The Kids are Alright

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Toby

Reaction score
I had to give up my beloved rocketry when I moved from Houston to NYC in 1993. As you all know, once you've been one, you never get over rocketeering.
So one day not long ago I wandered into a corner bodega for a cuppa Joe. It was kismet.
Seems the place had previously been a hobby shop and in the back were some of the old wares. This included a pegboard wall covered with dusty Estes kits, many long out of production. And engines galore, from 1/2A to D12s. I bought everything for almost nothing.
I began to build, starting with a Mini Mars Lander to my beloved Black Brant I. And so they lay around for a year, forelorn and unflown. Finally, I could stand it no longer.
I gathered up a half-dozen rockets, bunch of engines, wadding, etc., and my girlfriend's two young sons. We set up in a schoolyard (much smaller than what you or I would consider a schoolyard, and it was paved).
I had decided to treat the rockets as FAFs. By the time we started the first countdown, the crowd had grown to about 10 neighborhood kids. As we fired rocket after rocket, the crowd grew. The kids ranged from boys and girls from the projects to rich kids from nearby Brooklyn Heights (where the Cosby family of TV lived).
Every time a rocket snagged in a tree or on a building, some kid would scramble up to retrieve it and I'd fly it again.
I have never seen such wonder in a group of city kids!
By the time it got dark, we had at least 50 kids out there. Of that number, I have to believe I created one or two future members of our sport.
I know this post is prolix. But if I have a message, it is that should you get a chance to teach, jump on it. You will get more out of it than you know.

Thanks for a great story Uncle Toby. THAT is where it's AT !!! :) I'll add that flying with kids is like the Fountain of Youth for me.

[edit] Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Thanks for paying it forward. I love doing rocketry with my kids ... and any other kids whose parents will let me near them. :oops:

I love hearing stories like this. Rocketry has a way of sticking in your memories, and if you forget, one push of the button and you are hooked again.
Every summer I do a rocketry program for my wife's school. It's a residential facility for very troubled kids from 7 years old and up. The kids are always super excited when "The Rocket Guy" shows up. Usually I will do some classroom time going over the basics of rocketry. Then we will build some simple Estes kits like Vikings or Wizards. At the end of the program,I bring my GSE and some bigger and cooler rockets and set up in the awesome field they have. After lunch all the students and staff come out for launch day. The students who participated in the rocket program fly their rockets and some of the other students are picked to fly the birds I brought.Everyone always has a great time and it brings a lot of happiness to kids who don't have the easiest lives. I thoroughly enjoy doing the program and I look forward to it every summer.

When I read the title, I was hoping for something by 'The Who' !

Happily it was about rockets!! :D

Sweet story, love when things like that happen!

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I lurked for ages before posting because I am an old BAR living in a very rocket unfriendly city. You can hardly find the wimpiest Estes pre-built in all of NYC. And here I sit, already itching for that L1.

Back