The Job No One Wants

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I had my RF last Thursday morning, soreness is gone so once again it's time to clean my bathroom.
Imagine the worst back woods man cave, greese monkey gas station rest room, and double that and that's how bad my bathroom is.
I hate the job, so I only do it after each RF treatment (every 6 months).
I lost my waders when we moved, so I'm going in without protection except rubber gloves.
With any luck, I'll survive to live to clean again...in 6 months.
If I don't come back, please send flowers to my wife, Tina.
{Deep breath and holds it}

I might also add a respirator and eye protection! :y: Good luck!

As an aside, I'm too much of a neat freak to allow my own place to go that long without cleaning, with the exception of my workshop. I work a week on, week off schedule, so my place gets cleaned every two weeks!

I walked into a restroom in an LA Texaco...I turned right around and walked out. It was indescribable...

I later saw a prototype self-cleaning bathroom in Japan. Now, they were on the right track :)

I worked at an Amoco on the interstate for several years.

The bathrooms were tile and linoleum with cement floor drains. We'd go through twice a day with a garden hose and blast the place out, let it dry for an hour or so, then scrub down with Comet and Pine-Sol . Still once or twice a day somebody went in there and had a biological disaster. :y::y:

The men's room was consistently worse, but the women's reached unbelievable peak levels of disgusting.

I lived, my back is killing me and I start PE tomorrow.
But I have to tell you Winston.
I looked at that link you provided and it only showed one pic of an open toilet.
Mine was ten times worse than that. Though, most of it was stain from 100 year old city water pipes.
The apartment complex is only about 10 years old and has a flexible plastic pipe supply system.
The was also quite of bit of over spray, and chew juice from spitin in the toilet.

Never in my wildest days have I let cleaning go to this extent. Too proud of the fact. I was also not surprised that alcohol seemed to be prolific in the photos as well. When you can get compliments from women about how clean your place is, you're doing something right!

To be honest I find those kitchens to be more disturbing than the bathrooms...

The toothbrush one was pretty bad.

I'm feeling pretty good compared to these messes! I have dust cat hair, some black marks in carpet, some dishes in sink - that's about it. I usually use paper plates, plastic cups / utensils so the dishes are never in a rush to get done.

Pffft...rank armatures every one of you.

In my previous job our engineering company was blessed with consultant work for communities that managed to acquire SAW grants. Don't remember what SAW stood for...don't really care either. What it meant for us is surveying a towns sewer system. Our surveyors would go through and locate each manhole lid. Then someone (read: me) had to go to each of those manholes and survey the INSIDE of the manhole. Pop the lid off, measure down to each pipe from the manhole rim and try to establish the diameter/type of each pipe and the condition and type of manhole. You think public restrooms smell bad? Well, we did this work during the daylight and that presents a problem. Because sewer manholes are quite dark there was no way to just stand over the hole and see whatcha had. Nope. It was time to lay down ON YOUR STOMACH and stick your head in the manhole so your eyes can adjust to the lack of light and see where and how many pipes were in there...

Lets just say I had some rather unholy experiences.

Winston, that was definitely disgusting, but I probably know people who are/were worse! Eew!

I'll offer one piece of advice to my fellow man who has to clean his own toilet... Sit; Don't stand! If you don't have a urinal hanging on your bathroom wall, sit. You'll have far less mess to clean up.

No, Woody. You don't want an outhouse. In the winter you freeze to the seat and in the summer...well it smells and the flies and spiders are everywhere and when it is full you have to move it. That means digging a deep hole and with your back that might be impossible. Suggestion: A johnny on the spot, you use it, they clean it and they pump it. Sweet deal if you can stand to use them.

I'll offer one piece of advice to my fellow man who has to clean his own toilet... Sit; Don't stand! If you don't have a urinal hanging on your bathroom wall, sit. You'll have far less mess to clean up.

This housing complex bought the cheapest everything they could. The toilets are like kid's size.
About 3/4 the height of a normal one, and about 3/4 the size of a normal ROUND toilet.
There is no room for Mr. Johnson when the Throne Buffer is working.

No, Woody. You don't want an outhouse. In the winter you freeze to the seat and in the summer...well it smells and the flies and spiders are everywhere and when it is full you have to move it. That means digging a deep hole and with your back that might be impossible. Suggestion: A johnny on the spot, you use it, they clean it and they pump it. Sweet deal if you can stand to use them.

I worked construction for almost 20 years, port-o-lets and me are no strangers.
I put an out house on property I had years back, it wasn't all that bad with just me using it.
It was basically hunting land, 9 acres, I was thinning trees, cutting firewood, was going to eventually build a cabin there.
But I ended up moving to the South end of the state when I left auto body repair and started my construction career.
So I ended up selling the property, doubling my money in the year and half I had it.

Back in the day, way back, I used to frequent a drive in hamburger joint with my construction pals, usually on a Friday evening after developing a hearty thirst.

https://res.dallasnews.com/interactives/kellers/

Well during one colder than a witch's broom winter, I stopped in at this Dallas landmark to quench my thirst and eat a grease burger. After a couple of cold Coors, I had to relieve myself and walked over to the men's room which is or was located around the backside of the building. I mean it was cold outside!

So when I get inside, I discover that the men's room had no heat and there was "black ice" all over the concrete floor. Of course this icy coating started out as a "yellow liquid" which had overflowed from the urinal trough because the P-trap (or is that "pee trap") was also frozen solid because of sub freezing temperatures and zero heat.

I did my business, skated out and haven't been back since. :facepalm:

Speaking of fine eateries in Dallas... When I was recuperating from my surgery this spring at my brother's house, we went to the Gas Monkey Bar and Grill. Decent, if somewhat expensive food. After lunch, and several glasses of water, I needed to use the Gent's. I was having a lot of trouble getting around, so I used the handicapped stall (grab rails). It looked like someone had stood at the door and peed across the entire room. Almost everything in there (except possibly the ceiling) was wet. I grabbed paper towels and tried to clean as much up as I could so I could sit down. I tried to use one of those paper seat protectors, but every time I got it placed and tried to turn around and sit, the dang automatic toilet would flush. That happened four times. I finally covered the sensor with a paper towel and was able to do my business.

OK, two outhouse etiquette questions. Two corn cobs or three and white or yellow corn?

I have a cat litter box each side of toilet - figured it was logical everybody used the same room. Sometimes when I go in {I leave the door open since I'm the only human living here} in less than a minute I'll have company, one critter each side for a group weewee. :D It actually strikes me as kind of cute. Since both the cats are guys I guess it counts as some kind of male bonding ritual?

I have a cat litter box each side of toilet - figured it was logical everybody used the same room. Sometimes when I go in {I leave the door open since I'm the only human living here} in less than a minute I'll have company, one critter each side for a group weewee. :D It actually strikes me as kind of cute. Since both the cats are guys I guess it counts as some kind of male bonding ritual?

Huh. An actual p!$&*#g contest.

My back is killing me today...and I'm suppose to start PT today.
I'm putting it off for a couple days.
I wish I had an out house....

My dad (born 1925) grew up with an outhouse. Let's just say he never had one in any property he ever owned as an adult. :wink:

When I deployed with FEMA to New Orleans in 2005 for Katrina we were housed in an old high school. The below facilities are what we had to clean up before we could use them. I believe this high school has since been demolished.

DSCF1345.jpgDSCF1346.jpg

Back