian launch vehicle startups, and every one of them exists because of student rocket teams: they are either founded by former rocket team members, or else hire almost exclusively from among rocketry students, or both. So while they are fun projects for the students, in many cases they're actually a springboard for much bigger things. Increasingly, student rocketry is covering a very wide spectrum from HPR to professional aerospace.

It was the "higher end" of that spectrum that particularly motivated the creation of Launch Canada: there are options for people to pursue "typical" HPR in Canada (though not as much as we might like), but there's nothing for those pushing the upper limits with hybrids or liquids. Of course, the difficulty is that while CAR and its affiliates have often been able to support student HPR launches with off-the-shelf motors, student-built hybrids and (especially) liquids have been another story. That's where the big challenge has been.

Thanks for the update!

Yes, this is certainly in the realm of "experimental rocketry". The UVic team is definitely advanced far beyond what I could help them with. I am hoping to assist them with community/school outreach, thinking we could leverage the hobby rockets to inspire students to then move into engineering/experimental rocketry with a university group. I suggest that other model rocket (both low and high power) do the same - connect with your nearest University rocket group and offer them help - not with the engineering behind liquid propulsion, but with outreach to youth who will soon be engineering students.

There is certainly a lot of passion, interest and motivation with the Launch Canada initiative. The challenge though comes with organization, planning and implementation. As we all well know, putting together a safe launch area, team, facilities and logistics is not trivial, even for low power contests. It's one thing to come up with the ideas, and another thing to put it into reality. It takes a lot of people - I just don't see that here.

The idea behind Launch Canada is a good one. We'll just have to see if there is the ability to put it together, and turn the ideas into reality.

There are 15 Canadian university teams currently registered for the 2021 Spaceport America Cup. (over 200 teams from all over the world) I doubt that many of these university teams have the financial resources to do two major events in one year. What are they going to choose? A known quantity of SA cup, with the ability to mix with like-minded students from around the world, or a local event for Canadian only teams in an unknown location with unknown facilities?

About facilities/launch area - I would have to think that any launch at CFB Cold Lake would be out of the question, unless someone has some serious pull with the Canadian Armed Forces. Cold Lake is the site of the CF-18 Hornets (401 and 409), and anyone on base would, I think, need security clearance. This would take somewhere between 4 and 6 months for each competitor to obtain. And it would not be offered to any international students (engineering programs have quite a few of these)

Anyone know where this event will take place? I scanned the website and did not see any mention of venues. Thanks.

Anyone know where this event will take place? I scanned the website and did not see any mention of venues. Thanks.
Greg they are still looking for a site. They has one, but lost it.

The reason they are having site issues is that the contepetition has morphed into a pretty advanced engineering event, complete with student designed "wet" propulsion.. (yeah, LOX & such!!)

So, TC is being a bit of a pain, but nothing like this has been done in Canada..

Do you know what site they lost? I hope they get a venue that's not too remote as this event is something I would like to see in person.

Do you know what site they lost? I hope they get a venue that's not too remote as this event is something I would like to see in person.

Greg, they had a spot on the base at Cold lake AB.. but are looking around.

to quote Adam:

- - - - - - -
In the absence of a Transport Canada approval process for amateur liquid rockets, we had originally been working with the Air Force to host the competition at a base in the prairies (CFB Cold Lake was the RCAF's preference). We were very close to getting approval for a small-scale "proof of concept" launch there, and Dave Buhler and the Calgary club had offered to loan us their rails and some of their other equipment. Unfortunately the Air Force ran into legal issues that ultimately meant they weren't able to support the launch at Cold Lake.

Since then, CFB Suffield has been a lot more supportive, and they actually have hosted student hybrid launches at the base in the past. So I've been working with them to try and get the competition hosted there. With a restricted airspace corridor that extends all the way to space, it's the ideal site for advanced rocket launches, without question.

In parallel, I've had a lot of interest from the Manitoba government in hosting this, and they have been looking into options there.

Dave had also been looking into the possibility of convincing the owner of the CRA's site to allow "experimental" launches there, but hadn't gotten much traction. Then of course, Covid hit and a lot of things went into hibernation for a while.

So the hunt for a site is ongoing, but there are a few promising options. And Transport Canada is working with me to allow civilian launches with experimental propulsion, which will be a big breakthrough for us crazy propulsion proponents!
- - - - - - -

Note: CFB Suffield is in Alberta, just NW of Medicine Hat..

Yup launch sites are our Achilles. Our existing sites are bound to insurance which is bound to our operating procedures which are simply following ours (CAR/NAR/TRA) and TC's rules. Venturing past that is new territory (no defined rules) which is what TC is struggling with, we have no expertise TC can use to validate safety for liquids and even one-oft hybrid builds. TC is there to keep people safe.

The biggest reason we have sites here is Canada is at the graciousness of the Landowner. Getting over the fence and convincing a landowner is a challenge, there is really nothing in it for them. When I hear stories (not rocketry related) of folks getting access to private land for an event then some IDIOT suing the land owner because he fell down just adds more nails to the coffin for adding new sites. You have to know someone who is willing to take a risk on you not an organization, very challenging when most of us live in cities.

University students are participating at our launches, in Quebec, NB and Alberta. There are a few dedicated soles helping these teams. Our launches are not frequent enough, weather patterns are starting to kill quite a few launches, civic bylaws are moving to limit activities they see no value in. yes downer note...

The Calgary team called SOAR uses the Suffield site but they (the base) have added their own expectations on the team, triple redundancy and not like redundancy so they are learning to adapt to external expectations. Back in the 90's we were using Suffield for launches and it was very very nice, hopefully we can get back there with these other initiatives going on.

It is sad that we could not get Cold lake going, mind you it was still 6-8 hour drives to get to cold lake more with having to head to Lethbridge for the equipment than up to Cold lake Suffield is MUCH closer, for us in Alberta at least.

dB

It is a long way to travel (Mojave Desert-Southern California), but the FAR site offers test stands and launch pads from 10 to 60' tall and we allow any type propellant: solid, liquid bi-prop, and hybrids and only charge $10 a person and have standing FAA waiver to 50,000' with higher by request to FAA. The highest granted so far is 175,000'

www.friendsofamateurrocketry.org

and we launch twice a month (1st and 3rd Saturdays)

edit: I just looked back and see that I've mentioned this 'a few times' ;)

Well, another year has passed, and nothing much happening... I see that someone with Canada Launch Challenge tested a liquid rocket motor back in October.

Meanwhile, Spaceport America Cup 2022 has 13 Canadian University teams among the 150 or so from around the world. Probably around 1700 competitors.

Hey Hutch
The Launch Canada Web page is sorely needing an update and gives the indication that nothing is happening. But that is not true, actually there are a lot of very exciting things happening that really need to be added to their page.

https://spaceq.ca/launch-canada-sets-dates-for-first-rocket-innovation-challenge/
Winter/Spring saw 23 university teams participate in the Launch Canada preliminary project presentations for the Launch Canada Challenge, a mix of 10K' basic, 30K' advanced and a technical category. The teams have presented, been judged, and provided constructive feedback for betterment of the projects. Launch Canada is in the process of securing a launch site in Cochrane, Ontario for the challenge and has dates of ~August 1-6 (or so). This is coupled with a Stardust festival. https://www.ngometa.com/CA/Cochrane/111617324679674/Stardust-Alliance

Space Concordia is looking to do a space shot from Churchill this summer/fall (this one presented at LC but was not judged) Well beyond most of us. Very smart folks running this one.
Space Concordia - Home

So yes LC needs an updated news page at least. I think a few lurkers here on TRF have been working with Launch Canada behind the scenes, including me.
David

Last edited:
Thanks for the update!
I'm glad to hear that something is actually happening.
I need to connect again with my local team (UVictoria) to see what they're up to. Meetings have all been via zoom lately and I'm zoomed out.
I hope they get the launch site, and Aug 1- 6 work out.
Keep us posted!

Hey All

Launch Canada is looking for volunteers for their first competition launch August ~1-3 this summer in Cochrane, ON. There are a number of positions available for this two, maybe three-day, event. See below for more a note from Adam Trumpour along with the link to the signup sheet and roles you are interested in filling.

From Adam Trumpour President of Launch Canada

Hi all,

A big thanks to everyone who stepped up to take on a lead role in the planning of Launch Canada's 2022 event! This is going to be a major event and it'll take a real team effort to make it the success we know it can be, but you all represent a real dream team!

There's lots to be done, so to help us in planning, I'd like to ask all volunteers who aren't leads to please complete our quick Volunteer Signup Form before the end of this week to let us know what areas you're interested in helping with, and what skills or expertise you bring.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...V6pQZiTyDcJ0PTiaPQnnmn0A/viewform?usp=sf_link

Also, if you know anyone who might be interested in helping out who isn't currently involved, please forward this to them and encourage them to send me an email to introduce themselves!

For additional reference, here's the recording of our first volunteers' meeting for anyone who wasn't able to make it or wants to refresh their memory.

Last but not least, I'd like to introduce our leads:

Conference Director: Zak Harrison
Deputy Conference Director: Hannah Halcro

Launch Operations Director: Dave LeFrancois
Deputy Launch Operations Director: Chris Hobbs

Safety Director: David Buhler
Deputy Safety Director: Dan Steinhaur

Directors of Competition & Judging: Robert Bernard, Karina Sapelnikova

Logistics Director: Balin Moher
Deputy Logistics Director: Matthew Ho

Communications Director: Marc-Andre Chartrand
Deputy Communications Director: Grecia O'Brien

Sponsorship: Ariyanna Kresnyak

Thanks again, and as always, reach out any time!
Adam

dB

@Crayok - Is the Launch Canada Challenge open to public spectators? I would make the 1000km drive in August to Cochrane ONT to watch this event. It would be followed by a trip to one of the active Southern Ontario rocketry clubs for HP level certifications. Are there any events happening out west this year? Let me know, Thanks.

Is the Launch Canada Challenge open to public spectators?
Hey Rocket Tree. I don't know that specifically. This is being coupled with a festival so I imagine it will be open to the public. Will have to ask. You could always volunteer...
In some preliminary planning the pads may not be visible from the spectator area due to trees. There is a group working on the site logistics so we will see. The site is about 1 hour north of Cochrane.
dB

Hey Rocket Tree Most likely there will be no spectators, there may be live streaming to the event center in Cochrane from the launch site.

dB
Thanks for the update, much appreciated. I will most likely plan a trip out west now instead.

Has anyone looked into availability of accommodations in the Cochrane area during the dates for this event? If you volunteer are you sleeping on site in a tent?

Has anyone looked into availability of accommodations in the Cochrane area during the dates for this event? If you volunteer are you sleeping on site in a tent?
I am. but I like camping.. (There is a proper campsite down the road from the launch location - and the "parking lot" at the launch location is also large enough to serve as a camp ground

We did raise the issue at the last meeting. there is a Best western apparently.. and a few air-BnBs available..

IMO This event should also have an open division, which could attract more participants and spectators.

How was the experience? How many launches were there? Thanks
How was the experience?
for me, different.. it was 3 days of rocketry student competition. a lot of standing around for some of us.. and some venturing deep into the Boreal forest of Northern Ontario.. I can firmly say that mosquitos no longer bother me.. (Nor do I even notice them anymore! :D )

12 competitors, 9 passed to final, 8 actually flew. (UTAT to 27-something kilo feet, Mach 2 . something.. fell back to earth in 2 parts.. Only "hybrid" to get up.)

Will you do it again if they have another event next year?
you are not the first to ask this..

overall yes.

But there were 3 big 'cons' to the event that would dissuade me next time..
  1. The travel time. for me, it was a 9 hr drive.
  2. Sleeping on site. I camped at the launch tower. so I was alone in the middle of no-where each night.
  3. Recovery. we were in the middle of a somewhat cleared logging site. Anything outside our immediate launch area was in the woods.. deep in Northern Ontario's' Boreal forest..

1 - generally not an issue with me, but I am getting older!
2 - next time, I'm getting a hotel room! camping was fun. But again, not as young as I once was.. (and no amenities, except for what you bring..)
3 - this one is hard to fix. it is nature, and is what it is..

It's really too bad that the organizers of this are not doing anything to encourage rocketry at the school level. The Team America Rocketry Challenge (TARC) in the US has been very successful. I've been told though that Canada is not involved, primarily because we cannot get any sponsorship at the federal level from anyone at all... there has been no interest from industry or government. Without this sponsorship, we cannot participate, and Canadian schools are left out.

Recently, someone seeked information on the CQF (qc club)`s mailing list. He's from an aviation cadet corps in the Mtl area. They are looking to budget all materials to build and launch for (5/10/15?) junior certifications in 2023. I don't know where the funds come for this (parents? defense?)

True we don't have solid funding like TARC in the US, and I too wish there was a better systematic entry into schools to teach rocketry & STEM. This initiative above *might* be something really interesting to make that happen in a parallel world.

I've been looking to mentor interested young ones into low/mid/high power rocketry. Now this is not in my region and someone else volunteered. If this happens to be successful in anyway, I wish it will be shared and could spread to other corps of cadet. It might be the next best things to schools, and I believe any opportunities should be explored to make this happen and spread the fever of the hobby.

Anyone with interesting mentoring story to share?

Cheers,

Recently, someone seeked information on the CQF (qc club)`s mailing list. He's from an aviation cadet corps in the Mtl area. They are looking to budget all materials to build and launch for (5/10/15?) junior certifications in 2023. I don't know where the funds come for this (parents? defense?)

True we don't have solid funding like TARC in the US, and I too wish there was a better systematic entry into schools to teach rocketry & STEM. This initiative above *might* be something really interesting to make that happen in a parallel world.

I've been looking to mentor interested young ones into low/mid/high power rocketry. Now this is not in my region and someone else volunteered. If this happens to be successful in anyway, I wish it will be shared and could spread to other corps of cadet. It might be the next best things to schools, and I believe any opportunities should be explored to make this happen and spread the fever of the hobby.

Anyone with interesting mentoring story to share?

Cheers,

I've been mentoring student teams for the past 15 years and before I retired from teaching, I had an afterschool rocketry program for another 20 years. These 35 years of helping students include TARC, NASA USLI, ESRA IREC, FAR 1030, and other student teams from middle school to university level students.

I've had many years when I've had several teams at the same time because of the shortage of mentor volunteers and advisors. Rocketry is a learning experience students can learn many things from to help them in their future lives even if they aren't planning on being 'rocket scientists'.

Funding is often a problem when people don't think out of the rocketry box. I've built 4" minimum diameter rockets that have flown Mach 1.5+ on an L-1150 motor for under $25 using repurposed cardboard tubes and Elmer's School Glue, no epoxy or fiberglass and that included electronics for deployment and the propellant reload (something hard to do in Canada). Something that many would be spending $500-1,000 doing. I look at it this way, I could spend a lot on my own rocket or I can help students learn and the rocket they fly is in a sense, mine as well.

I look at it this way, I could spend a lot on my own rocket or I can help students learn and the rocket they fly is in a sense, mine as well.
That's an awesome lot of dedication, and generous time/experience/creativity given by you to all these students.

It's very inspiring to hear such testimony and witness that it can be achieved here in Canada too, without lots of means. My hats of to you, Sir!

P.S.: I'll be sure to check those other programs you mentioned.

Just wanted to mention this competition happened again this year. I believe all teams flying COTS solid motors flew, with most recovering. 1 out of 4 hybrid teams flew. It was McGill’s first time launching a hybrid after 2 previous attempts at Spaceport America Cup. Both UofC and UofT successfully filled their rockets and set off their igniters but failed to get nitrous to flow. UBCO began their fill but unfortunately had to abort.

Latest posts

Back