The Flying Disc Golf Basket of Death and Distruction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

DAllen

Reaction score
Hmmmmm not sure. My initial thought is I motor = par 3 and a J motor = par 4.

lol

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know either, do you factor in any water or tree hazards at the field, and wind conditions?

DAllen

Reaction score
Good point. However, disc golf doesn't change par based on environmental conditions but wind would play a factor in basket drift and thus overall hole length. We may have to file a rule exemption from the Professional Disc Golf Association for a "Varialble Par" rule.

:D

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Good point. However, disc golf doesn't change par based on environmental conditions but wind would play a factor in basket drift and thus overall hole length. We may have to file a rule exemption from the Professional Disc Golf Association for a "Varialble Par" rule.

:D
I looked it up and yes there is a Professional Disc Golf Association. It’s a amazing the number of different ways a person can earn a living these days!

https://www.pdga.com/

DAllen

Reaction score
Haha it is kind of amazing really ;)

Even though there's "Professional" in the name anyone can get a PDGA membership. I'm a member but that just means they accepted my $50 yearly membership dues. If I tried to make a living playing disc golf I'd be starving in the dark in short order. Now there are a handful of people that do make a living at playing disc golf believe it or not. The top rated pro - Paul McBeth - just signed a deal with his sponsor Discraft for $1 million over 4 years which in this sport is completely ground breaking. I seriously doubt any other pro is making anything close to those numbers.

On the disc golf pro tour there are three types of people:

1. Those that win a lot
2. Trust fund kids
3. Really poor people

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice!

DAllen

Reaction score
As much as I upchuck a bit when I say it, Dave really has a hole in one with this thing. Nice job Dave.
Thanks!!!

FYI...They're called 'aces' in disc golf. Not that I expect you to know such nuanced details. However I do expect to be parked next to you at Airfest lol. Bring your reinforced shelter.

BBrown

Kloudbuster Prefect
Reaction score
Thanks!!!

FYI...They're called 'aces' in disc golf. Not that I expect you to know such nuanced details. However I do expect to be parked next to you at Airfest lol. Bring your reinforced shelter.
Do the people that run AirFest know you plan on bringing that to the Rocket Pasture again? :)

DAllen

Reaction score
Do the people that run AirFest know you plan on bringing that to the Rocket Pasture again? :)
I feel like this is a loaded question lol

I think those that run Airfest are aware now. :D

DAllen

Reaction score
It flew again yesterday. After landing the chute re-inflated and it got dragged pretty hard in the 15 mph winds. 6 of the 8 upper spokes broke loose so the upper section will have to be rebuilt in some fashion. My goal is to have it ready to fly for Mini MWP - but that's going to be a rather ambitious goal considering my upcoming work schedule.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It flew again yesterday. After landing the chute re-inflated and it got dragged pretty hard in the 15 mph winds. 6 of the 8 upper spokes broke loose so the upper section will have to be rebuilt in some fashion. My goal is to have it ready to fly for Mini MWP - but that's going to be a rather ambitious goal considering my upcoming work schedule.

Nice! And one of the more entertaining “post landing” videos I have seen.

your flight supports another discussion on spin on launch in camera rockets, it seems ring fins or box fins tend to have less spin.