the LAUNCH CANADA challenge

Discussion in 'Canadian Rocketry' started by High Desert Rocketry, Jan 28, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Feb 10, 2019 #31

midpower_madness

midpower_madness

midpower_madness

2. Feb 10, 2019 #32

dr wogz

dr wogz

dr wogz

Fly caster

Mr. Madness, go reply in my other thread: Feeling kinda stupid. (and I'll ask you the same question I asked Tyler..)
    https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/i’m-feeling-kinda-stupid.150769/

CAR is but one entity in Canada. TRA is also available in Canada, for clubs. The rules are slightly different between CAR & TRA..

3. Feb 10, 2019 #33

Crayok

Crayok

Crayok

dB

What is complex about flying in Canada? All organization fly pretty much under the same conditions here or elsewhere. Organizations are required to have authorization to use the airspace, transportation of motors are regulated, all organizations have certification programs, range safety programs. What am I missing?

Is it the NAR and TRA advertising or is it the clubs associated with those organizations? You are right about the organization needing an appropriate framework in place for its target membership. TRA, as far as I know, does not target youth, their audience is high power. NAR has and is doing a fantastic job in both camps, primary because they were the predominant modelling organization, then ventured into HPR, while maintaining the modelling side. Perfect conditions!

Clubs find their fields, or local organizers. CAR/ACF, TRA and NAR as the parent organization do not find fields or maintain the relationship to the landowner, it is the local club or group that finds the fields and maintains that relationship. I am curious why some people expect someone else to find launch fields for them. I guess because it is really really hard to do that and then maintain that relationship. And yes I have been part of getting fields for the local club with two still in process with TC to approve them (site logistics, altitude and such).

Sorry again, what am I missing in this equation?

David

High Desert Rocketry likes this.
  4. Feb 10, 2019 #34

High Desert Rocketry

High Desert Rocketry

High Desert Rocketry

And why is that? I both advised AND mentored TARC teams here in the US. We did fundraisers at our school to raise the money for materials and motors, and biggest of all, transportation and lodging for the trip from California to Virginia...coast to coast. Since I retired from teaching, we have put on a TARC event locally for students that didn't make the TARC finals to compete in. Then we moved the event up so teams could do our 'competition' and use it as an additional launch opportunity to qualify for the TARC finals. I never received any industry or government funding to do that. Just takes individuals commited to make things happen. Do that and industry/government will often tag along.

Crayok and Steve Shannon like this.
  5. Feb 10, 2019 #35

Steve Shannon

Steve Shannon

Steve Shannon

Exactly right, Rick!

6. Feb 10, 2019 #36

High Desert Rocketry

High Desert Rocketry

High Desert Rocketry

Steve, for full disclosure, I gained a few pounds eating what the students couldn't sell during those fundraisers :)

Steve Shannon likes this.
  7. Feb 12, 2019 at 10:58 PM #37

midpower_madness

midpower_madness

midpower_madness

My apologies for the rant. I enjoy rocketry and wish to see it pushed into the mainstream as it is in the US.

Tyler P likes this.
  8. Feb 13, 2019 at 1:19 AM #38

Crayok

Crayok

Crayok

dB

Hey Midpower, I think we all have been there, wanting things to happen faster, or even for that matter, just happen. Unfortunately we all have to work within a framework designed by others, in response to silly things of folks before that. Getting rocketry more active here in Canada is something I would like to see too. And to do that we need launch sites that are close to flyers, ideally or at least reasonable close. So how do we do that, that is the question you and many others have asked directly or indirectly. From what I have seen there is no magic here, you have to know someone who is willing to take a risk to allow this activity on their land. Having some excitement go along with it such as the world focusing on rocketry and other planets and moons starts to help us down that path. and luck, lots of luck.

David

9. Feb 13, 2019 at 8:05 PM #39

hutch

hutch

hutch

A challenge we have here in Canada is that we cannot run TARC contests because we do not have industry or government sponsorship. So it is really the other way around from how you're portraying it. We can't even start a TARC team, because we have no national sponsorship (at least this is according to some senior people in the US I spoke to at NARAM - 60.)

It's hard to get things done locally, when you are essentially just a bunch of local organizations, or one single teacher. It would be great to get some sponsorship going that was similar to the "Launch Canada Challenge", but is targetted at kids and especially at science and shop teachers who can influence their kids. The "Launch Canada Challenge" seems to be a great idea for university teams, to help them get access to launch sites for amateur rocketry.

But for MODEL rockets, A - G power, and even High power - we have a lack of help for groups who want to grow the hobby at that level.

midpower_madness likes this.
  10. Feb 13, 2019 at 8:50 PM #40

Dipstick

Dipstick

Dipstick

I concur, there are actually a lot of us teachers doing programs, scout leaders doing others, and so on. What I'm noticing is while kids think it's cool as a class or project, the uptake after that for a hobby they stick with is slight to none. Not sure how to change that, if you're not interested, you're just not...

But, if all the scout groups and cadet groups and classes in my region had a combined launch...now that could be cool. It could make for some good regional flyoffs/competitions for the fun of it, or better yet, for prizes like with TARC.

Maybe I'll work on it :)

11. Feb 13, 2019 at 9:08 PM #41

dr wogz

dr wogz

dr wogz

Fly caster

there is also the father or mother who doesn't see the importance or the merits of it.. so the kid isn't supported in his 'desire' to pursue it.

Also, the perceived "complexity' of it..

From my experience, teachers don't know about it, don't have the funding, or just don't have the time to dig into & develop it. A local library apparently gets requests all the time for "rocketry". I'm willing to do it. I told them what I need, what I expect, and the cost. "No, it needs to be something they can build & fly in a few hours" meaning one session of about 2 hours..

The teachers all thought it neat, and some even took my name & such when I gave a 'let's talk rocket science' blurb at a local school board "space day" event. never heard from them..