The Expanse TV series SPOILER thread (seasons 1-6)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This thread is for discussing anything at all about seasons 1-6 of The Expanse TV series.

SPOILERS for the TV series are fine. If you haven't finished season 6 yet, don't read this thread. You have been warned.

Please do *not* spoil the last three books.

I'll start: I'm not really sure how they got Marco sent into the netherworld like that. All I saw that that they blew up one ship. I thought that was all handled a bit casually, seemed too easy.

I also thought that the bit with Clarissa finding out about her terminal condition was sort of left hanging.

The bit with Holden stepping down and handing things over to Drummer was handled fantastically, especially with the cut to Avasarala muttering "don't do it" to herself.

I have to believe that the *only* reason they included the Laconia business was to set up future seasons. Otherwise it just consumed airtime that could have been better spent elsewhere.

Can we discuss differences between the books and the tv show?

@neil_w I'm with you on the various things left hanging. For me, leaving that much hanging without a likely sequel show on the books is very poor management of the "franchise/intellectual property" that they own.

That said, I loved the series and consider it among the best scifi ever done for TV. I'm a big fan of the Ron Moore BSG universe; Expanse isn't far behind.

I'll start: I'm not really sure how they got Marco sent into the netherworld like that. All I saw that that they blew up one ship. I thought that was all handled a bit casually, seemed too easy.

I also thought that the bit with Clarissa finding out about her terminal condition was sort of left hanging.

The bit with Holden stepping down and handing things over to Drummer was handled fantastically, especially with the cut to Avasarala muttering "don't do it" to herself.

I have to believe that the *only* reason they included the Laconia business was to set up future seasons. Otherwise it just consumed airtime that could have been better spent elsewhere.

This is what was done in the books. Holden took the position then resigned in favor of Camina Drummer. As for Laconia, in the books Laconia has EVERYTHING to do with the rest of the story. Laconia was not thrown in as a tease for future seasons.

One other thing, the show made Winston Duarte look far too benign. In reality, Duarte is a ruthless b*st*rd. If the show ever does go on, you will see just how ruthless Duarte is. Until then, you MUST read the books.

As for Laconia, in the books Laconia has EVERYTHING to do with the rest of the story. Laconia was not thrown in as a tease for future seasons.
Yeah but the rest of the story is... future seasons. And I do hope they find a way to them, somehow or other.

I did rather enjoy when Duarte told Marco Inaros to suck it. :)

Yeah but the rest of the story is... future seasons. And I do hope they find a way to them, somehow or other.

I did rather enjoy when Duarte told Marco Inaros to suck it. :)

When the small group of scientists on Laconia were grieving for the boy who was killed by the overturning cart, two people were talking about the driver’s fate possibly being a firing squad, haha, no such easy ending for that guy. People who committed offenses on Laconia, even as trivial as not being in proper uniform (military) like wearing an unapproved pin, they were sent to the pens by order of Admiral Duarte/God Emperor Duarte.

Though this thread includes spoilers for those who haven’t watched the final episodes, explaining the “pens” would be a dirty trick on my part for those who haven’t read all the books. So . . . READ THE BOOKS!!!

Edit: You know, the “pens” should have been exposed in this season of the Expanse, as the fate of the driver whose crash killed the boy was known in the book “Strange Dogs,” which was the name of the first episode of this final season.

Last edited:

It's explained a bit better in the books. "Going Dutchman," as it comes to be called, happens when too much stuff is moving through the rings in a short period of time. In the books, they don't blow up the massive cargo ship, they just send it through a ring just as Marco is about to head through.

Did anyone else catch the ending credits tease? As the credits played over the customary shot of the ring, the red ripples of the alien entities started appearing and getting more numerous. And Duarte’s warship appeared in the background.

Back