the LAUNCH CANADA challenge

Discussion in 'Canadian Rocketry' started by High Desert Rocketry, Jan 28, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Aug 3, 2019 #61

hutch

hutch

hutch

I still wish we could line up national sponsorship for a TARC team in Canada. I'd be happy to help local high school kids compete, but as it stands, we can't do anything without national sponsorship.

2. Nov 8, 2019 #62

High Desert Rocketry

High Desert Rocketry

High Desert Rocketry

Crayok likes this.
  3. Nov 8, 2019 #63

dr wogz

dr wogz

dr wogz

Fly caster

David, did any results or anything ever get posted?

I ask, because we all had a say in this thread,and there was a statement that they were launching at Cold lake in August. Yet the original 'launch Canada' website is still the same old-same old..

(If something did happen, maybe the site needs to be updated. Keeping things secret doesn't help build or grow something!!)

High Desert Rocketry likes this.
  4. Nov 8, 2019 #64

High Desert Rocketry

High Desert Rocketry

High Desert Rocketry

Just for clarification.
    This is not a 'competition' like IREC or BASE 11; it is a team challenge for universities to design, build, and launch successful liquid rocket projects. When they have finished their project, they come to FAR and launch when ready. If they meet the challenge requirements and reach say 23,000' they get $23,000. If they only reach 4,000' they get $4,000. No trophy, no first place, nothing like that. So they are rewarded for what they design for and accomplish. If one team shows up say this month and another next month or next March that is fine. We do require a two week notice:
    https://friendsofamateurrocketry.org/launch-request/

The registration/launch fee is simply $10 a person per day on site. That includes use of the machine shop, restrooms, camping, etc. In most cases, we provide the launch pad (up to 60’ tall) unless a team desires to build and bring their own.
    FAR mission statement: "Our mission is to educate the general public in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) through the use of amateur rocketry; and to foster rocket technology by supporting individuals, hobbyists, student groups, businesses, and other like minded non-profit entities."

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  5. Nov 8, 2019 #65

Crayok

Crayok

Crayok

Hi Paul Nope the August date was cancelled and a new Nov 1 date was added but unfortunately that was also not achievable. Getting things approved via the military seems to be the hold up. Let the Launch Canada folks know things are out-of-date.

David

6. Nov 8, 2019 #66

High Desert Rocketry

High Desert Rocketry

High Desert Rocketry

Being down here in California I don't hear much about way up north. Has any thing happened since I posted this thread about LC ? To cut expenses, the FAR 'DPF' challenge might be an option for Canadian teams doing liquid rockets.

7. Nov 8, 2019 #67

dr wogz

dr wogz

dr wogz

Fly caster

If it's any consolation, the Ottawa rocketry group (ORG) launches on a military base (grenade range). They've lost their field by the looks of it.. (talks to renew their "privilege" is still ongoing for the 2019 season..)

David, not to be rude, but it should be up to them to update & maintain their site. I shouldn't' have to send them a reminder.. It's just another impression that they aren't interested or have interest..

8. Nov 13, 2019 #68

hutch

hutch

hutch

I too am wondering if anything at all happened. I am guessing "no".

9. Nov 13, 2019 #69

dr wogz

dr wogz

dr wogz

Fly caster

Haha! just thinking about this.

I did just cruise they their website. No updates, as they still talk about "upcoming".

They also don't really have a "contact us" button or link, except for a "help make this happen" form.

if I recall, I did enter my name into the "keep me informed" box with my e-mail, but have not received any updates or anything. I have even gone as far as to put my name in for mentoring. Again, no contact. SO, again, a pretty website, an ambitious plan, but little follow-thru. Hard to take this seriously..

10. Nov 13, 2019 #70

Dipstick

Dipstick

Dipstick

From what I understand, they misunderestimated a lot of the work required, beginning with TC. If they ran into the same problem with the military for the Cold Lake site, then ya, nothing happening yet...

Still a cool idea, but a lot of work to make it happen and I certainly don't know what's all been done so far or where it's held up.