The Gambler Breaks Even...RIP Kenny

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer. He certainly lived a full life. I preferred his earlier music, but most did not. He certainly achieved an enviable level of success, his legacy will live on in his art. RIP.

Jim

He was ubiquitous in the mid-late 1970s. As a small tyke, I think I heard "The Gambler" and "The Coward of the County" about 1,000 times each just on the radio. I can sing most of the lyrics to either song by memory still.

My favorite Rogers song (not sure if he wrote it or just performed it), quite ahead of my time, has to be:

And a close second:

I used to help my grandfather out on the family ranch during summer vacations (more likely a way my dad found that could reduce the cost of feeding the family for a few weeks). Often I'd be riding into town with my grandmother in her 8 track equipped Ford Pinto, and we'd be listening to Kenny's Greatest Hits album. I love those memories. Sadly the ranch was sold after the death of my great-grandmother. Given a lottery ticket win, I'd like to approach Patrick Duffy (the actor who bought it) and try to buy all, or part of it, back. I especially want my great-grandmother's house site back in the family. It was supposed to go to my dad, but the feud between my grandfather and my not so grand uncle lead to the property being sold.

Rest In Peace Kenny!

Latest posts

Back