The Fourth Estate Listened!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNoir

Reaction score
I flew American Airlines to the NARCON last weekend, and read their inflight magazine, The American Way. The last page article attributed the first liquid fueled rocket flight to J. Robert Oppenheimer instead of Dr. Robert Goddard, so having attended the NARCON at Clark University, I felt obligated to send a note. I found an email link to the editor at the American Airlines website and sent this message:

= = = = = = = = = = = = =

Dear editor:

I don't know who did the research or the editing on Cathy Booth Thomas' story "Countdown to Spaceport America" in the March 1 American Way, but I have to believe that every space enthusiast who read the article went into a fit when they read that "J. Robert Oppenheimer" was man who flew the first liquid fueled rocket. Those of us in the know understand that it was really Dr. Robert H. Goddard.

--
Kind regards,
Mark B. Bundick
Past President, National Association of Rocketry

Much to my shock and amazement, I got the following reply:

Dear Mr. Bundick:

You are absolutely correct. Dr. Goddard was, is, and will forever be the father of modern rocketry. You are also correct that we've received quite a few letters about this. We are extremely embarrassed by this error and are taking measure to insure such unfortunate mistakes do not make their way into American Way in the future. We're fiercely proud of our track record for accuracy, and we take no black eyes lightly. This is certainly a black eye. Thank you very much for your feedback, and please accept our apology.

Sincere Best Wishes,
Adam Pitluk
Executive Editor
American Way and Celebrated Living magazines

:D

Last edited:
Wow, an executive editor who doesn't know the difference between insure and ensure.....

Wow, an executive editor who doesn't know the difference between insure and ensure.....

Hehehehe... now THAT'S funny right there!!

The dumbing down of America strikes again!

Geez, communication is ONLY THESE PEOPLE'S CAREERS! Think they might have stayed awake in ENGLISH CLASS??

I'm just an old TX farmboy who frequently gets looked down upon for my rural upbringing and hick ways, and was a source of great amusement in New Jersey with my distinct Texas drawl... but even I know how to effectively communicate...

The important thing is, I'm sure they both have degrees...

LOL:) Oh well...

Later! OL JR :)

LOL!!! Uh..., I'm not sure I feel too good about their "measures".

Now Mark, you know you wouldn't have gotten a response without the last line of your signature? ;)

I'm just an old TX farmboy who frequently gets looked down upon for my rural upbringing and hick ways, and was a source of great amusement in New Jersey with my distinct Texas drawl... but
even I know how to effectively communicate...

:neener: Huh? :neener:

:duck: :duck: :duck:

Maybe this is DECLASSIFIED information: Oppie was working on a cesium N rocket!

:eek:

Greg

Back