The Last Day

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Today is the last day to download Win 10 for free.
To download, or not to download. This is the question...
I bet after today MS will release a bunch of updates to fix stuff that isn't quite right.
And/Or announce that if you buy the new Win 10 you get extra features.
My son downloaded it and he likes it. But he's a 13 year old gamer.
I like the looks of it from what I seen.
My biggest problem I think I will face is I use many older programs as I can't afford to buy new ones.
Computer is more than capable to take it, custom built to my specs by Cybertron (USA built).
Just need to do a backup first if I decide to download, and cross my crooked arthritic fingers.

I have it on a laptop and I don't like it, but I hardly use the laptop. I suppose in time I can get use to it. I will delay the transition on my home PC as long as I can. I like seeing all the icons at a single glance and the ease of going reliably to what I want to do.

I guess it depends on what you have now. A lot of people like 7 better than 10, but if you have 8.1, it is a no-brainer. 10 adds back into 8.1 all the stuff they took away, like the start menu.

it does take a bit of getting used to...

I'm still getting used to the new "Microsoft ribbon" user interface.. (Let's take what people got used to over 15+ years, and make it totally different! and with pictures!!)

Does that mean I'll finally be able to take down the Win 10 notification link on the taskbar?...

I downloaded it to my laptop a while back. It comes with a 30 day option to go back. I am back to Win 7. I only have 2gb of RAM and saw a significant slow down. I think upgrading to 4gb would help.
That put me into the same boat of trying to decide if I want to get it while I can....

I installed it on my laptop months ago and it worked fine. I installed, or rather tried to install it on my wife's HP laptop a week ago and had major issues. I turned it over to my super IT friend and he can only recommend a system wipe and restore.

I did all three of my laptops (all some sort of Asus's or is that Asusi). One laptop had Win 8.1. Couldn't wait to get rid of that. I did my Asus desktop last. It was the oldest machine and has (still) some issues, but after doing all the Win 7 updates (which took a while; I thought I bricked it...), it loaded up fine and is running good.
So now I just he=ave to go in and change some of the privacy stuff, but I'm not doing anything critical on them...

Adrian

Coming down to the wire....
I have a desk top, 16 gig ram, 1 Terra HD.
The privacy thing bothers me though.
I have 8.1, just getting use to it.
Would like the old look better on the start menu!!!
Need to hop off the fence one way or the other pretty quick, or it will decide for me...

Well I jumped on the Win 10 side of the fence.
Not sure if it was the right thing to do, but I did a back up before installing so I should be able to bo back to 8.1 if needed.
So far, So good.
Haven't checked all my programs as of yet, but what I did check on works as it should.

Today is the last day to download Win 10 for free.
To download, or not to download. This is the question...
Of course not. Linux Debian is 1500 times better and faster and without money.Debian is flown into space because it is reliable. With vindows expect crash at the start.

Last edited:
the gwx app is still on your computer just inactive (MS says that they will remove it later via an update sometime after they get through with the latest round of updates for win 10) so, a manual removal would be good if you really want to be rid of it NOW.
Rex

Thank you for posting this. I was travelling home from NARAM when I saw it and realized that my laptop (which I don't use much) was still running Win 8.1 so I downloaded Win10 overnight on the hotel WiFi.

if you have no concern over your personal privacy then go ahead and download it, otherwise stay away and look for an alternative.

I know a lot of people don't favor auto-monitoring and performance enhancement add-ins, but I use System Mechanic and have found it works well. After the $39 up front, the ongong subscription is only $25 dollars per year for all PC's you own. And per your concern, SM gives you back control of hidden security settings in Win10.

All I know for sure is that I still hate computers and all of their associated B.S.
Not having to worry about Windows 10 installing itself again made me happy.

I held off a long time, because I have so many very expensive and mission-critical software packages (mechanical design, firmware tool chains, circuit design, simulators, logistics, finance, etc.), and I worried about compatibility.
But I finally migrated, and everything works fine.
On a laptop, I think Windows 10 works amazingly well, and is a 'must have.' My boot time went from minutes to seconds. That's huge to me.
If you have a laptop running an old version of Windows, do yourself a favor and buy a good solid state drive (like from Samsung), a little more RAM, and install Windows 10. It's like getting a new laptop.
The interface stuff you can get used to.

Let me make you all feel exceptionally good. I have, and still use, WIN XP SP3. :surprised:

it is a fresh, clean, install with all the WIN upgrades up until they stopped coming from MS. I maintain multiple weekly backup HD clones as a measure of data & operational protection.

While some might consider that I'm living in the dark ages, WIN XP SP3 has, and continues, to support all my software needs; and, I work very well with it - so I'm quite happy.

Let me make you all feel exceptionally good. I have, and still use, WIN XP SP3. :surprised:

it is a fresh, clean, install with all the WIN upgrades up until they stopped coming from MS. I maintain multiple weekly backup HD clones as a measure of data & operational protection.

While some might consider that I'm living in the dark ages, WIN XP SP3 has, and continues, to support all my software needs; and, I work very well with it - so I'm quite happy.

Surprised no, do I recommend it, no. I sincerely hope that you have the system locked down tight.

Of course, if they suit. I prefer 7 of the windows. Vindovs 8-8.1 is disgusting. I installed a vindovs 10 for children rather reminds me vindovs 8. I prefer as I said UNIX based systems. When you use a software for windovs simply start a virtual machine in Debian:)
A myth is that after stopping the maintenance of old systems from Microsoft are dangerous. If you have a good antivirus program you are just as protected as the new Windows. Certainly not from your special services that have introduced software in most hard drives. But I do not care - I have nothing to hide.

Just thought I'd let anyone who might care...
I've had Zero problems, every thing runs just fine.
I like the looks of things and it did seam to speed up the system...Just a touch.
2 things I do not like about it.
1) When coming out of sleep mode, you need to type in the password every darn time. For me, it's APITA.
2) They got rid of the start page, which is good, but put in in the start box with all the icons. Scrolling to find what I want takes more time.
I'm sure I'll figure a way to deal with when I take the time.
As far a security goes, there is nothing on this machine that would interest anybody.
There is no financial data of any kind, or lists of relatives or address or anything like that.
I don't have a cam to hack into, or a mic.
Unless someone wants all the rocket designs I've done in RocSim. Which I'm happy to email to anyone interested.
Have a great weekend everyone!

Back