The Executioner

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max_Power004

Reaction score
I'm building the Executioner, it's only my second level 3 after building the SR-71. I really want this rocket to look perfect. Any suggestions on doing the "stock" paint job? It looks difficult
:( I am also very open to suggestions on building this beauty and making it last.:)

BTW, I have already looked at rocketreviews.com, it's my first stop after buying a rocket:D I thought I'd check the forum for more suggestions

Max_Power004,

The Executioner paint scheme does seem challenging, but isn't real difficult. The yellow pinstripping is the worse. I painted mine all silver. Let it dry for a week then started taping it off to paint the gloss black. Look at the cover art real close. The fins line up with the points of the black. Take your time and it will turn out ok. Did you build the model stock(with no modifications.ei, ply centering rings or baffel system)?

Its a nice looking rocket painted original.........Larry

The executioner is on my "wish" list at the moment , let us know how it all works out and keep the pics flowing ! :)

Paul

Originally posted by Larry
Max_Power004,

The Executioner paint scheme does seem challenging, but isn't real difficult. The yellow pinstripping is the worse. I painted mine all silver. Let it dry for a week then started taping it off to paint the gloss black. Look at the cover art real close. The fins line up with the points of the black. Take your time and it will turn out ok. Did you build the model stock(with no modifications.ei, ply centering rings or baffel system)?

Its a nice looking rocket painted original.........Larry

I'm building it stock. I heard that the centering rings were weak, but I don't know much about modding rockets, so I thought I would just use a lot of CA to reenforce them. I put CA fillets around every centering ring joint, and also put a layer of CA on the face of the ring itself, that may be a stupid idea, but it seems pretty solid to me. I guess we'll see.... As far as the baffle system goes, I have no idea how to build one, I thought I would just use a LOT of dog barf and wadding. However, I am curious about how I would go about making plywood centering rings and a baffle system. How would I go about learning about that stuff? Just by asking questions here? Or is there some other wonderful resource of such info?

Max_Power:

For the plywood centering rings, those are a fairly standard item that you can get from several web suppliers.

Check out this link from our very own flying_silverado's eBay store for his company, Thrustline Aerospace:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3180927998&category=2567

If you ask him really nicely, I'm sure he could cut you a nice deal on a shipping rate (that was discussed in another thread.... ;) )

There are several ways of building a baffle system - many ways to "skin that cat." Just to give you one idea, Estes used to produce a kit (about 20-25 yrs. ago) called the Bandit that didn't need wadding, because it used a baffle system. Here's a link to the plans on JimZ's site for the Bandit.
https://www.dars.org/jimz/k-48.htm
Take a look at those pages and you'll get a pretty clear idea of that one. Then, you could come with some ideas and put together one of your own.

That said, I have never built one, but I probably will. I've certainly thought about it and am confident that I could make one work pretty easily.

Actually coating the rings with CA is a pretty smart idea.
I sometimes coat weak balsa fins with CA. Stiffens them up real good.
A very simple ejection baffle is a course steel mesh (like Choir boy pot scrubbing pads. NOT like SOS pads or steel wool, that will burn)epoxied to a centering ring and placed somewhere between your engine and chute. It acts as a flame arrestor.
What burns chutes is the flames and hot chunks from the ejection charge. Chutes can wistand the hot air alone for the fraction of a second they are exposed to it.
Elaborate baffles re-route the the gasses through several 90 degree angles for basically the same effect.
One note of caution. Install any mesh several inches ahead of your motor tube. (the mesh does get hot and can damage the end of your motor tube if left in contact with it.)
Another common method is Nomex pads. They attach to your shock cord via a button hole and rap around the bottom of your chute when you put it in the rocket.
I recently baought a set of these for my low and mid power rockets from our very own Flying_silverad (from his Ebay site)
and am very happy with them.
There is alot of tips and info at NAR.org , tripoli.org and rocketryonline.com and of course you can ask questions you have right here:D

I Dont know why but I never go by the stock paint except a SR-71 but good luck with it

Here is a picture of the simplest baffle:CHAD baffle
You can keep stacking up sections with opposed openings for more protection.

I have painted the whole thing silver. I’m going to be ready to mask off the silver areas pretty soon. What kind of masking material should I use? I heard that after masking, you should spray a clear gloss coat on top of the edge of the tape, to avoid bleeding at the edges. (Basically, to seal it) Is that a good idea? Will the black look weird on top of the part that has the clear coat on it? Basically, what’s the best technique for this?

I painted mine solid purple and put "PEOPLE EATER" on it in white vinyl letters. Thus, the "purple people eater".

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.jonrocket.com

OK, I will be taking the tape off after work tonight. After that, I will be ready for the yellow pinstriping. Any tips on how to do that, what kind to use, and where to get it? I did a search here and didn't really find much. Sorry for the lack of pics, I don't have a digital camera. I will post pics when my 35mm film runs out:eek:

Originally posted by Juaru
I painted mine solid purple and put "PEOPLE EATER" on it in white vinyl letters. Thus, the "purple people eater"

There aren't very many of us left who get the joke.

Back