The Give it Take it Thread!! - LP version

BSNW

Reaction score
Hey all-

I LOVE to build model rockets. I like to fly them a few times and build more. Alas, I have limited space and time and rockets tend to pile up and sit and collect dust.

There are only so many launches one can go to, and at any given launch, there is only so much time to launch. I also believe a rocket should either end its life in a blaze of glory, or meet its demise in some sort of flight related activity (Just my opinion). I ALSO LOVE to pass them on to kids, and new folks who show up to launches. I also love to pass them on to friends. Alas, that rate of distribution is slower than my acquisition and production.

The idea is this.....Post a photo (preferred) or description of a rocket that you want to pass on. The first person to reply via post or PM gets the rocket. You mail it OR bring it to a launch that you both attend.

I personally will make my shipping cost optional as I have access to lots of boxes at my job. If someone wants to pay me for shipping, that's great. If not, that is TOTALLY cool too. The rockets are FREE. I will let everyone else figure out how you want to handle shipping.

The rules are simple!

1) The rockets passed on must be FREE. One can even pass on parts or whatever...as long it is rocketry related.

2) The person who takes the rocket MUST launch it as many times as they want but agree to pass it on to someone else after they no longer want it (for FREE).

3) It is encouraged (only) to post a photo or two of said rocket its glory in flight/recovery or how it met its (proper) demise on this thread.

It was REALLY cool when I gave away a rocket one year in Ohio. Then, a number of years later I go to a launch in Indiana and saw some guy whom I did not know put that same rocket on the pad. It was cool to see it being passed around and enjoyed instead of sitting in the back of my closet!

So here we go! I hope others join in!! It sounds like fun (to me) and it is a good way to build community and see your creations living out their purpose and bring some joy to others!

p.s. I will be doing a mid-power and high power version too.

Last edited:

BSNW

Reaction score
FREE for the taking!!

One Estes Air-Commander rocket. It has about 4-5 flights. The top has a payload for a tracker! Best on calm days GLORIOUS on D12-0 staged to a D12-5. Also has an adapter to put 18mm C motors in the upper stage. Upper stage is friction fit and can take an E12 if you are brave enough. I will toss in the stand, and a bunch of parachutes too! lastly, the shock cord mount is Kevlar so you can replace the shock cord if needed.

First to reply on this thread or PM and it is yours. Will ship to you for no cost or bring to a local launch. Photos below!

Andrew

Air-Com 1.jpg

Air-Com-4.jpg

Air-Com-2.jpg

Air-Com-3.jpg

Last edited:

BSNW

Reaction score
Well, this idea and thread turned out to be a colossal DUD!

I thought it would be fun. Oh well, moving on.

Cheers

Last edited:

BSNW

Reaction score
Somebody contacted me for the Air Commander Rocket, so it has been taken. I think it is kind of cool that it is going to the state of Texas.

There is hope yet for this idea/thread. I will be putting another rocket to give away on this thread soon.

In the meantime, if anyone else is inspired to pass one on, please join in!

Thanks
Andrew

fyrwrxz

latest photo
Reaction score
I'll play as soon as I get back into town. It's the stage of life I don't want to burden my (future) widow with. You can imagine how many birds you can accumulate in 50 years. I've killed rockets after 200 flights and lost them on the first. Yep, I got stories!

John_lennon

Reaction score
I'd be very interested in receiving a rocket especially built by someone who's been building their whole life. I'd be honored to receive such a gift. I'm just starting out with my grandson as I'd like to have something fun to do with him where he could learn from also. I bought a few kits 1 was a RTF kit because it had all the launch gear needed it's Virgin flight was short and sweet as soon as we got it in the air that is. The parachute deployed and it sailed into the nearby trees. I'm building a Viking kit with him. Although it's a lot of foreign things for him to pick up at first I hope he'll get the hang of it. It's also fairly foreign to me, as I only built a few kits at summer camp as a kid. So long ago that I don't remember the kits or their flights. I'm at the finishing stage of the Viking which I'll be doing most of. I'll probably have him pick out the paint scheme and do the decals. So put me on the list if you don't mind. Thanks Dyl

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be very interested in receiving a rocket especially built by someone who's been building their whole life. I'd be honored to receive such a gift. I'm just starting out with my grandson as I'd like to have something fun to do with him where he could learn from also. I bought a few kits 1 was a RTF kit because it had all the launch gear needed it's Virgin flight was short and sweet as soon as we got it in the air that is. The parachute deployed and it sailed into the nearby trees. I'm building a Viking kit with him. Although it's a lot of foreign things for him to pick up at first I hope he'll get the hang of it. It's also fairly foreign to me, as I only built a few kits at summer camp as a kid. So long ago that I don't remember the kits or their flights. I'm at the finishing stage of the Viking which I'll be doing most of. I'll probably have him pick out the paint scheme and do the decals. So put me on the list if you don't mind. Thanks Dyl

Here's something I have to offer for your treed rockets... Hope...

I hope you get it back.

John_lennon

Reaction score
K'tesh getting it back might've been easier if I knew where it ended up after leaving the park area I launched from. I saw it drifting over a clump of rather large trees the fence at the edge of the park made it impossible to try to look for it. I took a walk through a few neighbors yards kind of following the tree line beyond our property I went for about four properties and there was no sign of it. As I don't know most of the neighbors in my building I definitely have no friends in the nearby properties. It's too bad because maybe if I did know them I might be able to retrieve it had it ever appeared. It's the cost of learning a valuable lesson that my park albeit not that small is still too small to launch a small B sized motor. I've got an idea for the next launch, which is a way larger open area. So I'll give it a whirl there for my next flight of my 1st built rocket. Hopefully the powers that be don't arrest me for commiting some type of crime. But I don't believe I'll ruffle any feathers let alone raise any eyebrows. Unless there's a squad of Karen's around with nothing better to do telling me how I'm putting them & their precious children's lives at risk. We shall see upon the Maiden Flight of the Viking.

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
K'tesh getting it back might've been easier if I knew where it ended up after leaving the park area I launched from. I saw it drifting over a clump of rather large trees the fence at the edge of the park made it impossible to try to look for it. I took a walk through a few neighbors yards kind of following the tree line beyond our property I went for about four properties and there was no sign of it. As I don't know most of the neighbors in my building I definitely have no friends in the nearby properties. It's too bad because maybe if I did know them I might be able to retrieve it had it ever appeared. It's the cost of learning a valuable lesson that my park albeit not that small is still too small to launch a small B sized motor. I've got an idea for the next launch, which is a way larger open area. So I'll give it a whirl there for my next flight of my 1st built rocket. Hopefully the powers that be don't arrest me for commiting some type of crime. But I don't believe I'll ruffle any feathers let alone raise any eyebrows. Unless there's a squad of Karen's around with nothing better to do telling me how I'm putting them & their precious children's lives at risk. We shall see upon the Maiden Flight of the Viking.
How big of a rocket do you want. What size motor mount. PM me.

BSNW

Reaction score
Hey all-

I have another rocket that is free for the taking. As you can see, it is an Estes Der Red Max. What you may not see is that it is "properly powered"....

It has a 24mm motor mount with retainer. It also has a Kevlar lanyard shock-cord mount to enable one to switch out shock cords. It also has two coats of polyurethane inside to keep it clean and spiffy. It has (I think) two pats of Estes clay in the nose to accommodate the D12. You must do a final balance check for stability!! . This ride also does NOT have a motor block, so you will have to use thin tape to make your thrust ring. It is built to scoot (actually fly like a rocket). An F12 would be a GREAT motor for this...any of the 24mm reloads really. Or a simple D12 would be fun.

The best part is....THAT IT HAS NEVER FLOWN!! Yep, I just finished it last night for this thread. The rules are: you are asked (not absolutely required, but really desired) to take an "on the pad" photo and post a flight "report". And you are asked to pass it on to another person for free if you no longer want it (or keep it forever). Looking for a good home and hoping others join me in passing on rockets! Photos below!!

I have written a number down on a Post-It note. This number is between 1 and 50. PM me OR post your guess and the closest person gets it. I will call it tomorrow morning- 9/16/21. You got 24 hours.....Good Luck!!

p.s. free shipping to you!

Andrew

RM1.jpg

RM2.jpg

RM3.jpg

GlenP

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Every year our school has a fundraiser auction, and I usually donate a starter rocket launch set for the silent auction table, like the Tandem-X or Astrocam.

I really went all out in 2019 for the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing and included a bunch of RTF, beginner, and advanced kits. Here is a snapshot of that year's gift basket (also included tickets for the local museum of flight and astronaut ice cream from the gift shop):

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 10.41.26 AM.png

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Every year our school has a fundraiser auction, and I usually donate a starter rocket launch set for the silent auction table, like the Tandem-X or Astrocam.

I really went all out in 2019 for the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing and included a bunch of RTF, beginner, and advanced kits. Here is a snapshot of that year's gift basket (also included tickets for the local museum of flight and astronaut ice cream from the gift shop):

View attachment 481860
How much did it go for?

BSNW

Reaction score

View attachment 481860

Wow-
That is quite a donation. You really went all out Glen!
I bet offering to pass on a single rocket to a fellow rocket enthusiast would be nothing for a guy like you. :)

mikewrt

26 hour/day parent
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all-

I have another rocket that is free for the taking. As you can see, it is an Estes Der Red Max. What you may not see is that it is "properly powered"....

It has a 24mm motor mount with retainer. It also has a Kevlar lanyard shock-cord mount to enable one to switch out shock cords. It also has two coats of polyurethane inside to keep it clean and spiffy. It has (I think) two pats of Estes clay in the nose to accommodate the D12. You must do a final balance check for stability!! . This ride also does NOT have a motor block, so you will have to use thin tape to make your thrust ring. It is built to scoot (actually fly like a rocket). An F12 would be a GREAT motor for this...any of the 24mm reloads really. Or a simple D12 would be fun.

The best part is....THAT IT HAS NEVER FLOWN!! Yep, I just finished it last night for this thread. The rules are: you are asked (not absolutely required, but really desired) to take an "on the pad" photo and post a flight "report". And you are asked to pass it on to another person for free if you no longer want it (or keep it forever). Looking for a good home and hoping others join me in passing on rockets! Photos below!!

I have written a number down on a Post-It note. This number is between 1 and 50. PM me OR post your guess and the closest person gets it. I will call it tomorrow morning- 9/16/21. You got 24 hours.....Good Luck!!

p.s. free shipping to you!

Andrew

View attachment 481832

View attachment 481833

View attachment 481834

Wow your generosity is well just wow! Looks like a beautiful model. 😍

BSNW

Reaction score
Wow your generosity is well just wow! Looks like a beautiful model. 😍

Thanks!
Pick a number and it could be yours. Actually not a single person has replied. So, if nobody else submits a guess/number by tomorrow morning, you can have it if you want it.
Andrew

BSNW

Reaction score
The number was 7 and the winning guess was 12. I will pack it up and send it out to you sometime early next week! I hope you enjoy the model!
Thanks for your participation!!

Possibly more models coming in the next few weeks.

Peace
Andrew

bad_idea

A known cause of NaN errors
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Great idea for a thread, and kudos for your generosity! 👍 I don't have anything to give away for now but will keep this thread in mind in case I ever do.

BSNW

Reaction score
OK here we go again! This one is a B.O.G.O!

FREE
for the taking are two rockets. Each BT60 based. They are each "Three Bangers", meaning they are 3x18mm cluster rockets. GREAT FUN!

#1) The red and grey one has flown about 4 times on 3 C6-5's. Has beautiful bass wood fins, it has a baffle! and a Kevlar shock cord mount. The entire inside of the body-tube has two coats of polyurethane for protection and cleanup. Has 3/16th lugs. A real "spectakuuuLAR" performer. I guess you still could go with three B6's if you want.

#2) This is a kit that is partially painted and NEVER FLOWN. It is...I think...a kit from Red River rocketry or is it Starlight? Anyway, cant remember the name. It has a different nose cone from the kit and the top payload was shortened a bit as the original length, IMO, was a bit long and goofy looking. The TOP and transitions have been painted but the bottom three tubes (motor tubes) and fins are in white PRIMER. It has 3/16 lugs. PAINT it and make it your own. FLY the crap out of them for a grand old time. Oh, the inside also has been coated with polyurethane.

A BONUS bag of model rocket goodies...rings, mounts, motor tubes....lots of stuff will be tossed in to this giveaway. Remember, you can keep it your whole life, but pass it on to another (for free) once you no longer want it.

Once again I have written a number down on a Post-It note...between 1 and 50. The closest person wins everything. I will call out the winner on Wednesday morning.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!! Photos below

Andrew

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

BSNW

Reaction score
NOTE: These two kits have NO thrust rings. Meaning a few wraps of thin tape on your motors for thrust rings and a small piece on the motor for friction fit and you are good to go.

BTW: The Red Max went to GA. VERY COOL! Kind of neat to think these rockets will be at launches allover the country. Fun times.

Good luck
A

Last edited:

Stewman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Andrew - what a generous gesture, and a great way to pay it forward. And you build some very nice models. I've been building rockets almost my whole life, and if I could cash in on all the kits (built and unbuilt) that I have given away over the years, I could retire (again). Ha

Regards,

BSNW

Reaction score
OK!

There were a number of guesses. THANK YOU all for your participation! Remember to fly it and keep it/them as long as you like, but pass it on for free if you no longer want them.

ALSO, if anyone who has gotten rockets and are willing to post a photo of them on the pad or share a short flight report that would be awesome!

The winning number (actually picked by my wife) was 22 with the winning guess of 31. I have already contacted the winner via PM. Thanks for participating!

Already thinking of the next build for this thread! Fun times!

Peace
Andrew

tsmith1315

Reaction score
The Red Max went to GA.

And so, in GA, the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruitbats... *

And when the peanuts have been pulled and the cotton has been combined, the good neighbors and grandchildren will come out to the empty fields to watch The Red Max fly high into the South Georgia heavens! And we will all sing of Andrew.

Well... maybe not the singing part, but my neighbors did ask me to let them know the next time we fly something so they can watch. They heard my last H flight and came up to ask if I heard a "funny noise".

Seriously, Andrew, this is a beautifully built kit, ready for low or mid-power flight. Y'all, he even included some tape for a thrust ring so that only a motor and pad are needed. And... he threw in an unrelated 4x18mm cluster motor mount kit that obligates me to build more rockets! "I have to build another one, Dear. Andrew gave me the parts to start with, it would be rude not to follow through with it.";) What a pal!

Time for a careful Red Max sim in Open Rocket to pick out what motors to order!:D Fortunately, the fields aren't ready for rockets yet, so I won't be tempted to just stick whatever 24mm I have in it and let 'er rip. Pics will be posted in this thread when it takes to the sky.

Thank you, kind sir!

*Monty Python fan status required for this line to have proper effect

BSNW

Reaction score
And so, in GA, the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruitbats... *

And when the peanuts have been pulled and the cotton has been combined, the good neighbors and grandchildren will come out to the empty fields to watch The Red Max fly high into the South Georgia heavens! And we will all sing of Andrew.

Well... maybe not the singing part, but my neighbors did ask me to let them know the next time we fly something so they can watch. They heard my last H flight and came up to ask if I heard a "funny noise".

Seriously, Andrew, this is a beautifully built kit, ready for low or mid-power flight. Y'all, he even included some tape for a thrust ring so that only a motor and pad are needed. And... he threw in an unrelated 4x18mm cluster motor mount kit that obligates me to build more rockets! "I have to build another one, Dear. Andrew gave me the parts to start with, it would be rude not to follow through with it.";) What a pal!

Time for a careful Red Max sim in Open Rocket to pick out what motors to order!:D Fortunately, the fields aren't ready for rockets yet, so I won't be tempted to just stick whatever 24mm I have in it and let 'er rip. Pics will be posted in this thread when it takes to the sky.

Thank you, kind sir!

*Monty Python fan status required for this line to have proper effect

Oh man! My wife and were laughing so hard! Dude, you're too funny! I am so glad it will see the Georgia sky! Wow what fun!!
Enjoy and thanks for your participation!
Andrew

BSNW

Reaction score
Okay...Onward!

I went shopping today at hobby lobby for the next "traveling rocket". Stay tuned, and give me some time to build it. In the meantime anyone is welcome to join in! It is really fun!

Until next time!

p.s. to the guy who is getting the "three bangers", don't worry, I have not forgotten about you! I just need to find a longer box!

Andrew