The latest Estes kit from Wal-Mart

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donaldsrockets

Reaction score
In a previous thread, I mentioned that I had seen a new Estes kit called the Ricochet at Wal-Mart.

Well, earlier today I picked one up at a modest $9.96

With that said, let's take a closer look at it.;)

Here's the kit box it came packaged in. I kind of like these boxes myself.

Ricochet Box.JPG

And here's the kit components. Yes, that transition and NC are genuine balsa.;)

The decals are also waterslide. We'll find out how good they are later on.

One thing in the kit that immediately grabbed my attention is the parachute. Instead of the typical colorful Estes chute, this one is all white and an addendum included says quote

"Dear Estes Customer,

Due to new restrictions regarding the printing of plastic materials, we have had to temporarily suspend printing our colorful parachutes. This white parachute material conforms to all current government requirements and can be decorated with a design of your choice using colored markers."

I will also post a pic of the finished rocket. Seems like it will be a decent performer. It says it will fly to 225 feet on an A8-3 which is a good thing, might help me burn off some as I have accumulated quite a few over the years from the Blast Off flight packs and hardly use them anymore.:D

Last edited:
Are you sure it's priced $9.96? I thought it was a bit lower than that (at least, I think it's lower based on what others have reported).

Are you sure it's priced $9.96? I thought it was a bit lower than that (at least, I think it's lower based on what others have reported).

Yep, that's what it rang up. When I tried to scan it with one of the price scanners, it said please see an associate for help. Probably because it was so new that it wasn't put into the system yet.

That's the price that they were marked at the Wmart close to me tonight.

There were other new Estes kits that were cheaper.....

Motor three-packs were still $4.95!

That kit is the most expensive one because its the largest :p. I bought the Taser Twin and the Crossbow SST. The sustainer of the TT reminds me a lot of the Skyhook.

Dave, the Ricochet I bought at Wal-Mart was $9.96. I thought that was too much until I checked the original post on YORF from the Rocket Doctor that showed the Sustainables pricing, and $9.96 is correct for that kit.

Dave, the Ricochet I bought at Wal-Mart was $9.96. I thought that was too much until I checked the original post on YORF from the Rocket Doctor that showed the Sustainables pricing, and $9.96 is correct for that kit.

Ok, maybe I was just dreaming......:confused2:

I purchased a Ricochet over a week ago. I like the design and got it at $10, even though it is from China. Anywho, while the quality is good, the balsa parts in my kit did not fit well - on the smallish size. I have been spoiled by SEMROC, BMS, Roachwerks, and other domestic companies. I hope the Estes "Made in USA" sustainables have better tolerences.

Chas

I just picked up a Taser Twin at Walmart yesterday - but that was the only kit they had (they had four of them). I'm hoping they'll get the other three kits in, and I'll also keep checking the other WMs in nearby cities over the next week or two.

I have picked up a Star Stryker and a Taser Twin. The TT I got yesterday and I think it was $5.96! I was curious about the contents and was surprised that the cardboard box lid wasn't secured - you could open it without having to cut any tape or anything - and the contents (such as tubes, nose cone) are simply loose inside the box. That's fine with me as far as reducing packaging...as long as no one opens it before me and helps themself to anything. :)

Back