The Future of this hobby.....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont be surprised if I get another rocket. LOL
Fantastic. A nice looking bird. Over 2 feet and a good size body tube. This will put on a nice show. Happy for you. I still have to continue my 24mm Gabriell III Launchpad model. lol
Thanks, it’s been on my radar for like 40 plus years 🤓 Your Gabriell III is really a cool looking bird. You should get some great performance out of it using 24mm engines. I can see why you liked Launchpad models. Looks like a well put together kit. 😉👍

Fantastic. A nice looking bird. Over 2 feet and a good size body tube. This will put on a nice show. Happy for you. I still have to continue my 24mm Gabriell III Launchpad model. lol
I’ve got one of those that’s been sitting in primer for months now, lol. I’ve been looking for actual photos of one for the paint scheme, but no dice so far. Israel so secretive. I went so far as to ask my cousin’s husband (who’s in the IDF) to find something for me and even he can’t. So my model sits and waits. Every once in a while, I sand and prime it again — and stare forlornly at it.
image.jpg

Thanks, it’s been on my radar for like 40 plus years 🤓 Your Gabriell III is really a cool looking bird. You should get some great performance out of it using 24mm engines. I can see why you liked Launchpad models. Looks like a well put together kit. 😉👍
Thanks,they were unique kits. I have a few of them. Their building methods are a bit more difficult . They are nice looking when done.

I’ve got one of those that’s been sitting in primer for months now, lol. I’ve been looking for actual photos of one for the paint scheme, but no dice so far. Israel so secretive. I went so far as to ask my cousin’s husband (who’s in the IDF) to find something for me and even he can’t. So my model sits and waits. Every once in a while, I sand and prime it again — and stare forlornly at it.
View attachment 432135
Yeah!!!! There it is. I haven't got that far yet. How was the upper fin assembly wrapping the Cardboard paper over the fin frames? I get a kick out of painting the super glue over some of the cardboard cut out like the Boat Tail. What did you use? I will send you a photo of the picture of it that came with the kit.You did an excellent job on the Nose cone and fins.002.JPG in case you dont have it. I think I will do it the way they show it. Pretty Secret the Israeli"s. LOL

Yeah!!!! There it is. I haven't got that far yet. How was the upper fin assembly wrapping the Cardboard paper over the fin frames? I get a kick out of painting the super glue over some of the cardboard cut out like the Boat Tail. What did you use? I will send you a photo of the picture of it that came with the kit.You did an excellent job on the Nose cone and fins.View attachment 432144 in case you dont have it. I think I will do it the way they show it. Pretty Secret the Israeli"s. LOL
Upper fin assembly was fun. I enjoyed it. I cut each piece of the frame long and sanded it to the correct length. I cut the cardstock for each fin long, prescored along the fold lines and sanded to fit after I glued it to the frame.

The only thing I didn't think about until it was too late is that painting the boat tail with super glue means you can't use wood glue for the fin-boat tail joint. The CA will prevent the wood glue from soaking in to the paper. I think I should have glued the fins on first, then CA'ed the boat tail. Instead, I ended up epoxying the rear fins to the frame and boat tail. The built up fins got wood glue.

As for the nose cone - it was the first time I glued a paper cap on a plastic cone. It looked really bad at first, but I must have primed and sanded like 5 times. That's why it looks so smooth now. Not having a paint scheme is gonna make this rocket look real nice if I ever find a scheme to paint it. :headspinning:

I really like that missile. The Gabriel is sweet. I remember the first time I saw one in s museum.

Upper fin assembly was fun. I enjoyed it. I cut each piece of the frame long and sanded it to the correct length. I cut the cardstock for each fin long, prescored along the fold lines and sanded to fit after I glued it to the frame.

The only thing I didn't think about until it was too late is that painting the boat tail with super glue means you can't use wood glue for the fin-boat tail joint. The CA will prevent the wood glue from soaking in to the paper. I think I should have glued the fins on first, then CA'ed the boat tail. Instead, I ended up epoxying the rear fins to the frame and boat tail. The built up fins got wood glue.

As for the nose cone - it was the first time I glued a paper cap on a plastic cone. It looked really bad at first, but I must have primed and sanded like 5 times. That's why it looks so smooth now. Not having a paint scheme is gonna make this rocket look real nice if I ever find a scheme to paint it. :headspinning:
Good thought on the Boat Tail with the gluing part. I have to do the same thing you did. OOPS ! Good move on the Fin frame. I will do the same as you did for the upper fins. Thanks for the tips. Did you get the photo I sent.I will send it again.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 3
If I may be so bold -

I do believe the future of this hobby lies in the electronics, cameras, altimeters, electronic events during flight. Seeing if it flies, altitude attempts, are no longer enough.

May I suggest (and take credit for, heh heh) EBSR, Event-Based Sport Rocketry

Staging, cameras, video, chute-deployment, flight profile recording, (and my personal favorite, self-contained launch gear - in the rocket) what else?

Last edited:
If I may be so bold -

I do believe the future of this hobby lies in the electronics, cameras, altimeters, electronic events during flight. Seeing if it flies, altitude attempts, are no longer enough.

Staging, cameras, video, chute-deployment, flight profile recording, (and my personal favorite, self-contained launch gear - in the rocket) what else?

Duly noted, though this suggestion has been posited for many years. "Whoosh-pop" is entertaining for the first couple flights, but after that, the rocket needs to "do" something to spark interest.

Glad to see that you moved from paper catalogs to electronic payloads as the future of the hobby!

CATALOGS
A few years ago my dad (typical old dude) was showing me a PDF on his computer. His favorite Estes Catalog the 1971 edition. He went on and on about how great it was, especially the yellow pages (technical manual) in the middle. He used to read it in bed under the covers with a flashlight.

I found a good copy on ebay and got it for his birthday. The look on his face - I thought his head was going to explode. He really did cry a bit.

However - my generation born after 2000... if its not on Tik-Tok - we don't care about it.

Humm - that gives me an idea for a new Tic-Tok. :headspinning:

No promises - *If* I make a rocketry Tik-ToK -I'll post about it on TRF.

If I may be so bold -

CATALOGS
A few years ago my dad (typical old dude) was showing me a PDF on his computer. His favorite Estes Catalog the 1971 edition. He went on and on about how great it was, especially the yellow pages (technical manual) in the middle. He used to read it in bed under the covers with a flashlight.

I found a good copy on ebay and got it for his birthday. The look on his face - I thought his head was going to explode. He really did cry a bit.

However - my generation born after 2000... if its not on Tik-Tok - we don't care about it.

I agree that the old Vern Estes era catalogs are probably not going to inspire today’s youth like they did the Cold War era generations. I think we need to get the word out through YouTube and like Sabrina mentioned Tik-Tok. Somehow we need to generate interest in the hobby like the catalogs did for us “old dudes” in our youth. 😉

Duly noted, though this suggestion has been posited for many years. "Whoosh-pop" is entertaining for the first couple flights, but after that, the rocket needs to "do" something to spark interest.

We probably shouldn't forget to promote some things we already have in place like the TARC, NARTEK, and NARTREK Cadet programs. They push you beyond just Whoosh-Pop.

CATALOGS

Nice. That made his day Im sure.711estf.jpg711estf.jpg711estf.jpg

But a lot of those old catalogs are badly cropped with text cut off. You're better off going to Ninfinger.

During the past flying season I've been scratching my head over this hobby going from a futuristic hobby for tweens and teens to a nostalgic hobby for old guys. It's odd.

I'm wondering if we need a Space Race II; the Cosmic Boogaloo to prime things. Maybe US and UK zillionaires, and Asian corporations and Communists get into a big competition with each other. But I don't necessarily see that happening.

Hopefully, the Langsfords will get Estes back on track with a multiple pronged approach from Target to the hobby stores. I was thinking about how Tunick probably fumbled the '90s BAR boom by dumping on the hobbyists who would have made the best boosters, while pandering to Walmart mass market. He couldn't realize that doing both wasn't exclusive. In contrast, beleaguered era Apple of that period encouraged their "evangelicals" even if they could get annoying ("If Cupertino had any brains they'd be doing [my daydream out loud project or strategy]!") It's also a shame that Quest never evolved into any real competition.

But a lot of those old catalogs are badly cropped with text cut off. You're better off going to Ninfinger.

During the past flying season I've been scratching my head over this hobby going from a futuristic hobby for tweens and teens to a nostalgic hobby for old guys. It's odd.

I'm wondering if we need a Space Race II; the Cosmic Boogaloo to prime things. Maybe US and UK zillionaires, and Asian corporations and Communists get into a big competition with each other. But I don't necessarily see that happening.

Hopefully, the Langsfords will get Estes back on track with a multiple pronged approach from Target to the hobby stores. I was thinking about how Tunick probably fumbled the '90s BAR boom by dumping on the hobbyists who would have made the best boosters, while pandering to Walmart mass market. He couldn't realize that doing both wasn't exclusive. In contrast, beleaguered era Apple of that period encouraged their "evangelicals" even if they could get annoying ("If Cupertino had any brains they'd be doing [my daydream out loud project or strategy]!") It's also a shame that Quest never evolved into any real competition.
I bought my first rocket when I was 12 at our small town small Drug store . There were Centuri and Estes kits hanging on the wall. About 30 assorted kits. The "Astro 1 " for under 2 dollars. Next to it was my 2nd kit "Iris". I will never forget how excited I was walking home with those kits.

Attachments

• iris.jpg
    iris.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 71cen12.jpg
    71cen12.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 3
I really like that missile. The Gabriel is sweet. I remember the first time I saw one in s museum.
I see you are Tripoli 1 thru 3. That is awesome. I wish I had someone close by who could qualify me. What is it like flying High Power? To fly theseIM003029 (1).JPG1988 aerobee.jpg1988 aerobee.jpg on High Power would be nice.

Last edited:
View attachment 432135
Putting together the upper stage fin frames on the Gabriell III . A lot of cutting and sanding. Do you remember that part ? You did a great job. Then on to wrapping the cardboard cut out fin covers.

Attachments

• DSCF3519.JPG
    DSCF3519.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 18
Putting together the upper stage fin frames on the Gabriell III . A lot of cutting and sanding. Do you remember that part ? You did a great job. Then on to wrapping the cardboard cut out fin covers.
Yours look good! Some careful sanding and they will look very nice. I cut the fin wraps extra wide and trimmed them after I glued them on. Make sure you get a good crease before you glue them on to the frames. They will look sharper that way.

Yours look good! Some careful sanding and they will look very nice. I cut the fin wraps extra wide and trimmed them after I glued them on. Make sure you get a good crease before you glue them on to the frames. They will look sharper that way.
Thank you, Hmmm, making them extra wide like you mentioned was a smart idea you did. I kept the lines on and I did crease them like it says. A lot of cutting,angles and sanding. Now I have to coat with super glue and sealer.

Attachments

• DSCF3521.JPG
    DSCF3521.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 13
Great video of your LIRR GP38-2 👍 I think we’re both doomed. I just picked up a Citation Patriot today. Something to work on during the Winter 😉
Have you started your Patriot Rocket yet? Now Im building the upper fins on the Gabby III.Gabriell III.lol

Attachments

• DSCF3519.JPG
    DSCF3519.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF3521.JPG
    DSCF3521.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 4
View attachment 432135
Do you have other Launchpad Kits? I have a few of them I got a few years ago before they sadly Bellied Up. Nice Impressive challenging kits they were. Would be nice if they came back.
Did you epoxy these fins or just white glue?

Have you started your Patriot Rocket yet? Now Im building the upper fins on the Gabby III.Gabriell III.lol
Your upper fins are looking great 👍 What do you use to seal the fins with? Haven’t worked on the Patriot yet, just finished a old Mantua 0-4-0 project and started a Penn Central boxcar upgrade this weekend.

Your upper fins are looking great 👍 What do you use to seal the fins with? Haven’t worked on the Patriot yet, just finished a old Mantua 0-4-0 project and started a Penn Central boxcar upgrade this weekend.
I'll have to go to youtube and see if you have upload on the 040 and boxcar. They say to coat the fins with super glue to harden them then sanding sealer. It worked well on my other birds from them.

I'll have to go to youtube and see if you have upload on the 040 and boxcar. They say to coat the fins with super glue to harden them then sanding sealer. It worked well on my other birds from them.
I’ll have to try the Super Glue trick. When I do my paper covered fins I will use the brush on Super Glue for them.
I’m still putting together the videos for those projects. I stabbed myself with an X-Acto blade doing the boxcar project. So I’m only at 50% of useful handiwork and typing. 😉 Working at a hospital has advantages, I did a DIY stitch job to save on a ER trip and bill. An EMT showed me how after a previous X-Acto incident with the same hand. Who says you need a medical license to practice medicine 🤓

Latest posts

Back