The eye-bolt ... to glue or not to glue?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murrill

Reaction score
I'm building a PML Patriot (1/4 scale) and have a small construction question. There are two sections of QT body tube, and separation occurs between the two tubes. The upper section is the shorter of the two, and the nose cone is semi-permanently attached to the upper section with PML removeable rivets. A bulkhead is glued into the bottom of the upper section and is used to couple the two body tubes. A circular piece of plywood is glued into the rear end of the bulkhead to seal it off, and an eye-bolt is then screwed into the middle of the plywood. The nylon strap that connects the two pieces is attached to the motor mount on the lower tube, and to the eye bolt on the upper tube. (I think this is all pretty standard construction stuff.) My question is, should I place a drop of epoxy on the nut that screws onto the eye bolt to lock it into place, or should I simply tighten the nut down as much possible without any glue? I don't see any drawback to using a drop of epoxy; then again, I've never built a rocket this big, and I don't want to do anything irreversible.
I would appreciate some feedback on this issue.
Thanks!
j

I don't think a drop of epoxy will hurt anything, nor do I think that a drop of epoxy would stop you from removing the nut later.

Or, you can use a product like Loc-Tite (used to keep the screws in firearms from vibrating loose). Or a lock washer (probably about six cents at your local hardware store). Or after you screw the nut down tight, run another nut up tight against the first one. Or after you screw the nut down tight, use an anvil and a punch to deform the threads right behind the nut.

I would use a nylon locknut or a 2-way locknut. I don't like lockwashers. A "drop" of epoxy would probably shear off a plated fastener quite easily.

So far I've only torqued them down with a flat washer underneath to spread the forces out. None have come loose yet. Epoxy will definatly break free from metal nuts and bolts if you put a wrench to them but it should stop them from loosening for quite awhile (same for locktite of course) I just haven't bothered yet.

Originally posted by SwingWing
I would use a nylon locknut or a 2-way locknut.
I agree with using a "Ny-loc". The only time one of these nuts will loosen is when you take it back apart with a wrench. Although, there really shoudn't be any reason for having to dismantle the eyebolt, once installed.
I rarely use a standard nut anymore.

I don't think the epoxy will hurt anything, but JB Weld will probably hold metal parts better. Make sure you only use it in places where you never intend to remove the screws though.

What Kermie said, unless you want to hit it with a BMFH or a torch... I'm an ex-salt water mechanic.

Raid your mother/wife/girlfriend/sisters makeup box for nail varnish and put it on the threads first. Sanding sealer works fine as well.
David

Back