The Give it Take it Thread!! - LP version

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess what I got in the mail today.View attachment 484888

I want to thank you very much. I plan to send the white rocket forward to a club member’s 12 yr. old son. He is into clusters.

Hey! Thats great that everything seems to have arrived in good shape. The white rocket is not complete and the top sections are not glued. Also you will notice the bottom section is in primer only. Don't forget it needs stability checked!

Let them rip in the Kansas Sky!!!
Enjoy!

I am getting my larger projects ready for Midwest Power, so I will be continuing with the next "take it model rocket" build (since I gave away my last two rockets I want to pass on at this point) after I get back.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to join in and pass a rocket to another person, have at it! It is pretty fun!

Be back soon!
Andrew

Now that the box has arrived at it's destination I can post what I sent. I sent one of our new forum member a missile I built from a kit, a school rocket from BMS and a rocket I purpose built for him. That rocket was unpainted so he can practice his painting. I also sent along some Estes tube marking tools, some motors, some wading and some shock cord. And a spool. He sent me a video of his grandson opening the box. It was cool. Made me feel good to help someone out and make a young person happy.

I received the Air Commander Rocket back in September and we had our first club launch today since then, so it's time for pictures and flight report!

This was at the Tripoli North Texas launch in Akroville. I decided to fly it as a single stage today before doing two-stage flights later on. Motor was a D22-7 which really made it scoot. Apogee was about 900 ft with a max speed of about 325 ft/s. The flight was normal until deployment, during which my shock cord broke. The payload bay came down under chute and the main body tube tumbled to a soft landing with no damage. All parts recovered from the field and ready for a better shock cord to be installed.

I'd like to thank Andrew again for offering this amazing opportunity and graciousness in having these rockets starting to passed down for even more enjoyment!

-Michael

View attachment Air Commander.mov

IMG_6076.JPGIMG_6077.JPGIMG_6078.JPGIMG_6079.JPG

I wanted to thank 2 amazing members who reached out to me after my response to this thread. Initially I thought it a great way to converse with older wiser members and possibly a way to receive a beautifully made rocket for my grandson and I who just had gotten into rocketry together last year. I never would've thought these members would contact me privately on their own willing to share some of the rockets they had built throughout their years. I was having all kinds of launch issues on a RTF model I'd gotten just for the launchpad and starter. After speaking with them both and then hearing of my troubles with my 1st build and the fact I got into Rocketry to have a fun and educational project for my grandson and I. They decided to send me a whole slew of goodies. I'm blown away at how the community has accepted me and are so willing to share in our experiences together walking down this road. I'm so touched at the love and generosity they imparted upon us.
@teepot thank you so much for the amazing supplies you'd sent me to get my grandson and I started on our road together. We will have hours of fun with the rocket gear you sent us. I'm so deeply touched. Now that the days are starting to warm up I hope I'll get to see my grandson some and take advantage of our time together finishing the 1 rocket that just needs a paint job & stickers. Thank you for the fly ready custom built model you sent to us. Thank you for the spool rocket which we were able to get up in the sky before the cold weather shut us down. We had a blast flying it and he thought it was so quirky being a spool from wire outfitted with a motor tube to fly. The float down recovery system is easy enough for a new like me not to screw up. We're really excited to start building the BMS School Rocket which will be a build solely by us. Thanks for the straight edge fin marking jig and all the other odds and ends allowing us to be able to fly any one of the rockets successfully. I'll do my best to get some pictures and video hopefully of us enjoying different aspects of the build and flights so you can share along with us.
@BSNW Thanks so much for also reaching out to me had you never made this Give it Take it Thread I'd never had the experience of talking to both of you. For that I'm very grateful. I was able to open the box you sent to me about a week ago with my grandson due to work schedules and school schedules plus my wife and I suffering from Covid shortly after Xmas I wasn't able to see him till recently to open your gift. We'll have fun finishing the Baby Bertha which just needs stickers. Thanks for the rubber band plane those are super cool and I remember them as a kid. So we'll have fun playing with it. Thanks so much for the Razor Kit it looks like fun.
I'm going to be adding to this thread soon as I make some progress with my grandson. You both are great people for sharing such generosity with us. If anyone is starting out I believe these two members would be willing to help you out on your way whether just starting out like me or just getting into a different aspect of rocket building they know a lot and would be happy to help. Thanks guys,

Dylan

Attachments

• 16492902049017274999725179044878.jpg
    16492902049017274999725179044878.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 16492903741548003749654957990794.jpg
    16492903741548003749654957990794.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 14
I wanted to thank 2 amazing members who reached out to me after my response to this thread. Initially I thought it a great way to converse with older wiser members and possibly a way to receive a beautifully made rocket for my grandson and I who just had gotten into rocketry together last year. I never would've thought these members would contact me privately on their own willing to share some of the rockets they had built throughout their years. I was having all kinds of launch issues on a RTF model I'd gotten just for the launchpad and starter. After speaking with them both and then hearing of my troubles with my 1st build and the fact I got into Rocketry to have a fun and educational project for my grandson and I. They decided to send me a whole slew of goodies. I'm blown away at how the community has accepted me and are so willing to share in our experiences together walking down this road. I'm so touched at the love and generosity they imparted upon us.
@teepot thank you so much for the amazing supplies you'd sent me to get my grandson and I started on our road together. We will have hours of fun with the rocket gear you sent us. I'm so deeply touched. Now that the days are starting to warm up I hope I'll get to see my grandson some and take advantage of our time together finishing the 1 rocket that just needs a paint job & stickers. Thank you for the fly ready custom built model you sent to us. Thank you for the spool rocket which we were able to get up in the sky before the cold weather shut us down. We had a blast flying it and he thought it was so quirky being a spool from wire outfitted with a motor tube to fly. The float down recovery system is easy enough for a new like me not to screw up. We're really excited to start building the BMS School Rocket which will be a build solely by us. Thanks for the straight edge fin marking jig and all the other odds and ends allowing us to be able to fly any one of the rockets successfully. I'll do my best to get some pictures and video hopefully of us enjoying different aspects of the build and flights so you can share along with us.
@BSNW Thanks so much for also reaching out to me had you never made this Give it Take it Thread I'd never had the experience of talking to both of you. For that I'm very grateful. I was able to open the box you sent to me about a week ago with my grandson due to work schedules and school schedules plus my wife and I suffering from Covid shortly after Xmas I wasn't able to see him till recently to open your gift. We'll have fun finishing the Baby Bertha which just needs stickers. Thanks for the rubber band plane those are super cool and I remember them as a kid. So we'll have fun playing with it. Thanks so much for the Razor Kit it looks like fun.
I'm going to be adding to this thread soon as I make some progress with my grandson. You both are great people for sharing such generosity with us. If anyone is starting out I believe these two members would be willing to help you out on your way whether just starting out like me or just getting into a different aspect of rocket building they know a lot and would be happy to help. Thanks guys,

Dylan
Thank you for your kind words. I was happy to be able to help you and your grandson. If you have a question on anything or I can help in any, just let me know.

Dave

I haven't forgotten this thread. Life took an unexpected turn and I am currently recovering from surgery, pinned to the bed by Nurse Ratchett and her damned 'no fly' zone. Now, more than ever, I want to support this effort. Give me a week or so to get my gyros spun up enough to at least wobble around and find some candidates. I should have a few LPR birds or at least some MPR to pass on. It's the least I can do to show the appreciation of the comraderie and genuine friendships I've made here on on the test ranges. I've supported a lot of newbies here, and even when they dropped out, it has been satisfying in a personal way. Not everybody is crazy enough to fly for 50 years, but my future widow will have no clue what to do with the debris piles I'll leave behind. Straight smoke and good chutes! Watch this thread!
-dave-

Last edited:

Dylan

Hey Dylan-

Thanks for your kind words! I am glad you and your grandchild are enjoying the goodies! ENJOY and have fun!
Peace
Andrew

It has been a long time! So I think it is time to continue the fun!

The next rocket I would like to pass on is my trusty ESAM kit from Hobby Lobby, painted in Target Drone style! (hence the "AM-58").

The modifications are as follows. It sports a (proper) 24mm motor mount ready for a D12-5 or if you dare an E12-6, although I have never done an E12 in this. As you can see in the photo, it has a friction fit set up. It does have a motor (ahem), block but I still put a small thrust ring on my D12's. It also sports a weighted nose for the larger motors. It has a Kevlar shock cord mount so you can switch out your crusty rubber band or elastic. And finally the inner body tube has been sealed with poly. It has been flown a lot but as you can see, it is as good as new. It also flies nice and straight!

I would love to pass this on to someone who will promise to fly it. All you folks have to do is pick a number between 1 and. 75 and post your guess either in the forum or PM. I will announce the winner on Monday. The only thing is, when you are done with it or no longer want it, you must promise pass it on for free; no slow closet or attic death for this rocket! It is my hope that it goes out in a blaze of glory, or is lost in flight.

Photos below. GOOD LUCK! - Andrew

ESAM 1.jpg

ESAM2.jpg

I will offer this 13 mm min dia test build of a cardstock model I was making, painted white but no decals on this one. You can download and print them yourself if you want. No shock cord or streamer, so you need to add your own. It does have a baffle. First PM to me with a USA mailing address gets it. I would stick with an A10-3T motor.

Attachments

• ECCFBA32-D53F-4DB4-ACFC-7AE96DE7ECF5.jpeg
    ECCFBA32-D53F-4DB4-ACFC-7AE96DE7ECF5.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
@BSNW that sure is a beautiful model. You'll make another member a happy happy flier with such a great model.
Thanks again,
Dylan

I will offer this 13 mm min dia test build of a cardstock model I was making, painted white but no decals on this one. You can download and print them yourself if you want. No shock cord or streamer, so you need to add your own. It does have a baffle. First PM to me with a USA mailing address gets it. I would stick with an A10-3T motor.
Glen it sort of looks like the Viper ii from Battlestar Galactica.

EE21109F-0F2D-4C42-9DC6-0777022FE11D.jpeg
PM me a USA address for this matching set up for grabs. These are cardstock models inspired by the Estes Astron Sprint in 18mm and 13mm powered versions (well, one has a BT-5 plastic nose). No boat tails here, the entire body is a transition. Or, download the PDF templates from the thread in the cardstock forum and print your own!

Last edited:
View attachment 513660
PM me a USA address for this matching set up for grabs. These are cardstock models inspired by the Estes Astron Sprint in 18mm and 13mm powered versions (well, one has a BT-5 plastic nose). No boat tails here, the entire body is a transition. Or, download the PDF templates from the thread in the cardstock forum and print your own!
Brilliant designs. Thanks for the link and the pdfs!

View attachment 513660
Sprints are gone, to a good home!

BSG mini Viper is still available.

Last edited:
It has been a long time! So I think it is time to continue the fun!

The next rocket I would like to pass on is my trusty ESAM kit from Hobby Lobby, painted in Target Drone style! (hence the "AM-58").

The modifications are as follows. It sports a (proper) 24mm motor mount ready for a D12-5 or if you dare an E12-6, although I have never done an E12 in this. As you can see in the photo, it has a friction fit set up. It does have a motor (ahem), block but I still put a small thrust ring on my D12's. It also sports a weighted nose for the larger motors. It has a Kevlar shock cord mount so you can switch out your crusty rubber band or elastic. And finally the inner body tube has been sealed with poly. It has been flown a lot but as you can see, it is as good as new. It also flies nice and straight!

I would love to pass this on to someone who will promise to fly it. All you folks have to do is pick a number between 1 and. 75 and post your guess either in the forum or PM. I will announce the winner on Monday. The only thing is, when you are done with it or no longer want it, you must promise pass it on for free; no slow closet or attic death for this rocket! It is my hope that it goes out in a blaze of glory, or is lost in flight.

Photos below. GOOD LUCK! - Andrew

View attachment 513253

View attachment 513254

Did anyone claim the ESAM? Any flight report?

FREE for the taking!!

One Estes Air-Commander rocket. It has about 4-5 flights. The top has a payload for a tracker! Best on calm days GLORIOUS on D12-0 staged to a D12-5. Also has an adapter to put 18mm C motors in the upper stage. Upper stage is friction fit and can take an E12 if you are brave enough. I will toss in the stand, and a bunch of parachutes too! lastly, the shock cord mount is Kevlar so you can replace the shock cord if needed.

First to reply on this thread or PM and it is yours. Will ship to you for no cost or bring to a local launch. Photos below!

Andrew

View attachment 479731

View attachment 479733

View attachment 479734

View attachment 479735

Oh my goodness? That thing of beauty is free for the taking? Seriously?

OK here we go again! This one is a B.O.G.O!

FREE
for the taking are two rockets. Each BT60 based. They are each "Three Bangers", meaning they are 3x18mm cluster rockets. GREAT FUN!

#1) The red and grey one has flown about 4 times on 3 C6-5's. Has beautiful bass wood fins, it has a baffle! and a Kevlar shock cord mount. The entire inside of the body-tube has two coats of polyurethane for protection and cleanup. Has 3/16th lugs. A real "spectakuuuLAR" performer. I guess you still could go with three B6's if you want.

#2) This is a kit that is partially painted and NEVER FLOWN. It is...I think...a kit from Red River rocketry or is it Starlight? Anyway, cant remember the name. It has a different nose cone from the kit and the top payload was shortened a bit as the original length, IMO, was a bit long and goofy looking. The TOP and transitions have been painted but the bottom three tubes (motor tubes) and fins are in white PRIMER. It has 3/16 lugs. PAINT it and make it your own. FLY the crap out of them for a grand old time. Oh, the inside also has been coated with polyurethane.

A BONUS bag of model rocket goodies...rings, mounts, motor tubes....lots of stuff will be tossed in to this giveaway. Remember, you can keep it your whole life, but pass it on to another (for free) once you no longer want it.

Once again I have written a number down on a Post-It note...between 1 and 50. The closest person wins everything. I will call out the winner on Wednesday morning.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!! Photos below

Andrew

View attachment 483613

View attachment 483614

View attachment 483615

View attachment 483616

I like this rocket.

Back