The Greatest has passed... Muhammad Ali

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
He moved like a butterfly, and stung like a bee... but now he's gone to his final resting place.

Peace

dont-count-ali.jpg

"I am the astronaut of boxing. Joe Louis and Dempsey were just jet pilots. I'm in a world of my own."

And he didn't want me living with roaches:
[video=youtube;Z1PPM7q4ziY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PPM7q4ziY[/video]

Sad to see the great reduce to the mortal he became. RIP.

He will always be the greatest to me. I listened to him beat Sonny Liston on the radio. It was so cool watching him fight, you knew no matter what happened, he was going to win. RIP to the Greatest ever.

His family blames repeated blows to the head for the Parkinson's.
So as a fund raiser for his charity they staged celebrity boxing matches.
Never was a Clay fan.

M

My father, when he wasn't commanding Nike bases in the US, spent time as an attache abroad.
Our family was stationed in Rome Italy during the summer Olympics of 1960.

At night I could hear the crowds in Olympic village cheering from our apartment balcony.
Some guy named Cassius Clay won a gold medal boxing in that event.
He didn't have the lingo down yet, but as they say, it ain't bragging if you are that good.

CassiusClayGold.jpg

He truly was the greatest in many respects. I miss the athletes of the old days.

A couple of years back, I watched "When We were Kings" and for about 90 minutes it really felt like I had time-traveled back to the mid-70's. That gave me a totally new level of respect for George Foreman, as well, who eventually came back stronger than before (but if it wasn't for Ali, he never would have gotten to that level).

His fight in Maine is still the most newsworthy event that has ever happened in my home town, although I was too young at the time. RIP, Champ.

He truly was the greatest in many respects. I miss the athletes of the old days.

A couple of years back, I watched "When We were Kings" and for about 90 minutes it really felt like I had time-traveled back to the mid-70's. That gave me a totally new level of respect for George Foreman, as well, who eventually came back stronger than before (but if it wasn't for Ali, he never would have gotten to that level).

My opinion of Foreman changed as well. George said that after that fight all he felt was anger and desire for revenge.
After a few years he changed and said "[Ali is] the greatest man I've ever known. Not greatest boxer that's too small for him. He had a gift. He's not pretty he's beautiful. Everything America should be, Muhammad Ali is."
You have to like a guy who names all his kids 'George'.

He was a natural born entertainer. Back then boxing was just people beating each other up. But he came along and was a celebrity. He changed everything about the way people think about boxing. It would not be the huge, multi-billion-dollar enterprise it is today without Ali.

Back