The Expanse

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, there is "artificial gravity" in the "Expanse Universe". The standout for this is in season 3, when the protomolecule station within the "Ring Gateway" suddenly reduces the max transit speed rule which fubars all the ships moving at that moment. The Belter's Behemoth sends out the call to aid all ships that have lost gravity as the Behemoth has "Spin Gravity" and therefore can tend to all the wounded.
The SF term ā€œartificial gravityā€ implies a method to increase the relative mass of ā€œsomethingā€ to create a gravity ā€œfieldā€ in or around a ship or space station using some kind of technology beyond our current understanding - spin induced centripetal force or thrust created pseudo gravity isnā€™t outside our current level of technology, it may not be practical but it doesnā€™t rely on alien protomolecules or handwavium. So there is no human produced ā€œartificial gravityā€ in the world of the Expanse. The use of alien science for any technology outside our basic understanding of the universe is a solid plot device that lets the writers have their interstellar travel cake and eat it too.

You should try Audible, when the book gets a great voice actor, it makes the book even more of a pleasure. The Expanse HAS an AWESOME voice actor in Jefferson Mays.
I should get these, I have 12+ overflowing audible credits. No more commute to work so I don't use them as much

First season 6 trailer is out:
Awesome! I canā€™t wait!

This is officially the final season, at least on Amazon.
Thatā€˜s a downer, but I think we already knew that? There was no way they were going to hit the last three books. I vaguely recall talk of a movie, maybe?

Only six episodes, starting Dec. 10.
Thatā€™s the worst news Iā€™ve heard all day. Why only 6?

Bezos spent all the Expanse production cash on flying into space. :confused:

In late summer I re-watched the first 5 seasons over a couple or three weeks. I had watched all but season 5 before. Taking it all in order over this time frame really made the stories and seasons hang together.

Truly excellent science fiction television, with high quality CGI, good acting and great story telling.

Looking forward to (the sadly abbreviated) season 6.

I watched it last night as it seems to post maybe east coast time so it's still Thurs night for me. I wasn't expecting to watch it, but I noticed it. I won't say anything about it tho

FYI, I read there is supposed to be some bonus content after each of the first 5 episodes, a short or something. Iā€™m not sure if it just plays after the episode or if it has to be accessed. Iā€™ll probably watch it this weekend. And then bitch about having to wait a whole week for the next episode.

I got fed up with the every Friday thing with previous seasons so I'm waiting until they're all out and then I'll binge the whole season
Youā€™re a better man than me.

EDIT: I swear that when I typed this out, I didnā€™t remember we had this exact same conversation almost a year ago. šŸ˜‚

I enjoyed the first episode; great to have this series going again. Just keep me occupied until S2 of Resident Alien starts up. :)

I think we're set up for a good final season, despite the fact that I've always been a bit irritated by Marco Inaros's character and man oh man Filip is a hot mess.

I wish those turkeys at Amazon would release season 5 on disk already. Their streaming service was crap the one time I did the free 30-day trial, and I'm not paying for stuttering and buffering all the time. I've already got seasons 1-4 on disk...

FYI, I read there is supposed to be some bonus content after each of the first 5 episodes, a short or something. Iā€™m not sure if it just plays after the episode or if it has to be accessed. Iā€™ll probably watch it this weekend. And then bitch about having to wait a whole week for the next episode.

Just watched it. Iā€™m not going to comment on the episode yet, other than to say I liked it.

I figured out how to access the bonus content. If you pause the show, youā€™ll see a link to something called ā€œx-rayā€. Thereā€™s a bunch of info, including shortcuts to each scene, the actors in the scene, trivia and bonus content. Click bonus content and there should be behind the scenes photos, episode stills, and a short called ā€œAnkawalaā€. Itā€™s about 5 minutes long and a nice little add-on after the episode that didn't really need to be part of the episode.

One weird thing: I wasnā€™t able to access it on my TV, only on my phone. Not sure why, but the short didnā€™t show up among the bonus content. so be warned if you donā€™t see it at first. Try different hardware.

I wish those turkeys at Amazon would release season 5 on disk already. Their streaming service was crap the one time I did the free 30-day trial, and I'm not paying for stuttering and buffering all the time. I've already got seasons 1-4 on disk...
I imagine it will come out soon now that season 6 is out, but Iā€™ve never had a streaming issue. Maybe itā€™s your internet service?

I imagine it will come out soon now that season 6 is out, but Iā€™ve never had a streaming issue. Maybe itā€™s your internet service?

Nope, not my Internet service; we can stream Youtube just fine, Netflix just fine.

"Downloaded seasons 1-3. Will take a look. "
Hang in there. It starts off a bit slow, as there is a lot of background to get to. Epidode 4 (CQB) is where it gets rolling along.

Enjoyed the season 6 launch and it's an interesting idea to stretch out the Strange Dogs story over the six eps. By the time it concludes it will have more context AND tease at what's to come if the show gets picked up by another network. I'm 3/4 through the final book, at the moment. I sure hope they find a way to get that made for TV.

1639326600590.png

Latest posts

Back