The GREAT things you are gonna do during "lockdown"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speaknoevil

Reaction score
Time for some positives here! With what, for many, will be extra/idle time for the foreseeable future, this could be positive and used for self-improvement and new learning. What are your plans?

For me,
  1. Finishing my last Psych course in a certificate program from UC Berkeley (online, so no worries).
  2. Have a couple of courses in SQL and Python I want to finish on Udemy and DataCamp, respectively.
  3. Have lost 35 lbs on a low-carb diet since December. Given I now have the "opportunity" to cook more, it gives me even more resolve to continue.
  4. I have this pesky Fender guitar sitting here in the corner, and although I do know how to play, it has been years, and I really want to get good at playing the Blues.
  5. Finally, of course, build rockets. Current Mach 1 Daedalus well on its way. Last week I ordered some ply rings and bulkheads from Pnobile so I can start on a BSD Thor (original) next.
So, what do you have planned???

Work on my boat, since no one else will. Catch up on yard work. Do more gardening. Plenty to do around the house.

I have had a lot more LEGO time with the boys, so...

1) Finish First Order Star Destroyer with my 8 yo.
2) Finish 2000 piece Y-wing with 11 yo.
3) Dig into the other kits we have on hand

You will look back and see this as extremely important time.

1. Still go to work, probably work extra
2. Finish my online psych class
3. Educate / Entertsain my son
4. Still find time to enjoy the warmer weather outdoors.

I'm considered ssential staffing on infrastructure, so I'll keep going in. Pretty grateful TBH, I know plenty of people who can't work right now.

My plan is to build at least one of the rocket kits I’ve purchased in the last month or so.

While the glue/epoxy dry/cure, I will continue playing Diablo III online and once again be the oldest player on the leader boards. If you play, I go by o1ddude4real on Battle.net

Work, work some more and work.
Clean garage and organize to get ready for laminating fin cans on our group 2stage.
Calibrate the cnc machine to make the rail guides for above project.
Then paint the above project.

I was supposed to be in a local Lego show this week-end..

models are built..

Funny thing. I went to the DMV yesterday to get plates for my car. The whole transaction from start to finish took about 20 minutes including waiting in the long line of 7 people.

Ooh, jealous of that one. Would look great next to my UCS X-wing. How’s the build?

Even better, how do you divide the labor with your kid?

The Ultimate Collector Series kits are awesome builds. We did the 2000 piece Slave 1 (Boba Fett’s ship) last year. As for division of labor, I pull the pieces for the step and put them in a pile, they complete the step, and for the 8 yo I try to watch to make sure everything got into the right place...bad to find a mistake 300 pieces later, and you have to tunnel in to fix it. Sometimes, if it says build the same thing 8 times I’ll help on that step. Basically, I do the lame part, and they do the actual build...my spacial skills are good, I want them to learn.

The Ultimate Collector Series kits are awesome builds. We did the 2000 piece Slave 1 (Boba Fett’s ship) last year. As for division of labor, I pull the pieces for the step and put them in a pile, they complete the step, and for the 8 yo I try to watch to make sure everything got into the right place...bad to find a mistake 300 pieces later, and you have to tunnel in to fix it. Sometimes, if it says build the same thing 8 times I’ll help on that step. Basically, I do the lame part, and they do the actual build...my spacial skills are good, I want them to learn.

That sounds similar to what I do with my daughter, although these days she builds so fast I can hardly keep up with the part-finding. :)

Funny thing. I went to the DMV yesterday to get plates for my car. The whole transaction from start to finish took about 20 minutes including waiting in the long line of 7 people.
Normally waiting in line at DMV is one of the most depressing things a person must do.

Locally, you just sign in and have a seat in the waiting area and watch tv until your number appears on the screen. The actual transaction took less than 7 minutes once I was called up to the window.

The wait in front of the tv was over an hour.

I'm not on a complete lock down yet so I'll still go to work to finish projects before the end of the ki.

But since there's nothing else to do in the evening:
a. Get caught up on my comic book scanning and cataloging.
b. Continue working on planning for the Ohio Cup. Once the public gathering ban is lifted and the AIA & NAR say "GO", we're on again.
b. Work on finishing: my Mega Initiator, new Mirage (to replace one I destroyed in August) and Nuke Pro Maxx.
c. Get caught up on TV shows I've been putting off or decide to pull the plug on them.

Time for some positives here! With what, for many, will be extra/idle time for the foreseeable future, this could be positive and used for self-improvement and new learning. What are your plans?

For me,
  1. Finishing my last Psych course in a certificate program from UC Berkeley (online, so no worries).
  2. Have a couple of courses in SQL and Python I want to finish on Udemy and DataCamp, respectively.
  3. Have lost 35 lbs on a low-carb diet since December. Given I now have the "opportunity" to cook more, it gives me even more resolve to continue.
  4. I have this pesky Fender guitar sitting here in the corner, and although I do know how to play, it has been years, and I really want to get good at playing the Blues.
  5. Finally, of course, build rockets. Current Mach 1 Daedalus well on its way. Last week I ordered some ply rings and bulkheads from Pnobile so I can start on a BSD Thor (original) next.
So, what do you have planned???
I play guitar too, good luck on your journey, and may your fingers callous quickly.

For me there is no extra time to do stuff. I'm working from home full time, overseeing kids eLearning (mostly my older one who says he did it all then gets assignments marked missing), cooking much more than before... This ain't no time off for me.

Not complaining. My wife and I still have our jobs and that is more than a lot of people can say.

Good luck to everyone!

I'm retired so not much change in my social distancing. :) I've been reading alot, working in my woodworking shop, watching movies, taking walks with my dogs, and staying in touch with family & friends. Luckily, I live in a rural area and there have been few reports around here of COVID-19.

1. Have a couple of rockets to finish painting if the snow will stop
2. A pair of kits in the cabinet that I need to finish the mods on and build
3. Replace the nut on one of my guitars and solder the JonesyBlues wiring upgrade on another and keep bending some notes on the strings
4. Tying a ton of flies for a hopefully upcoming youth outdoors trip in June.
5. Finish studying for my HAM license
And then there's the honey-do list that fits in there somewhere!

Back