The Growth of rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDcluster

Reaction score
Can be greater accomplished if we have national publications in book stores like Borders & Barnes & Noble along with hobby stores.
HPR magazine did a great disservice to rocketry when they decided to not sell to the general public. Just look at how skateboarding has become as widspread as it is today. When I was in school die hard skaters always had magazines to read.

I know HPR had some production problems , but maybe at least Extreme rocketry could distribute to bookstores....

Just a few thoughts,

JD

From what I understand, some bookstores do carry ER. I'm sure it's not the publisher's choice that it can't usually be found in a mainstream store. The stores carry what they think will sell, it's that simple. It's a chicken-and-egg problem. If more people were involved in the hobby, there'd be more demand for it.

In my opinion, our hobby is too small to support more than one full-size periodical anyway. For comparison, look at R/C airplanes - you can find two or three mags for it just at the grocery, much less a good bookstore or hobby shop. Just a semi-educated guess, but there's probably four or five active R/C flyers for every one active rocketeer. Narrow it down to high-power or AM/EX and the margin's even bigger. And that market is definitely ER's focus.

ER has gotten a lot better but it's still a bit thin on content, and it doesn't appear that anyone has the budget to hire even a couple of full-time professional writers to beat the bushes for subject matter. We have to generate our own copy. So in the end, it's up to us to bring new people into the hobby. And if we want to see our activities in print, it's up to us to contribute.

Oof. This gets into a bunch of things I think about all the time that I won't be able to convey properly here.

I think the biggest problem the hobby faces is the lack of focus on mid-powered rocketry. Truly easy access that's relatively pocketbook and regulatory friendly while giving the smoke, fire and noise factor that will impress adults. I'm talking about MPR not from the Estes E-9 perspective but from the (currently only AT on a real level) AP E,F, and G moter perspective. Don't get me wrong, I love E-9's NOW, but what got me back into the hobby after getting my daughter her starter set was an F40 in an Initiator. That's the one that made me go "whoa...there's room for a big kid here".

Let's face it...if dad (or mom in some occasions) don't get into the hobby in an affordable way, the kids can't do it themselves. Right now, there just isn't an economically friendly AP MPR setup out there. There will be a ton of people here who will say "hey, I love the LPR stuff", but if you weren't into it as a kid, you need something to grab you like it grabs your kid for you be interested enough to keep doing it with them. Ya gotta grab the parents to get the kids who are going to guarantee the future of the hobby.

The economics of retail magazine distribution make it very hard for small publications to execute this kind of selling. Here's how the game works.

You find a distributor supporting Borders, et. al.

You sign an agreement that says you supply magazines at no cost to them for 6 months.

At the end of 6 months, they total up the sales for the first issue and pay you for them. They destroy the leftover magazines.

The process repeats for as long as you have an agreement with that distributor.

So you have to secure funding to fill the pipeline for 6 months before you know how well you're going to do. Very expensive.

Large magazine do retail distribution because they're trying to pump up their circulation numbers. If they do that via retail sales, they can charge more for ad space becasue they tell advertisers they're reaching more people. Speciality magazines, like rocketry, don't have that kind of advertising model because the markets are so small.

Originally posted by JDcluster
Can be greater accomplished if we have national publications in book stores like Borders & Barnes & Noble along with hobby stores....Just a few thoughts,

JD

I think maybe if there were a one-time magazine with articles showing the current state of low, mid, high, EX with a couple of the recent spectaculars highlighted (Aurora Project, SS1) it would be intersting enough for the general population to pick up. Let them know rocketry has made it to the 21st century. Who'd a thunk even 20 years ago there'd be altimeters you could fit into the old Estes BT20, and hybrid an inch in diameter. Heck, hybrids were unheard of 20 years ago.

I think it could probably be put together with mostly existing stuff. It'd be of little interest to present rocketers, but it could be a good publicity effort for general public awareness.

I just think we're still too much of a fringe sport to have mags in bookstores or newsstands. It does amaze me that there are always 2 or 3 different R/C mags on the rack, are there really that many more in that hobby?

Glenn

Yes, the Academy of Model Aeronautics has 170,000 members. Most of the members join for RC flight insurance.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/

Maybe someone needs to write the book
"Sport Rocketry for Dummies?"

Ham Radio for Dummies
--we have one for ham radio written by Ward Silver :cool:

What a waste to just cut up perfectly good magazines.
Does the NAR ever donate a few to public libraries ???

JD

Originally posted by narprez
The economics of retail magazine distribution make it very hard for small publications to execute this kind of selling. Here's how the game works.

You find a distributor supporting Borders, et. al.

You sign an agreement that says you supply magazines at no cost to them for 6 months.

At the end of 6 months, they total up the sales for the first issue and pay you for them. They destroy the leftover magazines.

The process repeats for as long as you have an agreement with that distributor.

So you have to secure funding to fill the pipeline for 6 months before you know how well you're going to do. Very expensive.

snipped

Maybe putting copies in the bookstores isn't feasable, but I'm sure there are many of us that would like to buy a subscription without joining an organization.
I'm not knocking the organizations, but some would just rather not spend that much money just so they can get a magazine, like kids for instance. I know as a kid I looked through my Estes catalog alot more times than I actually flew a rocket. With the magazine, kids would stay interested even if they didn't get to fly that often.

Tim

i've seen them in barnes and noble...one copy...on the bottom shelf...WAY in the back...took me about 10 minutes to find it, but it was there. perhaps if the mag included gift certificates to low power manufacturers like, 10% off at fliskits, or 10% off an estes purchase...etc...then some extensive advertising. holding meets all around the country, go to the news stations and get coverage...im sure we could bump our hobby up the ladder in a couple years time. i know as soon as i saw an F20 burn i was HOOKED on rocketry.

I would tend to agree that we are too much of a niche market to go after the big marketplaces. However, nothing says we can't reach more people in other ways. As much as NarPrez might want to tear my arm off for saying it, there might be people out there who are Tripoli members and want SR magazine without an NAR membership. Using a product like the Zinio (WWW.ZINIO.COM) e-publisher would be one way that SR could be distributed w/o incurring the cost of distribution. In fact, I would much prefer to get my magazine in an electronic format.

If exposure is what we want, perhaps an effort to get an article pubished in an applicable magazine like Mechanics Illustrated, Popular Science, Air & Space, etc would be a fruitful path. We want to spread the knowledge not just make it more convenient to the alreadyh interested.

I do agree with Kermie in that we need to focus on the transition range of the hobbu. Low power/black powder will always be there for the sunday afternoon shooter. High power will remain around, perhaps more difficult to do if the legal efforts do not succeed, because that is a level at which the true believers or Zealots thrive. Like any hobby, they will find a way to get their "fix".

A large demographic of people who want a high power like rush on a low power budget are being somewhat overlooked. This is kind of sad as there is probably a great deal of interest there.

While I do agree that the legal actions are necessary, I also think that the NAR and Tripoli leadership are focusiong way too much effort on the legal battle and not enough on making sure there is an organization there after the fight is won.

A

The consumption of magazines will follow the growth of the interest in the hobby, not the other way around. If you want the hobby to grow, you need to do 2 things: 1) advertise it; and 2) make it more accessible.

Advertising does not mean placing ads in magazines or newspapers or in hobby shops, but rather putting it out in front of the masses. If there was a continuing series, professionally done, on one of the cable channels, similar to the LDRS shows in Rocket Challenge (but focused on LPR/MPR and everyday launches), it would show the masses that rocketry is a sport not just for scouts and students.

Accessibility is a bit more of an issue. I know that here in California, launching is a bit of a hassle since most municipalities and fire districts have strict laws against any kind of launch, even from large parks. So that leaves people with having to find club launches where they can go and launch under the protection of a permit. If they were already interested enough to find a club, they are probably already interested enough to do more than just a scout or student launch. There isn't the opportunity to walk down to the local park on a nice sunny afternoon and launch a few, which would inspire and interest other park-goers, and spread the hobby.

Once those two issues are solved, rocketry mags will grow in popularity and become more economically viable.

WW

I agree with wwattles that accessibility is a big problem. Local launches are prohibited at parks here also. My closest organized launch is about 45 minutes away, assuming there is no weekend road construction. This alone will limit our growth.

I think the biggest issue with individual subscriptions may be the number of current members who'd drop out and just get the mag.

What a waste to just cut up perfectly good magazines.

Destroying the magazine makes sure that the vendor doesn't sell them under the table and cut both the distributor and publisher out of their revenue.

Shipping them back to the publisher is too expensive to undertake given the margins in the business.

Does the NAR ever donate a few to public libraries ???

We allow NAR sections to offer up the names of two school or public libraries per year to receive free subscriptions.

I did neglet to add in my earlier post that What WW And Dick said is the real truisim. While I can't speak to the difficulties in California, although watching the news of the wildfires,I can undersatand some level of fear on behalf of local governments.

I honestly believe above all else that marketing sport rocketry as a safe and interesting way to teach young people about science and technology is the key to long term success. Securing relief from untoeard governmental regulation is a worthwhile effort, however if the effort made to demonstrate the benefits of rocketry, then it will remain a niche hobby where those people who would regulate it to death can crow that they did something to prevent terrorisim and face almost no political consequences in the doing.

Me? I hype it whereever I go. I actually have the monday morning launch reports fot the armchair LSOs where I work.

I will consider it the greatest accomplishment for my club when I can have a regular NAR section launch and get 100 peole just to show up.

Al

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
I will consider it the greatest accomplishment for my club when I can have a regular NAR section launch and get 100 peole just to show up.

Al

One of the problems here is that the CATO launches and the CMASS launches always seem to occur on the same day.

Since I'm a CMASS member, I go to the CMASS launches where there always seems to be a good turnout and skip the CATO launches.

If the two clubs could coordinate their schedules there might be a few more CMASS members at CATO launches and vice versa.

I want to see what I can do to do some schedule shifting. Problem is nobody responds from my posts to the addresses at the CMASS web site.:(

If you guys have not set your calendar for 2005, I would be more than willing to negotiate.

One thing though - We launch in the winter -'cmon down. Bring yoer scanned files and I'll PDF them for you on the spot!:p

Al

Originally posted by narprez
We allow NAR sections to offer up the names of two school or public libraries per year to receive free subscriptions.

How do we get a school on the list?

A

Can be greater accomplished if we have national publications in book stores like Borders & Barnes & Noble along with hobby stores.

Despite some good points made by others, I would have to say you make a strong point. I personally got interested in rocketry again after finding High Power Rocketry in the local BookStop in the early 90s.

Many other members of the local club have similar tales of discovering the grown-up hobby after stumbling across a magazine in a bookstore.

Bill

That's exactly what brought me back the 2nd time. At that time, Tower Records and Borders carried HPR mag.

Some 3.5 years ago I saw a blurb in the news about the ATF cracking down on HPR, didn't know HPR existed until that time. A little web surfing got me wanting to know more (hadn't flown in years and years then it was model only). Made a trek to this hobby store in town that deals in rocket stuff, luckily for me that store was Countdown Hobbies. After asking Kevin a million and one questions and buying a bunch of magazines I was hooked.

Originally posted by thomasrau
Some 3.5 years ago I saw a blurb in the news about the ATF cracking down on HPR, didn't know HPR existed until that time.

I think that's an excellent way to find a fun hobby. If the Government is against it, it's probably fun, educational and generally safe.

urbanek

Originally posted by urbanek
If the Government is against it, it's probably fun, educational and generally safe.

urbanek

Ya know, I hate to say it, but we are currently in an atmosphere where we have to convince people in the general public that rocketry hobbyists are not crackpot looney-toons pyromaniac Unabomber wannabees, and comments like that do not help.

I read and hear way too many people carry on this anti-government mantra, wearing t-shirts, borderline crazy bumper stickers, people get on bulletin boards and say, "the hell with safety codes," blah blah.

A lot of time, money and effort is going into the legal battles, and it'll all be for nothing if this stuff keeps up. You can bet that somewhere, somebody is keeping track of it, making a list, checking it twice, etc etc.

Back